An observation on "bad" and "clogged" printheads

ps.ijpf

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I've taken many of the tips in this forum, and they have saved a tremendous amount of money, so I want to say "Thank you very much", and try to return the favor with a recent experience.

I've owned several Canon printers, experimented with 3rd party cartridges, refilling, and with each one I've eventually experienced the symptoms of a "clogged" head. I've tried most of the head cleaning methods described on the forum with mixed results.

This winter, after experiencing a no-magenta problem with my older iP4000, that resisted every attempt at head cleaning, I figured that the head was damaged and bought a new replacement print head ($50). When that didn't work, I figured that the logic board was bad, switched the printer over to BW application only, and bought another ip4000 ($60). The new printer worked well for weeks.

When I was replacing the original Canon cartridge with a G&G cartridge (~$3), I got interrupted for 1/2 hour. Shortly afterward, the new printer stopped printing magenta. So I installed a new Canon cartridge ($12). I got a good test page, and got normal printing for one day, then magenta stopped printing again. I cleaned the printhead until no more magenta came through and got the same result.

Out of desperation I tried applying some solvent* that I use for cleaning ink from my hands to the waste absorber sponges that the printhead sits upon when idle. I kept applying it until the sponges looked white. Magenta started working great.

So I'm thinking, why not try it on the other printer? Abacadabra!! It worked, not only with the new head, but also the head that I'd thought was bad. What I thought was a head problem was the printer not sucking properly, priming wasn't working. I've since added the step of putting a few drops on my cleaning solution on the sponges whenever I have to change a tank. Several changes of cartridges later, both printers continue to work well. So now I have a spare head that I can swap out in a minute if a head seems like it needs cleaning.

I realize that the new printer problem was probably caused by my delay in replacing the tank immediately, but I'm wondering - how often is caked ink in the absorber mis-diagnosed as a clogged head or bad purge unit? Considering the relative time and money involved, I'd advise anyone with a persistent "clogged" head to try cleaning the sponges with a solution first - especially if it happens during a season of low humidity.

*The solvent I use is a Dollar Store cleaner called LA Awesome, which I dilute 50:1 with water. I've tried many commercial cleaners looking for something to get ink off my skin (I don't have very good dexterity working though plastic gloves). Since it worked well, I tried using it for head cleaning. Unheated, it works as well as any of the solutions packed with refill kits, and better than isopronol, at a fraction of their cost. (If you try it, be sure to flush the head well afterward with plain water).

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Hmmm? I wonder if that would work for the 4 Epson C-88 printers I've had sitting out in my garage for over a year?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
ps.ijpf and try to return the favor with a recent experience.
Well done ps.ijpf and thanks for letting us know about your success.
It might even help OutOFtheinkwell solve his little problem with his C-88.
OutOFtheinkwell Hmmm? I wonder if that would work for the 4 Epson C-88 printers I've had sitting out in my garage for over a year?
Theres only one way to find out for sure and thats to go get it and try ps.ijpf method on it.
You have nothing to lose here, well except try to find more space for the printer on your desk if it works..:)

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
The "waste absorber sponge" that the print head rests on is really a thin, porous ceramic plate(s). Typically, ALL print head colors that rest on the plate are affected by lack of prime...however it's not unreasonable to think that degraded priming will effect one color FIRST, before problems with other colors show up.

I wonder how many printers have been wasted by a poor gasket fit to the head (the rubber gasket around the ceramic pad)?? They are REALLY easy to disturb!

Wayne

adakt

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Yes its works!!! i have a refill shop here in Greece before 3 days a customer came with an old epson printer.My wife saids thart i can do it.I had in the past 3 epson printers and i sai no again no no.I make one hour to unblog the heads so i had the idea that to put cleaning solution to the place that the head parks.I use cleaning solution brand name Coben from korea very strong solution.No the printer works perfect.......................

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I still have unused dampers for the C-88's so I could fill a set with head cleaner or windex and run some test prints for a few days,but the truth is I never had good service with the C-88's. I kept trying to make them work and ended up over a few years of trying with 4 of them but then I Finally tried the Epson 1400 and Artisan 725 models and never went back to those pesky C-88's. For some reason I had problems with Yellow not flowing in them in all four printers. I'd clean them and they would work for a short time and the yellow would fade out again. I always wondered if that model had a built in engineering problem. I did have some good results switching one C-88 to dye based inks but then the same problem with yellow returned. So far even the one hundred dollar 725 prints like a charm and I get great full color prints from it. I never use the scanner but it's there if I need it!

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Ps.ijpf can you please let us know which LA Awesome product you are using?

Thanks Ron

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
My guess is that the magic ingredient in the "LA Awesome Cleaner" (Which product, please?) could be some Glycol Ether. See this MSDS: http://www.alphachemga.com/msds/AO Degreaser MSDS.pdf In these links a glycol ether also seems to be the magic ingredient: http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/inkjet_cleaning.html and http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/stuff/?p=525 . Also check this: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5719

Glycol Ethers were a common ingredient in many household cleaners some years ago, but seem to be rarely used today, at least in Denmark. I found a general purpose household cleaner containing PPG-II-Methyl Ether. For thorough cleaning 20 ml of this cleaner should be added to 5 litres of water. This mixture seems to have an effect on clogged printheads/cartridges. I have successfully unclogged an HP 78 cartridge with it, but I cannot tell if it is more or less effective than Windex or equivalent.

ps.ijpf

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ron350 said:
Ps.ijpf can you please let us know which LA Awesome product you are using?

Thanks Ron
The label says"LA's Totally Awesome All Purpose Concentrated Cleaner* Degreaser Spot Remover"
The 32 oz bottle's UPC is 7 22429 32010 0 The Dollar Tree 32 oz refill SKU#is 985190, 20 oz spray bottle SKU#:152664

The only ingredient indication is "Contains 2-butoxy ethanol". No MSDS number listed.

Here's the product webpage: http://www.lastotallyawesome.com/html/Products_Degreaser.html