Best European alternative to Windex Glass Cleaner?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I couldn't find propylene glycol in any physical shops near my home, so I had to buy it online. Among other things propylene glycol is used in smoking liquid for e-cigarettes and in some cosmetics, so I found it at an online cosmetics store.

The price was around DKK 100 = € 13.50 incl. shipping for 250 ml of propylene glycol of a pharmaceutical grade (Ph.Eur 7.0). It might be a bit expensive, but 250 ml of glycol will make a lot of cleaning and conditioning fluids, more than 8 litres.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
You should to able to get Propylene glycol in a health food store or Chemist, the Isopropyl alcohol can be gotten in a hardware store or motor factors and Ammonia can usually be picked up in a general food store or supermarket.

But after all that effort I reckon that pharmacist solution is much better at rejuvenating the inside of your cartridge than it is for cleaning out the print head, window cleaner would make a faster job of it and is easier to get in my opinion..;)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
As there is no such thing as a standardized clog, I cannot make any comparisons. Both pharmacists cleaning solution and the Ajax window cleaner with ammonia has worked well for me. But you cannot save all print heads.

Maybe the Ajax window cleaner has an advantage, here is a MSDS:

***Product Name: AJAX GLASS SQUEEZE AMMONIA***
Aqua
Butoxypropanol
Alcohol
Propylene Glycol
Ammonium Hydroxide
Sodium Laureth Sulfate
Denatonium Benzoate

The interesting ingredient is the Butoxypropanol. I Googled it and found it was another name for 1,2-Propylene glycol 1-monobutyl ether, and some claim that glycol ethers is what makes a household cleaner excellent for print head cleaning.

If you are not a trained chemist different naming conventions for chemical compounds can be confusing, but luckily Google and Wikipedia can help.

I wonder if Oxidane, Dihydrogen Monoxide or Hydrogen Hydroxide will be suitable as a base for print head cleaners? It sounds dangerous, doesn't it?:gig

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I wonder if Oxidane, Dihydrogen Monoxide or Hydrogen Hydroxide will be suitable as a base for print head cleaners? It sounds dangerous, doesn't it?:gig

I love it when you get down and dirty… :lol:

Sherden

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP4300 - Epson XP-810
My PGBK head is completely and severely clogged.

I'll try both, this could be a comparison test.

Sherden

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Concentrated is about 30 %, so increase by factor 2.5

I bought a bottle of pure ammonia. Should I dilute it to about 30% (30 parts of ammonia and distilled water up to 100 parts)?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The other possibility is that the PGBK is damaged and no amount of cleaning will save it, so be prepared for disappointment if that’s the case, but DON’T give up on it till you’re sure..

Sherden

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
That's a possible scenario but I like to get my hands dirty. Otherwise I would already bought another printer :D

I cross my fingers.... :fl

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The pure ammonia is around 30% in strength, so it is identical to pharmacists concentrated ammonia, meaning you should use 1 part of the pure ammonia when preparing 100 parts of pharmacists cleaning solution.

I would recommend pharmacists cleaning solution. The "Vetril" window cleaner might not be suitable as a print head cleaner. It contains some ingredients I don't like. Here is the MSDS:

Vetril multisuperficie con Ammoniaca

AQUA
METHOXYISOPROPANOL
ETHANOL
ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL
Ammonia
1-OCTYL-2-PYRROLIDONE
Polysiloxane, polyether modified
PARFUM
SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE
TETRASODIUM EDTA
SODIUM SULFATE
Colorants

Polysiloxane, polyether modified is one ingredient I suspect could make clogs worse. Some polysiloxanes are used as binders in marine paints. I think it is used as a thickening agent. Upon evaporation of the liquid components it will leave a solid that could cause clogs.

The sodium sulfate is another ingredient I also suspect could make matters worse. It also leaves a solid upon evaporation of the liquids. Many sodium salts are hygroscopic, meaning they attract moisture from the air and forms a conductive slurry. This could burn out the print head electronics. Specially notice this post.

Pharmacists cleaning solution leaves no conductive residues, so I think that it is much safer. Other window cleaners are OK, but avoid anything that contains dissolved solids. Note that in the US the original Windex is recommended for print head cleaning, not the more modern type that might contain thickening agents.

BTW the "dangerous" stuff mentioned in the last line of post #33 are all fancy but chemically correct names for water.

Sherden

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
The quest has been completed!! 100 experience points gained :D (D&D style)

If this can help others fellow forumers, I found Isopropyl alcohol at an electronic parts retailer (around 12€ for 1l. ) and got glycerol (even if little bit "expensive", 2,80€ for 100 ml.)from a pharmacy.

@PeterBJ: Thank you for the clear answer.

Strange but true finding a windex-like it's becoming more difficult.

The Ajax SQUUEZE AMMONIA that @PeterBJ and @aruiz suggested, is not available in Italy. It is available instead the one reported by @aruiz:

http://www.colgate.it/app/PDP/Ajax/IT/Products/Glass-Cleaner.cwsp

Someone knows if is it this one? the label just reports "Tensioattivi generici" <5% (they should be "surfactant" in EN)