Forum Software Changes

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
tools 3.JPG
I was referring to the top line only as alternative, so which ever one is used lets stick to it and not keep changing it, all I know is it confuse the hell out me.

This list below is interesting, but I wonder what percentage of hits are coming from the bottom half of the list..
list.JPG

P.S. Has the cat got everyone’s tongue, lets here from interested parties..
And no there's no prizes for participants, sorry...:)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I'm open to suggestions and feedback
The more I use this new Editor bar the more I hate the Feckin thing, trying to highlight a word in a sentence causes the whole sentence to be highlight, then I spend ages trying to undo what it’s just done, it’s making everything far more complicated..
It’s worse than MS-Word , and that’s saying something..:he

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Has anyone noticed just how slow the forum is running lately, there are times when the complete site dropped to an almost stand still, I reckon it’s may have something to do with the latest upgrades no working properly somehow.. You can nearly order a Feckin Pizza faster..

sodevious

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP8720
Thanks for the opportunity to chip in.

Looks like there are 18 total spots available in your image, Rob.

My preferences:

B . I . U . Text Color . Font Size . Link . Ordered List . Unordered List . Image Insert . Quote . Undo . Smilies

Strike Through and Media optional top line items.

Room for other's favorites, too.

Leaving one space for the More (three vertical dots) secondary tier left over functions.
if you are still wanting to rearrange or hide icons, you can install a user css browser extension which will allow you to override the styles on the site for just you. i can spend 15 minutes or so writing you a script to paste :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 10.45.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 10.45.21 AM.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 237

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
i can spend 15 minutes or so writing you a script to paste
That is very generous of you. I may take you up on your offer in the future. Thank you. :thumbsup

For now I will wait and see what the powers that be do. :caf

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Has anyone noticed just how slow the forum is running lately, there are times when the complete site dropped to an almost stand still, I reckon it’s may have something to do with the latest upgrades no working properly somehow.. You can nearly order a Feckin Pizza faster..
Yes sometimes it takes forever to upload a post or open a thread in a new tab. I have sometimes opened Google in a new tab to verify that my internet connection and browser is still working normally.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I apologize for the performance issues. It's actually something I've been stressing a lot of time / energy into.

Fortunately it has nothing to do with the software. Unfortunately our server host "upgraded" the server, but whatever they did made it worse than it was before, and they say the problems we're having has nothing to do with what they did.

So, I keep working with them and my other tech help to try and fix the issues, but also trying to decide if I move the sites to a new host... which is a big costly (in time and money) project.

Thank you for your patience and understanding as I work towards a resolution!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@Nifty

Thanks for discussing the recent slow downs. Your words help keep the mood up and the worries down.

What about the day the forum was offline? What happened?

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
What about the day the forum was offline? What happened?
Great question, wish I knew!

Basically this happened:

cpu.jpg

Site was running fine (as shown by the CPU being full of "Idle" resources until Thursday.

The "blank" area is when the site was down for about 1/2 an hour when the server company did the forced "upgrade".

After that (Friday), you can see the CPU resources going down and down until the server crashed later Friday.

That's when we were working diligently to discover and fix the problem.

We got it to the point where the sites were back up, but still with performance issues... and since then, we've been working like mad to find the problem.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Rob -

Your weekend must have sucked!

Thank you for the explanation and your work to get the forum back up and running. Hearing from you is reassuring and most appreciated.

It's hard not to notice the proximity of the software upgrade to the immediate initiation of increasing User CPU usage culminating in the server crashing.

Have you been able to determine if the event's origin were internal (forum hardware/software) or external (eg Layer 7 attack)?

We got it to the point where the sites were back up, but still with performance issues..
The plot thickens.

More than one of your web sites was affected besides PrinterKnowledge? Did all the affected sites receive the server upgrade? On the same server? Was it just your web sites affected or were other people's sites affected that use the same host?

Somewhere there's a common denominator.

Latest posts