Here is my latest Freedom bit of kit built from various items of scrap in the garage apart from 80mmx6mm roofing bolts.
Pic. 1 general view
Pic.2. the two different sized spacers
Pic.3 the locking connection point cut from a 10mm syringe. (lock type is essential in my view to avoid inky disasters).
The jig top and borrom plates are cut from 10mm laminate floor sample which is nice and flat and tapped 6mm to take the bolts and the fill adaptor. (Studs would be nicer but not available locally) the Cart. locaters were cut from 1/8" old perspex number plate hence colour showing. The all important filling point was provided by the top of a 10mm syringe cut off at the 20ml mark. I then machined an adapator from 1/2" brass to be a slide fit for the syringe top,machined approx 3/4" down to 6mm and threaded it, and finally reduced the last 3/16 to .190 to take a 1/"2 Tap washer This last idea borrowed from
gigigogu thanks. The syringe top was bonded after the machining was finished.
The system works very well I have glued a piece of 1/8" rubber to the base (back from an old mouse mat) where the air vent fits. As long as i tighten up the assembly enough, I no longer need to tape the vent, which was the area I also prevoisly had problems with. I have now filled Photo Black, Cyan, and PG
WITHOUT ANY GLOVES, NO DRIPS, NOTHING. I have got a really solid vacuum with this system.
The PB is in the printer done its part in a 150 page run, the others are stored ready for when I need them. The 1 syringe I have is a female luer, which is fine for taking ink directly from my squeezy bottles and returning any surplus the same way. Ideally the fill point I would like to be a metal one for long lasting use, but these these items seem difficult to source except in multiple items like the syringes. I am watching my costs as this is merely an experiment.
I do not consider the vacuum system to be better than the other well established methods, just an alternative. it works well but I need now a set of virgin carts. It is of course slower assembling the various parts, and you have to rinse the fill point out each time you change colour. Likewise the syringe unless you have a full set of them Thanks to
ghwellsjr for raising this interesting subject.