GOING THROUGH PRINTER HELL-Need recommendation on 8.5 x 11 art printer

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
This does not happen on my HP.

So I need a more "canvas-friendly" printer.

Suggestions welcome!
It wouldnt happen to you on a Canon either so why not check out Craigslist for a Pro 9000...:)

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
Do you not have a choice in papers? If you are only using them for a few weeks I don't understand why you would use expensive canvas paper to begin with. If you can change brands, you may want to try Red River's instead.

http://www.redrivercatalog.com/browse/60lb-paper-canvas-photo-matte-inkjet-paper.html

$19 for 50 8.5 x 11 sheets so $76 for 200 sheets, I've been using the 13 x 19 sheets in my 1400 with zero feed problems. Personally, I think the canvas texture looks like printer banding to me but all the artists I print for loved it.

If you dig around enough you can probably find a coupon for the paper or for a shipping discount.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Again, if banding is the issue, he should try different media settings in the print driver first. So far, we haven't heard what his printer settings are...

Wayne

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
turbguy said:
Again, if banding is the issue, he should try different media settings in the print driver first. So far, we haven't heard what his printer settings are...

Wayne
Hi

Ya i played with lots of different paper types. I didn't try "Epson Presentation Matte" though.

; (

Aside from the black errors, there was the feed errors as well though. So even if this problem would have been fixed, I still had the feed issue.

I think that this paper http://www.folex.com/htm/580/en/CANVAS-JET-ST.htm?Article=47425&Structure=16822 just didnt agree with my epson Artisan.

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Fenrir Enterprises said:
Do you not have a choice in papers? If you are only using them for a few weeks I don't understand why you would use expensive canvas paper to begin with. If you can change brands, you may want to try Red River's instead.

http://www.redrivercatalog.com/browse/60lb-paper-canvas-photo-matte-inkjet-paper.html

$19 for 50 8.5 x 11 sheets so $76 for 200 sheets, I've been using the 13 x 19 sheets in my 1400 with zero feed problems. Personally, I think the canvas texture looks like printer banding to me but all the artists I print for loved it.

If you dig around enough you can probably find a coupon for the paper or for a shipping discount.
That does look pretty cool. I think perhaps it is stamped paper?

The thing is, we are mounting and stretching the canvas. e.g. wrapping the resultant canvas around wood, and stapling it to the wood with a staple gun.

So the paper has to be as close to real canvas as possible.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Feed issues are another matter altogether. Since an artisan feeds from a bottom tray, it has to make a 180 degree bend inside. Perhaps a back tray printer with a less torturous paper path would be desirable.

I agree with returning the printer just for this reason. There are CIS kits out there for practically any modern EPSON printer. Keep in mind that IMO, thermal head printers (Canon) seem to be less tolerant to CIS application.

artprint1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I was thinking of going to office depot or Frys Electronics tomorrow and just buying a Canon. for around 300 dollars

But I guess some of them are not CIS compatible...?

Hmm...

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Before you purchase, you might want to research the availability of CIS systems for the model(s) you chose. And just because it says "compatible" dosn't mean "trouble free"..."your milage may vary".