German Durchstich refill method for Canon carts with pictures

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
It's funny because out of habit I still pull out my cartridge clips when it is time to refill, forgetting that I don't need to plug the exit ports anymore.

azuchrome

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
A question with the German refill method and OEM CLI-221/PGI-220 carts : with the ink outlet facing up, we've got a transparent windown into the ink holing tank, but no way to see into the sponge area. How would I know if I've damaged the sponge when inserting the needle ? That is, let's say I've missed the cart floor with the needle tip, I've put the needle through sponge, and even though I'm seeing the tip of the needle in the ink tank area, I don't think I can tell if I've scrunched the sponge itself, because that portion of the cart is "blacked out". Ideas ? Experiences with this method on these newer carts ?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Stop when you feel an unusual resistance when entering the needle and rotate to facilitate the needle going in without any resistance. Did you see the pictures I made for the durchstich method on these latest Canon cartridges ?

azuchrome

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Didin't see your pics for the 220/221 carts, only the older series. Maybe a link would help ? Thanks !

azuchrome

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you, Pharmacist - I'll study the post. And, in future, if you can't offer assistance without being rude about it, I'd rather you didn't offer help at all.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
OK, no problem. They say a picture says more than thousand words.

azuchrome

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
pharmacist said:
They say a picture says more than thousand words.
Absolutely - you have no idea how helpful it is to see where I should I looking for the tip of the needle inside the ink chamber. I'm still a bit concerned about damaging the sponge material, though, especially since I can't actually see if the needle is damaging the sponge. I guess I'm going to have to try and go "by feel" and remember to twist the needle as I insert it.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
I have done it only 4-5 times now (with non canon carts)
Problem is that a sharp needle does not go straight through because the top is sharpened with an angle (can't describe it better). You have to control the drift.
A blunt needle goes straight, sometimes it is (not) sharp enough to cut through...

QQ

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I wanted to ask, which of the needles from OctoInk would work best for this method? There are a lot of them there. Can I use SquEasyFill bottles for this?