Gloss Optmizer

Celso

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX722
Dear All
Could someone give detailed instructions about how to use print a layer of GO?
I understand that it is necessary to substitute the black cartridge for a gloss one and, next, print a layer of Go. However, isn't true that the channel of the black cartridge is full of ink at the time that it is substituted for the Go one and, thus, it would start printing in black?
How the layer is printed? Do I have to cleam the head first before printibg in black?
Tks

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
you would need a refill cartridge filled with Chroma optimizer to substitute the PGBK black cartridge, you need a simple black image to print in the size as you need it - 4x6 inches or whatever, you print that image with the driver settings B/W - grayscale option on with the paper selection Normal paper , and you print that image to flush the black ink out of the ink channels in the printhead. It may take a few sheets . Please be aware that you cannot print borderless with these settings. I never tried this with the photo black channel instead using a glossy paper selection, this may give you the borderless option but I don't know whether it would work since I mainly use Epson printers.

Celso

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX722
I will try it in an Epson printer. It is a pigment four color model (XP214), very similar to a WF26XX or 27XX.

I purchased it after having frustrating fading problems with Canon non-OEM dye prints and reviewing some good comments on the cheap four color pigment Epson printers in this excellent forum.

Originally the XP214 works with a matte black. However, I intend to substitute it for a photo pigment black.

The cleaning channel process seems to add a considerable amount of work. It is necessary to print some sheets to clean the channel line on order to put the GO cart, as well as it is necessary to print some sheets to fill the line with black at the time that the black cart is reinserted, right?

Is there any other alternative that is less complex that the above one?

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I would suggest to dedicate a printer for GO.
One with some colours/nozzles missing can do the job.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Is there any other alternative that is less complex that the above one?
It's the handling needed to swap the black cartridge and flush the black ink, this takes about 2 sheets of A4 for flushing the black ink before you can overprint an image. Black comes back after about half a page, this all goes faster than on a Canon printer with some foam pieces in the ink flow.

I would suggest to dedicate a printer for GO.
One with some colours/nozzles missing can do the job.

Yes, that would make the handling easier, if you have a spare unit available and somewhat ongoing demand for it, but be aware - missing nozzles are visible in the GO overprint as banding.

It may be easier to use decent fade resistant dye inks on Epson printers, if that's what you are after, use the bottled CMYK dye inks for the new ET7700, they are very good in this respect, print with matte paper setting on glossy paper so that the black is used as well. They won't work on Canon printers.

Celso

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX722
Thank you all for your valuable help. Very clear guidances.