GOING THROUGH PRINTER HELL-Need recommendation on 8.5 x 11 art printer

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
artprint1 said:
I was thinking of going to office depot or Frys Electronics tomorrow and just buying a Canon. for around 300 dollars

But I guess some of them are not CIS compatible...?

Hmm...
It is a case of swings and roundabouts using a CISS on a Canon printer.

They will work on most Canon printers but that all depends on the way you install it,
no setup is 100% perfect so be aware of that.

The real problem when using a CISS on a Canon printer is the need to print regularly just
to keep it in working condition and pre-test it before any long runs are undertaken.

Using your OEM cartridges on the other hand needs no more attention
then to change them when their showing low ink that is all.

It is quite safe to leave a Canon printer running over night, (with a proper setup)
just note the length of time it takes to print a full sheet + 5% for cooling (waiting).

Count the amount of sheets you have in the feed tray and multiply that to the print time then you know
how long the printer can go without supervision, mine usually went 5 hours before the ink ran out.

The beauty of using cartridges over the CISS system is if you run low on ink the printer will just stop
and wont waste any of your valuable paper, just a little time is lost that is all.

Theres no dough that a CISS is great to work with when it functions properly
but needs a lot of tinkering to maintain it, where as home filled OEM cartridges are far more reliable
and dependable and work with your printer far better than a CISS can ever do (Waste ink ?).

Id score it CISS 75% and OEM filled cartridges 95% for performance.

On satisfaction I call it CISS 60% and OEMs 95%.

On high volume printing CISS 90% and OEMs 75%.

CISS can only successfully use dye inks, where as the OEMs cartridges use both dye and pigment as standard.

CISS is best used for Epson printers and OEM cartridges for Canon printers with far less hair loss,
so choose wisely for the job in hand.

Happy Printing.. :)

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
wow this is intense.

Can someone give me a link to where I might buy these Canon OEM cartridges?

I dont even know what oem really means...

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
OEM means Canon branded. Original Equipment Manufacturer. The expensive ones.

I forgot the Artisan has a bottom feed paper path. I would definitely try to find a top feed printer for heavy or unusual paper types. They're getting rare these days, the Artisan 1430 and the R2000 and higher models are the only ones I can think of. Epson finally changed the Workforce series to bottom trays.

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I had the artisan 1430 with the top feeder

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
My bad. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see your model of printer on the canvas manufacturer's "compatible" list.

I suggest you take about 10 sheets of your canvas with you and make them demonstrate the printer using your media.

Wayne

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
I would first test it using the included OEM carts to see if you are satisfied with media handling and output. Otherwise, take your pick of CIS and good luck!

Wayne

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
If you are satisfied with the printer, I would recommend purchasing a spare printhead for it before Canon "obsoletes" it. The Canon, USA parts department always seems to have the lowest price on printheads.

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Update

First two prints of the "Canon PIXMA Pro9000 Mark II" came out great.

Print number 3 jammed and the printer started doing massive gear grinding and sounded pretty much like a velociraptor attack from Jurrasic Park.

This was with the http://www.folex.com/htm/580/en/CANVAS-JET-ST.htm?Article=47425&Structure=16822

I switched to http://www.strathmoreartist.com/product-reader/items/canvas.html papers and had no problems.

The trouble is, the first paper just looks WAY better than the second paper.

It's interesting that such a subtle change in paper causes the whole world to change. If I run my fingers along paper 1 vs. paper 2, then I can't really feel a difference nor see a width difference. But apparently it's all the difference in the world. Very interesting.

I guess this is what happens when you work in the world of millimeters.

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Update

ok so i've come to the conclusion that all these problems stem from the size, weight, and width of the http://www.folex.com/htm/580/en/CANVAS-JET-ST.htm?Article=47425&Structure=16822 paper.

This website had some interesting tips on "paper with scratches"

http://www.canon-europe.com/Support....aspx?faqtcmuri=tcm:13-645816&page=1&type=faq

So the paper was getting jammed -- between the print head and the metal strip. (sorry i dont know the proper words)
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/content_images_2/pixma_9500ii/ink-cartridges.jpg
In this pic, the paper was bunching up right between the cartridges, and the metal strip that lies under the words Canon.

What i've done is try to eliminate the curl of the Folex canvas paper.

I've placed 25 pounds of exercise weights on the printer paper itself -- e.g. to make it as flat as possible.

Then i've inserted bunches of paper into the printer at about 10 at a time.

I have not had a printer jam since.

Yay, that's good news.