How GOOD is your B&W Printing in Full Colour Mode ?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
The second image is not supposed to be a scanned image, it is the down loaded JPEG file from turbguys posting.

I will go back and check the JPEG. Looks different so I'll edit my original posting. That looks better. There is a difference and you are right, it is difficult to get a good scan.

The 9000 print looked nearly identical to the original posted image on the display, but the scanning has proved to be the weak link and its a PNG file. I wonder if a photograph of the print would be more accurate?

Last edited:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I have scanned the 9000 print with an Epson scanner. First the original JPEG, second the Epson scan and third the HP scan.

Laramie Couds Infrared.jpg Wyoming turbguyepson scanner.jpg Wyoming turbguy2.png

You can see the problem is with the scanners, neither gives the expected result.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
You can see the problem is with the scanners, neither gives the expected result.
Are either of your scanners calibrated such as with Vuescan or Silverast AI and an appropriate it8 target?

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
I get cr@p b&w scans, thought it was just me!!!.
Important thing is do you feel that the Argyll gives you an edge producing IR prints?

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
Why don't you just scan and then desaturate?

Good point BUT......

We are trying to faithfully replicate a print, not make a print of a print that has no relation to the original.

IMHO its a pretty moot point if a scan of ANY print actually represents the original that accurately :idunno

Ps like your Image.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
In answer to your questions:
Neither scanner is profiled and all the controls are left in neutral so to speak. All operations were conducted in full colour mode, not B&W.

My objective was a response to 3dog's post #8. I am able to say the 9000 II print was as good a match to the original file (on my profiled display) as you would desire.
"I owe it all to Argyll":p

Clearly you could adjust the result from the scanner, but there would be no point or value in doing that for the purpose of this exercise.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Now that the topic of the thread has been changed to B/W printing, I will recommend this thread. It covers many B/W printing problems.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Plugged in my old R285 with 6 shades of gray (custom made from fuji drylab ink),
made a print after 3 weeks of idle (expecting cleaning cycles) and scanned it on a canon mp810 (which has an option for WB in the menu)
Scan000936.jpg

But then .. while searching for banding issues .. I found someone looking from above ..

Scan000936god.jpg

.. turbguys shadow .. god .. or just my imagination..?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Clearly you could adjust the result from the scanner, but there would be no point or value in doing that for the purpose of this exercise.
What? We're not worth your best? :tongue

Ok. All kidding aside, if you do not need calibrated scanning then no big deal. Since scanning was part of presenting the image to the forum, and the scanned image was poor, then calibrating the scanner is the best advice as remedy. On the other hand, don't know how well it would work for your scanner.