Help to expand/open IP4000 service manual

Music Image

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ple-e-ease can someone help me get these rar files to open. This is what Ive done so far.

Followed Panos' link but I'm not ready to fight yet another learning curve, this time with filesharing apps, eg Emule.

Googled and followed links which all in the end ended up here ...
http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/15074/CANON_IP4000.html

At the above url I saw 3 files to download. One's a Parts manual Pdf and the other 2 make up part 1 and part 2 of the service manual. I got the parts manual to expand into a pdf but I spent practically all day yesterday downloading different apps and attempting to open these 2 service manual rar files and got all sorts of error messages (....) <- insert in here an ANGRY face, I've googled on tutorials about .rar files and read till Im blue in the face. This morning Ive found a comment on a thread here: ...

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=36631&forum_id=40&page=15

....and about 1/2 way down the thread says..

"You need both part of the rar to be able to extract the manual."

Can anyone tell me how to do this?

These are the utilities Ive tried so far to get these to expand and open. I cant remember exactly which order I used these utes in. But according to install times here they are. Ive got part one to expand into a Pdf but it wont open, and AdobeAR send up an error message. The 2nd part I cant even expand.

wnimp121
unrarw32
unzinst
UnzipThemAll
UltimateZip3

Any help will be GREATLY HUGELY appreciated.
Music Image.

Music Image

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Problem solved.

Well, f-i-i-i-nally Ive done it. For anyone else who has a problem and is not that adept with understanding all the in and outs of file management and such, when you go to expand these 2 files (part1 and part2) make sure they reside in the same folder and are on the same level. I simply highlighted them both and Dclked on them and the next minute a pdf appears, and Im not sure if it did it all on its own or it was the doings of winimp,as it happened so fast. Anyway, this time the pdf opened up fine.

Gotta say too, Wow, theres some juicy info in these service manuals. Diagrams and explanations and all sorts. By the look of it too, they indeed "record" how much and what type of paper used, which is verified by a eeprom printout.

HTHs others who might get stuck.

CHeers, Music Image.

BlasterQ

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I downloaded this service manual and browsed it, and I find this portion very very very troubling:

1-3. Product Life
(1) Printer
Specified print volume (I) or the years of use (II), whichever comes first.

(I) Print volume
Black 1,500 character pattern 7,200 pages
Color A4, 7.5% duty per color pattern 5,400 pages
A4, photo, borderless printing 300 pages
4 x 6, photo, borderless printing 3,600 pages
Postcard, photo, borderless printing 1,500 pages

(II) Years of use
PIXMA iP4000: 5 years of use

Whoa!!! A4 Photo borderless printing, 300 pages only?!?
5 years?!?

Does that mean that even if you take care of your printer like a baby, it will still die out of you after 5 years of use?

I do find myself buying a new printer in 5 years, as I'm sure in 5 years new development in printing technology would make my Pixma IP4000 obsolete. But still, 5 years?

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
A4 borderless printing.....300 prints - and the priinter will fail? Or after 7200 text pages???

I've never been a big fan of extended warranties, but if one is doing a lot of oversize borderless printing, an extended warranty might be useful.

Music Image

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've only had a brief look at the S.Manual so far, but when I get more time I'll look more closely. Indeed, BlasterQ, what youre mentioning was one of the particular "juicy" bits of info I was referring to. Which ever way you look at it, pre-configured failure/sabotage SUCKS!!!! BIG BIG BIG time, and what if you dont use these figures they state. Then 5 years???...

"Does that mean that even if you take care of your printer like a baby, it will still die out of you after 5 years of use?" ...

...it looks this way doesnt it. I'd like to know exactly what they "jack up" /preconfigure to fail. Maybe that closer look will tell more. No wonder it (the S.Manual) is not supposed to be for joe public.

Manuchau, IMHO, extended warranties are just another means of screwing more $'s out of you. If a product has a good name and reliability they shouldnt need to extend the warranty. After reading niftys post on an offer to download a little app to take figures and readings and such like, "for the good of all", I wouldnt mind betting they can "fix" peoples printers according to whether they have the extended warranty or not, meaning they can tinker with it over the internet. This indeed is scary scary stuff.

Unfortunately this all means the same old same old...man is still basically greedy, and I dont see that changing for the better any time soon. It is a credit to people who at least try and stand up to this nonsense, find a work around ( :) ), and try to do something about it. I see this Forum as a big step in that direction.

About 18 odd years ago I bought a Roland synthesizer. The lithium battery is supposed to be changed every 5 years. I still have the original battery. Things were made solidly and they lasted. I had a car that I bought 2nd hand, about 20 odd years ago. The battery lasted 14 years !!!! Companies CAN make their products last if they really want to, but they would sooner get fat pockets as soon as possible and with the minimum effort.

Music Image.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
I just thought that I would add my 0.02 to this discussion.

As was stated previously, the figures in the service manual were intended for Canon's service personnel, not the general public. Also, I assume that these figures are the "design target", not programmed into the printer as "drop dead" numbers when the printer will self-destruct. Let's look at a potential scenario where all of this could be totally innocent and proper:
1. When designing a new product, one of the first questions that must be answered is "What is the target service life"? You are right that a printer could be designed for a 20 year life, but this would also greatly increase the cost. For example, there is a Mylar strip with many fine lines printed on it and which passes through the head to act as part of a "position encoder" to tell the printer the exact position of the head. I'll bet that this part and the pickup in the print head costs less than $5.00. Here is an industrial version of a similar device (http://www.renishaw.com/client/product/UKEnglish/PGP-1114.shtml) that can be purchased with a glass scale for extended life and which costs many times as much as the device used by Canon.
2. Suppose that printers were available with 4 times the design life (20 years) at only 2 times the price. Who would buy them? This is another area where the technology is changing so fast that most people will replace a perfectly good printer before 5 years are up just to get the improved technology.
3. Nobody works on basic TVs any more - at $75/hour for a service tech it's usually cheaper to throw a cheap TV away than to fix it. When you take your printer in for service the first thing that the tech will do is print out the printer's usage history. Why - to see how much life is left in the printer and determine if it is worth fixing. Would you want them to charge you 75% of the cost of a new printer to repair a printer that has reached the end of its useful service life?
4. If you are afraid that these are hard "self-destruct" limits (like HP's "don't use after" dates programmed into some carts), it is easy to reset the printer's memory so that the printer thinks that it is new and hasn't printed anything.
5. I would guess that the limitation on borderless printing is given because the sponges that catch the overspray will become saturated with ink at some point. These sponges could be cleaned just like the "waste tank" to extend this life.

I agree that most extended warrantees are a sucker bet, but printers may be one of the few exceptions to this rule. If you print a lot, they may make sense. I would have bought one on my printer, but I will probably upgrade before the printer is two years old.

Stand back, take a hard look at your printer, and ask yourself if you could manufacture it for 50% of its selling price, including a new set of carts. In my opinion, the various printer suppliers have done a good job of providing sophisticated, reliable products at a very reasonable price.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Ditto! (as uaual)

I got an email from Canon saying that I could extend the warranty on my i860 for another few years. While it looked good on the surface I realized that it was about half the price of a new ip4000 on sale at Fry's electronics. Tempting, but no thanks.

BlasterQ

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I think it is pre-programmed to fail, because of this line in the manual:

"Specified print volume (I) or the years of use (II), whichever comes first."

Of course, practically speaking, I will find myself using another printer other than the printer I am using now because I know newer technology would entice me to do so, but still, I am a person who grows attached to my printer and I just wish that should it finally stop printing, it is not because of a pre-programmed intstruction, but because by natural wear and tear.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Considering that my MP750's engine is the same with iP4000, and that I have exceeded the print volume in (in less than 2 months!!!) and that I still print... I think there is no issue of pre-programming a self destruction :)

Music Image

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts Grandad,
This whole topic can have so many variables, for example, it depends on what you are going to use your printer for and how important it is to have cutting edge technology. What about the issue of "throw away" products and damaging the environment. Im not an environmentalist, or radical activist, but just looking at it from a fair and square grass roots approach. What we humans throw away is astounding, and even I'm wondering where the hang its all eventually going to go.

For some of us, and I would even say for most ordinary people like myself, some technologies need to go little or no further. With technology right across the board increasing at breakneck speed, I would even dare to say a lot of people dont want or need the "bloat" of extra features. As such, a lot of things technologically have become "top heavy". I mean, how much more "correct" can you get text to look. Ive heard time and time again how people have been amazed at the quality of the Photo prints from the iP4000, and for most of us it is good enough to have nice clear photos. For me, text has looked just fine and perfectly readable the way its been printing out for a number of years. Maybe in the area of photos and longevity theres a bit of headroom to move, but do most of us really care that much?, especially those who only do minimal photo stuff. I certainly wont be looking to upgrade anyway, and if I had a choice between a printer that lasted for 10 years or keep paying out to keep on the bleeding edge, I know what I'd do.

Dont get me wrong, some people in their line of work or interest, need to be on the cutting edge, and need the best quality. For most of us this isnt the case, well at least for me and the ordinary people I rub shoulders with, who, by and large couldnt give a monkeys toss about the latest and greatest. As long as the job gets done and with reasonable quality, that seems to be good enough. Also I'll say this, that I dont have a problem with the concept "you get what you pay for", but I do have a problem when Companies you deal with are underhanded about what they choose to tell you and not tell you, in the sense that it could affect your decision to buy their product. Im sure I dont need to go on about what a lot of people think about the ink issues. Indeed, this forum is loaded with it, and rightfully so IMO.

To me, the fact that there is even a concept operating about a "target service life" goes against what was once a standard principle. It used to be that you did your best job possible for your fellow man in all that you did, and that translated into better quality products that lasted longer, which in turn gave genuine satisfaction that sprang from that fact. I just cant believe its all to do with the idea of keeping everybody in work in general, and the world going round in particular, that we need to make things that dont last as long. I think it has a great deal to do with fat cats getting fatter, and monopolies blaa blaa blaa. Yes I know only too well today that thats just the way it is. I still say planned obsolesence SUCKS.

Music Image.