Freedom Refill Method for Canon BCI 3, 5, 6 & CLI 8 & PGI 5 and others

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
I can add some observations that may help. I was going to wait until I had all of this more thoroughly tested, but I think a timely response is better, as I'm pretty sure this is 99% correct.

1. I use a combination of tape and Duco Stik-Tak to seal the vent. I find that to attain reasonable efficiency, the vent needs to be completely sealed. If the vent lets in air, you won't have enough vacuum to fill the cartridge effectively, and you may have to detach the syringe repeatedly. (This is especially true in my case since I still don't have any good, large syringes.)

I find that tape leaks around the edges of the labels, no matter how carefully I press it down. LeeE pointed out that you need a plastic material to really fill the gaps. Stik-Tak works, but it fills the vent channels and is hard to clean out. So I put a small square of tape over the vent, and put the Stik-Tak over the tape to seal around the edges.

2. With dye ink I get foam in the syringe, and I simply ignore it. It mostly disappears when I release the vacuum, and in any case I only let liquid ink without foam) flow back into the cartridge, so it's not a problem. If the syringe contains only foam, I need to refill the syringe anyway.

3. I'm pretty sure the foam comes mostly from drawing air through the sponge. The smallest orifice in the equipment is probably in the syringe opening, and I doubt if this will create much foam. And in any case, the channels in the sponge are much, much smaller, so equipment design probably won't have much effect.

4. With the relatively small dye ink cartridges (CMY PK) I had trouble filling the ink chamber more than about half way with my 10-mL syringes. After that point the vacuum stroke would mostly remove ink from the sponge instead of air from the ink chamber. One of you reported the same problem, just pushing ink in and out of the cartridge.

Interestingly, I had no trouble completely filling the large, 30-mL (XL) black pigment cartridge with a 10-mL syringe. Evidently the filling characteristics depend in some way on the ink and cartridge.

If this problem is encountered, I'm pretty sure the solution to this problem is a bigger syringe. If a 10-mL syringe is filled with 5 mL ink, and you draw out another 4 mL from the sponge on the vacuum stroke, you obviously haven't withdrawn much air; but with a large syringe you can hardly avoid withdrawing air.

5. Canon cartridges have a different vent structure (with large spaces above the sponge), but for HP 564 cartridges (which have virtually no space above the sponge), it's almost impossible to get ink in the vent if you don't press on the syringe. EDIT: Not true. The HP non-XL cartridges are indeed constructed with essentially no air space, but I have since found out that the XL cartridges are very similar or possibly identical to Canon cartridges internally, and have a large space.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I, too, found it easier to refill pigment black ink. In my earlier attempts, I had about a four-inch vinyl tube connecting the cartridge to the syringe and successfully refilled about a dozen BCI-3eBK cartridges. This was basically the Russian method with a larger syringe. But when I tried the same thing with the BCI-6 dye ink cartridges, I was just pumping ink back and forth and getting incomplete fills. That's what prompted me to find a way to shorten the connection from the cartridge to the syringe.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
ghwellesjr/PeterBJ All my vacuum refilling jigs have been straight through with the full bore as originally advocated by ghwellesjr but because my syringe is so large I use both hands on it. The left hand holds the barrel the right the plunger,the cartridge at this stage has the air outlet facing upwards on releasing the plunger slowly (quite right PeterBJ} I rotate the my jig 180 degrees so the ink goes in the bottom of the sponge and tank first.

So I assume I am achieving the desired result but with a straight connection, which has a very short path and only one right angle. Not noticed ink getting into the air passages yet, but then I have not filled that many ink carts yet, but loads of water ones. Plenty of practice is essential in my view. also the large capacity syringe and efficient sealing of the air vent, like ThrillaMozilla I found it difficult to find a tape which gave a good seal. This was the main reason I carried on and built the box type with secure clamping down of the air vent onto neoprene rubber.

Obviously I have never seen the operating instructions for the commercial items, but if they were operated vertically like the Youtube offerings then it is possible ink would get into the air vent. If so this would be disastrous for the opaque cart users who cannot see what is going on also foam production would not be visible, although I think this is less likely with a large syringe

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Barfl2, are you using the jig that you posted pictures of in post #130? If so, I'm having trouble understanding what you mean by rotating it 180 degrees. What position is it in when you are evacuating? What position is it in when you are releasing the plunger?

Then you say you have "a straight connection, which has a very short path and only one right angle". Where is the right angle?

Finally, with regard to obaque cartridges (or any other, for that matter), we have described a method to get any residual ink out of the air vent path which is to remove the syringe, push the plunger all the way in (getting rid of any ink), remove the tape over the air vent (this may be a difficult step with your jig), reconnect the syringe to the cartridge, then with the air vent opening down, withdraw the plunger a little bit to suck any ink out of the air vent path and the wells in the path, then turn the cartridge over so that the air vent is on the top and withdraw the plunger a little more to clear the gap above the sponge.

pelermon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Anyone looking for Irrigation Syringes 60cc - Sterile $1.08 at allegromedical (they won't let me post the URL)
I ordered 5 -- shipping code octfs11 for $4.99 shipping
I just ordered.
I am wondering if you can.
Bend the tip. THEN - Take the tip cover, cut the larger taper to fit the cart (very snug) - cut the other small end to fit the Catheter Tip on the syringe - pvc glue it.
To make a simple "syringe to cart adapter"
Or you could possibly thread the orange cart cover to adapt a needle syringe end.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
You don't need to get irrigation syringes. A Luer-tip syringe works fine, and you can get them at any medical supply house.

The idea with the irrigation syringes is that it has a large diameter to avoid foam formation. Actually, the foam comes from the cartridge outlet filter, and if there's air coming through the filter, there's nothing you can do about it. I made a transparent Freedom Fill adapter, and you can see the foam coming right from the cartridge outlet, and mostly NOT from the syringe.

EDIT: If you still have a lot of foam after two or three pumps, either you did not have enough ink in the syringe to displace air, or you have a leak. The vent probably isn't completely sealed.

EDIT: This adapter makes it easier to see if there is still air coming from the cartridge, but it can still be quite hard with the darker colors.

7413_filladapter.jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

pelermon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have a 35cc Catheter Syringe.
I bought a clear 9/16OD x 3/8" ID to go over the cart and a clear 3/8 OD x 1/4"ID (from Ace) to go from the syringe tip (fits nicely) to the 3/8OD.
I noticed I can just push that 9/16 x 3/8 over the tapered syringe, all the way to the syringe tube and get a air tight fit and the other end fits on the cart.
I could cut off about an inch of the syringe end so the entire tube adapter would be about 1". So the cart would be 1" away from the syringe body.
It looks like you can bend the clear tubing to make that 90. Or is it better to bend the syringe end to go with the two lines connected to each other ?

Also my CLI-8PM cart has been empty for about one week, but I have had the orange cap on tightly.
I,m about ready to try to put ink in this cart. Should I purge it first or is it OK?