Help to expand/open IP4000 service manual

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Music Image,

I understand your concern about "planned obsolescence". As far as I am concerned, one of the many bad examples of this practice is the fashion industry. I look at a "designer" dress that sells for $500 and see a cost under $25. That's bad enough, but the fashion "designers" will purposely change the "style" by doing something like lowering the hem lines next year and the dress becomes a rag - not because it's worn out, but because the fashion industry has found an effective way to generate unnecessary sales. For the same money I could have purchased four IP4000s.

Every device that you buy has a "design life", but it isn't openly discussed. Why does your toothbrush wear out? Because there's more money in selling replacements than in making better bristles. Cars used to have a design lifetime of 100,000 miles. They have been greatly improved and I'm sure that the design life is now far longer than 100,000 miles, but they aren't designed for an infinite life or they wouldn't be competitive. The big diesel truck engines ARE designed for an almost infinite life, but even they must be rebuilt every 300,000 miles or so at a cost approaching that of a new car.

My $1,000 DSLR has a shutter life of about 20,000-50,000 shots. The professional models have many times this life, but they also sell for many times as much. If the shutter fails (I shoot about 10,000 shots/yr) before I upgrade to a better camera, it will cost about $180 to have it replaced, but I accept this as part of the operating cost for the camera. It would be nice if the shutter never failed, but when you consider what the shutter goes through when shooting at 1/1000 sec, it's not surprising that it eventually wears out.

In my job, we designed industrial machinery for an 8000 hr/yr operating life of 20-40 years. Even that is being changed by competitive pressures to "get the cost out", because some competitors have started the practice of designing for a 5-7 year life. When this is discussed with end users, they still want the higher quality but they often end up buying the cheap product because of the pressures put on them to keep their costs down. I remember one extreme case where the purchasing agent at a large company went with an option that saved $25,000 on the purchase price. When told that this would increase the operating costs by $100,000/yr, his reply was "That's in production's budget - I'm only judged on the purchase price".

From an engineer's perspective, I still say that these printers are a great value for the money. Canon's mistake was in being open and putting their design life in writing. Like Panos proved, this isn't a self-destruct setting. If you "baby" the printer you will benefit with an increased life, just like with your car.

Music Image

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
All interesting points Grandad35, and again, thankyou for your comments.

"Why does your toothbrush wear out? Because there's more money in selling replacements than in making better bristles"

Exactly my point. But I see the real issue is not the fact that its wrong to make money, I mean we've all gotta live, but that there are some people, somewhere along the line making more of a killing than they should. I'm of the pursuasion that a "workman is worthy of his hire" but some people are getting far fatter than they should be, for doing slack all. You dont have to be smart to see this happening right across the board, nor do you have to be a rocket scientist to work out why. Again its common ol' greed. The powers that be are slowly but surely edging out the old concepts for the new. Things that werent acceptable a decade ago are now passed off as accepted. But at the end of the day, folks know deep down inside, theres nothing like a good healthy dose of old fashioned honesty and integrety. I see this lacking more and more and no more so than in the business sector.

Statements like "found an effective way to generate unnecessary sales" are indeed typical of the general scene today but i would hazard a guess and say it still raises the ire of many a person. And rightly so. To be quite frank, I find the whole hard sell thing (which all goes hand in hand with the above statement) absolutely gross. Again Im NOT against folks making money but called me old fashioned, I like to see it earned fair and square.

Canon are a huge company as are HP etc etc. I dont exactly feel sorry for them. They most certainly dont feel sorry for me. I dont owe them my allegience. Respect and trust only come with time. If they show themselves worthy of these things in time to come, then I'll come back to them. In the meantime, theyve been happy to take my money for a product Im very happy to own at this point. When I went to buy a printer or indeed most things these days, I look at it like I look at voting. You choose the best of a shady bunch.

Another old principle of life was that if you look after your stuff and treat it well, it will last longer. Very simple principle. I "baby" all my stuff all the time. I like to look after it as best I can. Hopefully I can expect a longer life in return.

One other thing I'd like to comment on in relation to...

"Stand back, take a hard look at your printer, and ask yourself if you could manufacture it for 50% of its selling price, including a new set of carts. In my opinion, the various printer suppliers have done a good job of providing sophisticated, reliable products at a very reasonable price."....

No I couldnt manafacture it for even 10% of its selling price, but then neither could canon manafacture other products that are in out daily lives, without a considerable outlay of costs. In other words what Im saying is we cant all be all things to all men all the time. We simply havnt got time. Thats why we all need each other. Especially where technology is involved :). Id have to disagree about OEM inkcarts being a very reasonable price, and Im sure Im not alone on this, as is evident in this forum by other posters. From what Ive seen in my quest to buy a printer, the way the companies try to get you to buy their inks is nothing short of scandalous IMHO. Its back to that "the best of a shady bunch" scenario.

Music Image.

KnightCrawler

Printer Guru
Reaction score
(I) Print volume
Black 1,500 character pattern 7,200 pages
Color A4, 7.5% duty per color pattern 5,400 pages
A4, photo, borderless printing 300 pages
4 x 6, photo, borderless printing 3,600 pages
Postcard, photo, borderless printing 1,500 pages
This is printhead life before it starts wearing down, this tells a service person when the printhead has come to it's useful end.

Basically a page with 1500 characters one should expect 7200 pages as the half life. Some will get 5 or 10 times this but the average should expect the printhead to begin showing wear at 7200 pages.

Also note that these printers are intended for light duty NOT continous duty.

PS: With all that in mind my BJC-2000 I bought in 1998 for $10 is still running, the printhead did die but I found someone selling an diffferent model in a garage sale for $2 and now it is working agian. :)

Inky

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My only comment on the longevity of products is that IMO it should be clearly printed on the packaging, and independantly verified.

If a certain products lifetime and planned obsolesence is justifibly optimial for consumers, then it naturally follows that should be verified by informed customers, and fair market competition.

Of course that will never happen in the private sector, because the honest company would be penalized for printing their product life, while the competitors would be free to lie/obfuscate.

It's similar to printing nutrition on labels. It only happens when an entire industry agrees or when a regulator demands it.

bobglen97

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
BlasterQ said:
I downloaded this service manual and browsed it, and I find this portion very very very troubling:

1-3. Product Life
(1) Printer
Specified print volume (I) or the years of use (II), whichever comes first.

(I) Print volume
Black 1,500 character pattern 7,200 pages
Color A4, 7.5% duty per color pattern 5,400 pages
A4, photo, borderless printing 300 pages
4 x 6, photo, borderless printing 3,600 pages
Postcard, photo, borderless printing 1,500 pages

(II) Years of use
PIXMA iP4000: 5 years of use

Whoa!!! A4 Photo borderless printing, 300 pages only?!?
5 years?!?

Does that mean that even if you take care of your printer like a baby, it will still die out of you after 5 years of use?

I do find myself buying a new printer in 5 years, as I'm sure in 5 years new development in printing technology would make my Pixma IP4000 obsolete. But still, 5 years?
There is a Major retailer here in town that has posted rated duty volumes for printers where they are displayed. For the IP4000 the display sign said the rated MONTHLY duty cycle for this printer was 5000 pages/month. All other printers were similarly "over-rated". I spoke with them and they said the numbers "came from the manufacturer". The numbers you posted look reasonable, based on the cost of these printers. My experience in the imaging industry tells me that to get this type (5000/month) of rated duty cycle, you need to spend thousands of dollars.

Would it be possible to get a screen capture (with the canon logos) from the cover and relevent pages, so that I can take these to the store manager and have this mis-information removed from the displays??????

Thanks

Bob

BlasterQ

Printer Guru
Reaction score
You can download the service manual on the first posting of this thread, and you can print the whole page itself. That would be better. Or you can save the file, and give it to the store manager.