1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: Impressive pictures from one of our new members. Here hoping for more ;)
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Gloss optimizer and fading of dye inks

Discussion in 'Epson InkJet Printers' started by Ink stained Fingers, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Jan 22, 2018
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon were, BUT 3D is better..
    The way I used to improve my pigment yellow was to add 2% magenta and 1% cyan to 100 ml bottle, there was no visual difference to the colour, but it improved the stability for me...

Ink stained Fingers likes this.
  2. Jan 22, 2018
    Ink stained Fingers

Ink stained Fingers Printer Master

Printer Model:
    L310/382/1800, P400, Pro7600
    an interesting approach indeed

3. Jan 24, 2018
    slackercruster

slackercruster Getting Fingers Dirty

Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd Home-Rustbelt is Home Base
    Printer Model:
    All Epsons!
  4. Jan 24, 2018
    Ink stained Fingers

Printer Model:
    It's not the GO alone which may turn yellow over time, there is the paper base, the coating, the GO, the optical brighteners and the environmental storage conditions all having an impact onto the fading and yellowing.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    The Hat and PeterBJ like this.
  5. Jan 24, 2018
    palombian

palombian Printer Master

Printer Model:
    Pro9500II, MAXIFY MB5350
    @The Hat , my hat off for your ingeniosity.

OTH, I have a sunflower print (behind glass) keeping it's colours very well.

The Hat likes this.
  6. Feb 3, 2018
    Ink stained Fingers

Printer Model:
    I was running a fading test to check whether and which difference it makes to use 1x GO overprint or 2x GO overprint on dye inks, it is now 9 weeks since this test started, the dye inks used for this test are fading significantly after 9 weeks with the targets placed outside, no sun, gray clouds, humitidy, and not much UV radiation at all. The black has turned brown as typical, and Cyan got visibly lighter - all colors together +69 lightness increase. The patches with 1x and 2x GO don't show any visible fading yet, the patches with 1xGO just start giving a small measurable difference +2, the patches with 2xGO no change at all. +-0. I'm stopping this test here, it shows the significant improvement possible with 1x or 2xGO over dye inks, if you use that GO option it should be more a decision which prints look better - with 1x or 2x GO, both options give you a significant improvement with the fading performance of the dye inks in use. It is the look which differes between 1x or 2x GO overprint as shown above. There nevertheless may be variances of this effect - different inks on different papers may perform different. It is just not possible to test all combinations.

Flying Scotsman, PeterBJ and The Hat like this.
  7. Feb 3, 2018
    peter D

peter D Fan of Printing

Printer Model:
    Canon Pixma Pro-100
    Might be an outrageous idea but I was wondering if it was possible that Canon might have incorporated part of a GO (their Chroma Optimiser) formulation into their ChromaLife 100+ dye inkset mixed into the individual inks. Of course it wouldn't be applied over the top of the image ink laid down but I was wondering if it worked as a fade reducer anyway.

8. Feb 5, 2019
    Ink stained Fingers

Printer Model:
    I think I didn't do any fading test since almost a year, so I'm currently trying to reconfirm some findings from this and other previous tests - does a gloss opt. overprint help dye ink prints to fade slower than w/o a GO overprint.
    I have started just a little test about 6 weeks ago with the Epson 106 dye ink - used in the Ecotank ET-770 model, an ink which turned out to be one of the best already w/o GO in respect to fading.
    There are no significant changes yet to report after these 6 weeks, the test patches are placed outside exposed to the current weather conditions - temps around freezing or above, virtually no sun , snow is gone, but most likely still some ozone around - day and night. So I'll see over the next weeks whether some effect of the GO becomes visible , and I'll report it here.

websnail and The Hat like this.
  9. Feb 10, 2019
    Ink stained Fingers

Printer Model:
    These are the first findings after 7 weeks, numbers start separating, a total of 5 or 8
    for the lightness changes of all CMYK colors is not visible yet but numbers are coming
    out of the reading noise. This confirms earlier tests that a GO overprint of dye inks
    can slow down their fading.

Paper Fading Test Epson 106 - GO overprint
    Total Lightness increase of CMYK patches (Range from 0 - 255)
    (measured with a scanner, delta via the histogram vs.
    a copy kept in the dark)
    L800 Printer, Epson 106 inkset, Ultra Glossy driver setting, Sihl glossy paper

_____________________________after___week 1__week 4__week 7

patches w/o GO overprint______________1________4______8

patches w GO overprint________________0________3______5

10. Feb 10, 2019
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon were, BUT 3D is better..
    I found when I used GO on my Glossy paper with dye ink on the Canon printer made no difference to the overall look of the prints and they faded slower at the start of my tests, but later, they caught up to the prints that had no GO applied to them..

My conclusions: It wasn’t worth the effort, more effective to use pigment ink..

Ink stained Fingers likes this.