German Durchstich refill method for Canon carts with pictures

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
got to agree, german refill method with squeeze bottles is so quick and easy. i still refill w gloves and over something just in case. can pretty much refill/reset all 5 of my ink carts in less time than the print head moves back.

been using the german method for nearly 4 years, over 215 refilled ink carts, almost take it for granted each time i refill.

have set up 3 others who are happily refilling and printing away. some learning curve issues initially but now they are pros and also can't believe how easy it is.

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MP980
Method: German Durchstich Method
Ink: Hobbicolors ink, PMT-BK, UW8
Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
inkadinkado said:
Redbrickman:

Do you use the sharp or blunt needles and do you buy your ink from Octoink as well?
If so, which ink do you use from them or, which ink do you use from your preferred source?
Those bottles look like a really easy way to refill. Yes?
Thanks for your help!!!
Yes. Octoink, the set for the 520/521 as advertised on Martin's site, and the SquEasy bottles.

Just make sure that when you put the ink caps complete with needle on the bottle for the first time that you correctly seat the O ring, (don't ask :/)

I love the bottles, so easy and no rinsing out afterwards, just pop on the cap and put away ready for next time.

I believe the ink is IS, but whatever it is I have had no problems with it, and the output is superb.

Good luck.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Redbrickman said:
Just make sure that when you put the ink caps complete with needle on the bottle for the first time that you correctly seat the O ring, (don't ask :/)
Thankfully your problems are pretty rare as the O'rings tend to fit snugly now and don't ping off the inner ring. Pays to double check before you use them on a bottle though, as you found to your cost. :(

I believe the ink is IS, but whatever it is I have had no problems with it, and the output is superb.
Yep... can confirm... The KMP blacks aren't used in sets at present and would be clearly marked as such if they were.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Yes the SquEasy bottles makes refilling a much better experience, I used mine for the first time last week & I didn't have any problems with the rings sealing. The only problem I had with my old gammy hands was I didn't tighten one of the caps quite enough & I made a bit of a mess. Maybe Martin should supply a wrench for customers over 65:)

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
rodbam said:
Maybe Martin should supply a wrench for customers over 65:)
Don't think you would get one for that sort of money these days :lol:

Oh sorry, need my glasses it's wrench :lol:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Redbrickman said:
rodbam said:
Maybe Martin should supply a wrench for customers over 65:)
Don't think you would get one for that sort of money these days :lol:

Oh sorry, need my glasses it's wrench :lol:
My first thought was "wrench? What for? To hit yourself over the head with it?" ;)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
jtoolman said:
The German method must work since this company has actually developed a refill kit that pretty much automates the principles of the method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WPMQW7aYxs&NR=1
That's a neat idea but I can't help but think there are a number of potential problems in the wings there..

Refilling a partially empty cart would end up with ink coming out the vent (the main outlet is plugged)... The whole thing requires a fair amount of force and that's going to end up with two things:
1. People being too gentle with it and getting nowhere
or..
2. People getting annoyed or simply applying too much force at angles, etc... and breaking things..

The way the drill bit is handled is kinda interesting and would be a useful approach but I have to ask what they were thinking when it came to their little ink tank.. Surely that's just as wasteful, if not more so, than the original cartridge idea... Why they didn't just have a syringe with volume of Xml in is a bit of a mystery...

Out of the box thinking though.. can't fault that.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
It seems that they are capitalizing on a technique prooven to work as they created a custom made " Idiot proof " albeit, expensive way to refill a cart. But for the novice, everything is pretty much aligned for them to use and guarantee success at least most of the time.
The ink containers would have to hold at least 10x more ink to make it atractive in my oppinion. Yet another refill kit out there.

Thombar

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100, Canon MX922
Hi Pharmacist,
I'm a bit confused here. In photo # 5 it states to keep the ink cart "horizontal" but the picture (s) clearly show it is tilted about 20 degrees downward. Was this just for the photo to show it better? Or should it actually be horizontal?