Generic ink cartridge vs. manufacture

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
doggman,

Here is what I would do:

1) http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1107#p1107 (make sure you follow the push/pull advice)

2) If the problem persists, buy a new OEM cyan cartridge as Grandad recommends. This is important. OEM cartridges can heal problems caused by inferior ink/cartridges.

3) If that fails, consider buying a new printhead or printer, whatever cheaper

inkjetcartridge_com

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Something you may want to consider for the R800 printers are InkTec brand ink cartridges as they are the only ones we know of which are pigment based and similar in photographic longevity to the brand name. Most people doing R800 applications are pretty sensitive about the quality of their photos. I think they match up a little better to OEM colors also. Other brands will generally give you more vivid short term colors though.

fish

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I was inspired by Grandad35's fade test and have tried doing my own unscientific testing of ink. I have been using InkTec refills for a while (prior to learning of this forum) and am testing the following:

HP 56/57 (OEM), HP 96/97 (OEM), and InkTec refill. I printed out a color chart on Kodak paper and subjected to sunlight (south exposure), flourescent light, and kept a control in the dark. Although I don't know if the InkTec black is dye or pigment based, in approximately six weeks the InkTec colors have started to fade (sunlight exposure) with the black showing a purple cast.

When my supply is depleted I will be switching to Formulabs ink and migrating to Canon printers (even if chipped) if and when my printers crash.

Although I have not had a clogging problem with the InkTec ink the rate of fading has convinced me to switch.