German Durchstich refill method for Canon carts with pictures

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
QQ I wanted to ask, which of the needles from OctoInk would work best for this method?
There are a lot of them there. Can I use SquEasyFill bottles for this?
The best people to ask would be Octoinkjet, just Email for clear advice as to which one is best to buy for you.
I use 18g. Blunt for top fill but a 20g. Would be better for side fill (German)
and using the SquEasy bottles are the dogs goonas with individual coloured cap bottles..:)

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
I'm using 20g needles for German method along with the SquEasy bottles, all from Octoink.

I have used the 20g for the top fill too, and they work fine but just a little slower maybe than 18g but I have never tried them.

In any case refilling should be done in a relaxed manner, no need to rush it ;)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
As per the responses above the needle I recommend is the 20g 2" long... The two inch length is required otherwise you don't reach the spongeless compartment, but the 20g is generally better (In my opinion) because you get less damage to the sponge as you push through and don't need such a large hole.

Of course your mileage may vary but the issue of speed in refilling is something that I wouldn't stress about too much... The German refill technique requires a fair bit of patience and care so something that forces you to learn that, can only be a positive step..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
websnail said:
The German refill technique requires a fair bit of patience and care so something that forces you to learn that, can only be a positive step..
Yes, the Durchstich method is like a nice, tidy girl you respect and want to court. The traditional top hole method is like a cheap prostitute you pay for a quickie but can leave you with a mess.

Is that what you were trying to say websnail? ;)

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
To further stratman's point, the Durchstich method can only be courted with a long needle, whereas the top hole method does not place any demands on size.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I really think somehow this thread has gone drastically downhill and I can't for the life of me work out why, unless Stratman was drinking when he posted earlier.

Forum rule review in order I reckon! ;)

ruffin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 730
I agree. Can we stick to refilling inkjets. This is one fantastic forum. We dont want to muck it up now.
Regards to all

inkadinkado

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Redbrickman:

Do you use the sharp or blunt needles and do you buy your ink from Octoink as well?
If so, which ink do you use from them or, which ink do you use from your preferred source?
Those bottles look like a really easy way to refill. Yes?
Thanks for your help!!!

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I gotta say, every time I use the German refill method I'm stunned by how easy, quick, reliable, and clean it is.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I never have the problems I'd occasionally have with the "traditional" method... specifically ink flow problems. I can have all my carts pulled, refilled, and back in the printer way before the printhead heads back into the docking station. :D

Oh, and I have infinitely less ink on my hands than ever before! :thumbsup