Goof Off saved 2 printheads

mikem65d

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, ip6600D, i900D
Having a clogged printhead on my I900D going off and on to be just OK using conventional cleaning methods spurred me into buying another head.
Same goes for an i6600D that i picked up locally for 30 bucks. The 6600 had been used by the seller a few years ago until it ran out of ink, and was then stored.
All the channels except Cyan cleared perfectly.
Since the heads for both these printers were to be stored as a spare for use as a printer to print text only i decided to take a gamble and try Goof Off to unclog them.
I've used Piezo cleaning solution for other projects at work and wouldn't waste that much money on a product to just try cleaning printheads, but remembered that it smelled similar to Goof Off.
The gamble paid off as after a soaking for only 2 hours, the clogged channels in both heads gave up the remaining dried ink that was blocking the jets.
Amazing that such a simple fluid worked, and caused no harm to the printheads.
I mixed the Goof Off with pharmacists solution 1-1.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Goof Off makes different products, so which product did you use? You probably used the Pro Strength Remover? Here is the MSDS for the aerosol version. But you probably didn't use that?

Here is a list of some of the ingredients.
Goof Off MSDS.jpg

I think the diethylene glycol monobutyl ether is the miracle ingredient. Other household or window cleaners with glycol ethers also seem effective in unclogging print heads. See this, this and this.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Nice going @mikem65d, it sure is great when you can get Lazarus up twice with just the one miracle..:fl :D

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
So what product was it? I have shot ip6600D print head after I soaked it in fairy dish washing liquid for 2 weeks. Maybe it would work.

Edit, these products a for US only?

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
So what product was it? I have shot ip6600D print head after I soaked it in fairy dish washing liquid for 2 weeks. Maybe it would work.

Edit, these products a for US only?

Look for grafitti remover. A less radical paint remover, as it were.

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
@Smile It looks similar including some of the ingredients to some brands of cellulose paint thinners you should be able to get at car accessory stores over most of the globe.

The glycol is what gives it the flushing property and the Acetone and to an extent the butane is what is likely breaking down and thick/old/crud ink mess. Acetone when put near any caked (pardon the pun on my name) on paint like substance instantly breaks it down.

If you want a cheapo version to try, minus the other ingredients then looking at the Mrs nail polish remover that is basically acetone. So pinch that of any lady in your life :D

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@CakeHole any contact of Acetone (Nail polish) anywhere near your print head or any part of your printer for that matter would be extremely messy and would definitely leave you needing a new print head.

That stuff should only be used when well diluted with milder chemicals such as alcohol and water, Acetone also has a very high flash point.. :hide

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
@CakeHole any contact of Acetone (Nail polish) anywhere near your print head or any part of your printer for that matter would be extremely messy and would definitely leave you needing a new print head.

That stuff should only be used when well diluted with milder chemicals such as alcohol and water, Acetone also has a very high flash point.. :hide

The concentration in the otherhalves bottle of nail polish remover is only 30%, which is less than half of what it is in some of the goof off products mentioned...
http://www.goofoffproducts.com/msds-cpsia

Err Nail polish NO you would not want that in your print head LOL

Butane another component (and what is found in cigarette lighter refill gas) in that stuff is also well known as something to clean stuck on gunk, in other PC forums it is often recommended as a around the house item to use to clean off thermal paste from your CPU. I used to use a can of that regularly from pound land to clean my CPU and re-prime it with thermal paste each year (and yes obviously its flammable but the stuff evaporates quickly, ive never had a CPU burst into flames, though i suppose some could be stupid enough to spray a whole tin on a CPU and put it back in the computer soaking in it).

The components in SOME OF THESE goof off products are basically similar to SOME paint strippers and Cellulose paint thinners. One of the goofoff products at that link has almost the exact same ingredients as Nitromors paint stripper (an easy found brand paint stripper in the UK before people worldwide ask where to buy that). The real ingredient to be careful off in some of the products is methanol (and variants) as that will burn you and burst into flames quite happily.

Practically every ingredient in it (butane for example to even the non informed) is flammable so goes without saying you should ensure you either rinse things you are cleaning after or at the least ensure no residue is left. Most of the stuff will to some degree evaporate (just like iso alcohol) so you would not have to go crazy washing it if you give it time to evaporate and make sure you wipe things down.

Id warn people more to not get their hands covered in the stuff and do not use high concentrations on the plastic components as in high concentrate it will literally melt plastic and burn your skin rather than worrying about fire, unless you use the stuff in direct boiling hot sunshine of near a flame (dont smoke near the stuff or leave it near your fireplace) you will likely be fine.

PS... I will agree with you about dilution, if unsure or safety concious (or using it near plastics/too lazy to wear gloves) water it down, you can always increase the strength if needed.

Last edited:

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
Geez, stop freaking out and let intelligent people figure the best course of action. Don't use aromatics in a small closet w/o a respirator whilst smoking a good cigar.

"Real" classic paint remover was heavy on methyl ethyl ketone. MEK. Can curl the toes of a mummy.

I think that Goof Off opens up another effective avenue for print head cleaning, bottom line.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Goof Off makes many different products, from ordinary household cleaners to paint strippers. So please @mikem65d which product did you use?

From my work at a paint manufacturing plant I know most of the solvents used in the Pro Strength Remover, and only acetone and the glycol ether are mixable with water, and the propane, isobutane and n-butane are propellants; this product comes in an aerosol can. These gases are highly flammable. I think this product was not what was used.

Another product that might be better suited for print head cleaning is the Heavy duty remover. Here is an ingredient list from the MSDS. I think the balance is water.

Goof Off MSDS2.jpg

Note 3 ethers and one alcohol.

In the US the Original Windex is recommended for print head cleaning. Here is a list of ingredients. Note that it contains ammonia, isopropyl alcohol and propylene glycol like pharmacists solution. Note also the 2-Hexoxyethanol, this is also a glycol ether, so I think this supports the theory that glycol ethers are good additives for print head cleaners.