Hello new friends

OscarIBe

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon 280
Hi, I am new in the forum and I hope to be helpful to you all.

Right now I have a Canon MP280 and I have a problem: error E08. I disassembled all the printer to clean it, once reassembled, I followed the steps to get to service mode, and here is the problem, after pressing 6 times the stop/reset button, the alarm light starts to blink 16 times per cycle.
Can you help me please?

Sincerily OscarIBe

Pd: please excuse any grammatical mistakes, English is not my first lenguaje

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The procedure for entering the service mode for the MP280 is wrong, and I think Canon's service manuals are to blame. The instructions are not very clear. The stop resume button should be pressed 5 times. Here is a service manual for your printer. The service manual is only supplementary, but is sufficient for this purpose. See page 6/15 for instructions to enter service mode.

Replace iii in the manual with this to make the instruction more clear:
iii. While holding the ON button, press and release the Stop/Reset button 5 times, and then release the ON button. (Each time the Stop/Reset button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green, starting with Alarm LED.)

Except for the procedures to enter service mode the MP280 and MP270 are very similar, so also see this post.

OscarIBe

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon 280
Ok, here is the video with the procedure I'm following

https://youtu.be/YWju7MTvNs0

You can see the alarm light blinking in cycles of 16 times, does anyone know what does it mean?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I cannot find the 16 flashes in the list of error messages in the service manual, so I cannot tell what it means.

I noticed you release the stop and power button simultaneously. In fact it is very difficult to release two buttons simultaneously. One will always be released before the other even if the difference is only milliseconds. But electronics is fast. If you release the ON button a very short time before the Stop button, you have in fact only pressed the Stop button one time less than you think. Don't use this procedure!

In stead use the procedure I suggest. By pressing and releasing the Stop button before releasing the ON button you are sure the printer has counted 5 presses on the Stop button and it will now enter service mode.

I've found a video showing this correct procedure. It is in German, but it clearly shows the buttons are pressed the way I suggest.

The procedure for entering service mode is not very clear, and the instructions for the same procedure is sometimes different. Here is an example from the service manual for MG5100 series of printers.
iii. While holding the ON button, press the Stop button 5 times*1, and release the ON button. (Each time the Stop button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green.)
Notice releasing the Stop and ON buttons simultaneously is not mentioned! Could different instructions be deliberate to cause confusion, knowing that the service manuals would at some point of time be leaked?

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Could different instructions be deliberate to cause confusion, knowing that the service manuals would at some point of time be leaked?
First @The Hat and now you with the conspiracy theories? The truth is out there! :barnie

Latest posts