Forum Rants

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
That heart melting moment when you go to check on an FAQ article you wrote to help folk fix something fairly simple and you get this gem of a feedback for it.
AS USUAL F..ING USELESS, WHAT "TYPE" OF BATTERIES DO THEY USE A...OL
I didn't edit it to remove the swearing but sometimes you wonder why you bother...

So, with a microsecond of concern that humanities finest has torn my heart asunder I shall lift a single digit skyward in the direction of my assailant and console myself with our customer feedback as I bask in the hard won 99.7% satisfaction rating we earned.

*sprays some troll b'gone liberally around the monitor*

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Yes, tell us ... we want to know what type of batteries did you use .. :hide

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes, tell us ... we want to know what type of batteries did you use .. :hide
Go on… Tell us what the article said.. so we can have our little moment too.. :eek:
Me' thinks y'all need to get out more but okay... Feast your eyes on yonder treatise on the purpose of battery changes for ye' olde T6710 chip resetter
https://www.octoink.co.uk/docs/kb/epson-chip-resetter-battery-replacement/

Footnote: I mean... it's not like the guide didn't show you how to find the batteries so you could find out which type was in there was it...

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
The tone of the feedback cannot be excused, but let me have a look beyond that posting - I think @websnail 's guide how to replace the batteries is as detailed as it can be describing all steps necessary - , but let me give a small hint to add a comment to it - the battery orientation should be mentioned - the battery I have has a '+' sign on top of the case - and the '-' contact - the inner contact should be oriented to the PC-board - You probably find a better text for it.

The confusing thing is that there are various numbering schemes for these button cells - for batteries of the same size - it is very confusing indeed - I find this on the package of such battery - AG3 replaces G3 - GP92A - LR41 - 192 - SR41W - 392

And there is another complicating factor - I could think that not everybody has such a small screwdriver at home and is not capable to read the minute numbers on the battery.

What are the alternatives - to go to a shop which handles similar types of batteries - e.g. shop which sell digital watches like jewelers or smartphone shops - and @websnail offers a service for battery replacement for something like 10€ + postage

Last edited:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The tone of the feedback cannot be excused, but let me have a look beyond that posting - I think @websnail 's guide how to replace the batteries is as detailed as it can be describing all steps necessary - , but let me give a small hint to add a comment to it...
Constructive feedback?!! Are you insane...?!!

I mean... It's just... Well... Really! :th :smack:lol:

--- Please excuse us while we adjust our attitude ... *cue: Elevator music* ---

*ahem*.

Yeah... that's actually a good idea but in fairness that sort of guide is two a penny when it comes to YouTube and I'm focused on the stuff that I know rather than creating resources for folk who don't take the time to learn how to research for themselves. After all Mecano was famous for deliberately including an error in their instructions specifically to encourage their customers to figure out stuff for themselves and no blindly wait for someone to spoon feed them.

That said, I'll see if I can find such a guide and link to it and I might even check the resetters I have and put the info' in but I can almost see the next comment being something like

"BUT my resetter haz completely diff'rent battrees. I wasted all this mony buyin the wrong onez cuz of this guide... I'm gunna sue!"
:hide

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Yes - don't mention the battery type - I mentioned it just as an example for the confusing numbering schemes - and yes - there are probably some people who expect you to come by to replace the batteries at their home as a kind of liefetime service............

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I suppose you're aware that batteries whose ref. starts with 'A' or 'L' are alkaline while those starting with 'S' are silver oxide. Both types have a similar initial voltage, so they would be totally interchangeable .. but not quite.
Under load, the electrical tension of alkaline batteries drops as they become gradually exhausted. Some devices, like a resetter, might apparently work if the tension drops to 1.1-1.2 volts but possibly the chip won't be correctly reset or even damaged. Instead, silver oxide batteries have a larger capacity in mAh and they keep a steady tension of 1.5 volt until they're practically exhausted. No gradual drop, hence less risk of malfunction because when the battery is empty, voltage drops almost to zero and the resetter simply won't work,
if the procedure to replace a battery is tricky, get silver oxide batteries, they will last three times more than alkaline.

Last edited: