How is ink level determined?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Memory, these days is cheap.
I know that a laser printer's memory may be upgradable.

Do consumer grade Canon inkjet printers have upgradable memory? I am not aware of this or that one can use an external memory card or USB stick for additional working memory (other than printing from those external memory devices once plugged into the printer).

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
The last printer with upgradable memory was my HP Laserjet 1100, a personal version of the Laserjets - based on a Canon engine BTW - HP developed it's own printer control language PCL for it.

Things of the past, I wonder if such a descriptive language can be used to print a photo on an inkjet.

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3620 , Epson wf-7210
I know that a laser printer's memory may be upgradable.

Do consumer grade Canon inkjet printers have upgradable memory? I am not aware of this or that one can use an external memory card or USB stick for additional working memory (other than printing from those external memory devices once plugged into the printer).
This thread has wandered off topic...

My reply was to a theoretical question. No, current and I suspect past consumer grade printers do not have upgradable memory in the sense I was referring to. It is certainly possible to make a printer that has this ability.

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
The last printer with upgradable memory was my HP Laserjet 1100, a personal version of the Laserjets - based on a Canon engine BTW - HP developed it's own printer control language PCL for it.

Things of the past, I wonder if such a descriptive language can be used to print a photo on an inkjet.
Yes, it is possible to use a page descriptive. See if Ghostscript supports the printer.

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, HP 7760, RX500
Yeah, we really took this original post off script...while we're at it...
I owned an Epson 9-pin dot matrix printer in the early '80s when I worked at Computer Baron in Costa Mesa, California, where we repaired such printers (like Okidata, Brother, Epson, etc.) by replacing the print head. A major increase in technology is when we went from 9-pin to 24-pin.
This was when WordPerfect (WP) wrote drivers for every printer and took advantage of all of its features down to their embedded fonts. This was before Microsoft killed WP with Windows, sent every font as bitmap (later developed TrueType Font to compete with Adobe PostScript), and moved printer driver development from the Utah based WP software company to each printer manufacture's hardware division who were not up to speed in how to write software printer drivers for Windows.

I created the tightest font so I could print in hi-res the smallest phonebook to fit into my wallet. Once I had enough handwritten phone numbers in it, I'd update my Borland Quattro (I was against Lotus 1-2-3) spreadsheet and reprinted my phonebook. It was my paper version of the PalmPilot and now the smartphone.

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Word Perfect... The only word processor I've used that required me to edit the document outside of the editor to make the document look the way I told the word processor make it look. :thProbably where my anti windows bug got started.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
No, current and I suspect past consumer grade printers do not have upgradable memory in the sense I was referring to.
The Epson I had was upgradable, but you had to solder in the ram stick, and use a firmware patch on a floppy to upgrade to postscript, I was ignorant of the pit falls when this printer first caught my eye... :(
I owned an Epson 9-pin dot matrix printer in the early '80s when I worked at Computer Baron in Costa Mesa, California,
Ah, memories, when things were all so simple and MS was still a baby... :caf