How GOOD is your B&W Printing in Full Colour Mode ?

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Here's a recent one. Using a old Minolta DiMage 7 (5 MP), with a IR720 filter, and a multi-shot HDR combination. This cam was manufactured with a very weak IR cut filter, so the auto-focus and EVF still work, even looking through a filter so dark you can't see through it...but the camera does!
Laramie Couds Infrared.jpg

Looking north from my home...

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
IR is a funny medium, can work a treat with some things.. I like what it does to clouds but trees and grass you may just as well make a negative. Some argue that filters are outperformed by a converted camera. Still point is it is @turguys choice and I for one celebrate that. This forum is about different ways to get the best from printers this image will challenge all printers to get the tones faithfully IMHO

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
IR is a funny medium, can work a treat with some things.. I like what it does to clouds but trees and grass you may just as well make a negative. Some argue that filters are outperformed by a converted camera. Still point is it is @turguys choice and I for one celebrate that. This forum is about different ways to get the best from printers this image will challenge all printers to get the tones faithfully IMHO

256 Shades of grey. - the sequel to 50 shades of grey! :p

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
No it's black, 254 shades of grey and white.

Or perhaps on many printers 200 shades of grey and white.

Last edited:

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
No it's black, 254 shades of grey and white.

I am guessing that you would be looking at a VERY different image via your additional screen calibration. I am viewing on a smartphone and that is pretty well out there. Also thinking you may print a different image from us too ?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I am guessing that you would be looking at a VERY different image via your additional screen calibration. I am viewing on a smartphone and that is pretty well out there. Also thinking you may print a different image from us too ?

That is a tall order to demonstrate on PK, but here goes.

I downloaded turbguy's Wyoming image and printed it on my Canon 9000 II, using PPD Pearl Lustre microporous paper. I used PC (revised magenta) inks and my Argyll (957 total patches/of which 335 are grey patches) profile. Printing was done in full colour mode, not black and white.

I let the print rest for about 5 hours and scanned it to a PNG file on my latest acquisition, an HP DeskJet 2540 All in One. All this done in full colour mode.

Laramie Couds Infrared.jpg Wyoming turbguy2.png

I have not used any "software editing controls" during the course of the exercise. The first image is turbguy's JPEG, the second is the printed and scanned PNG.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
To me turbguy's original photo looks to be neutral B/W. To me Emulator's two uploaded images look very similar, but with a green tint. I think the green tint is caused by the scanner. I've also had problems with scanning B/W images.