Fixative Spray / Coating for Waterproof / Waterfast Prints

ISFuser

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
In Australia, I use a product called Ghiant Inkjet Fixative (gloss) $AUD22 for 300 ml for coating inkjet printable DVDs. This can be applied in a heavy coat (if desired) without any special need for an initial light mist coat, is touch dry in minutes and dries to a moderate glossy finish. Also available in a matt finish. Low odour. Allow to dry overnight (though probably a few hours at ~20-25C is plenty). Inkjet printed discs thus coated can be run under tapwater with no effect. I've done a couple dozen discs like this with great success.

I also tried White Knight Crystal Clear Acrylic, Satin spray, 310 g ($AUD11.63 Mitre10) because the Ghiant product was so expensive. This also gives a waterproof coat to inkjet printed discs, though is only a very dull sheen. It's inferior to the Ghiant product in that it takes somewhat longer to dry and has more smell, but otherwise it does the job. Doesn't look quite as good, but then it only claims to be satin finish. Again, even an initial quite heavy coat did not cause any inkjet print bleeding.

The "secret" seems to be to go your local hardware store and inquire if they have any acrylic spray products. My local store had two, one of which was being phased out, so I bought the White Knight product instead. Ordinary clear lacquers are enamel (oil-based) and contain solvents which invariably make inkjet printing run.

Worth a try.

cheers ;)

brendo1988

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I use a generic craft clear gloss spray available from dollars and sense stores. Its made by PJ SAS Trading pty. Ltd. in aussie and I swear by it. It costs 6 dollars for a 400 gram can. I just spray on one heavy coat. Its dry in 5 mins. VERY glossy finish.

A word of warning, Steer clear from the dick smith Sprays, They are TERRIBLE.

I haven't ever tried the Ghiant sprays, any chance of some pics? or some of the dvd's you have sprayed?

anyone interested in seeing the stuff I use, its at the end of my dvd making guide http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbicQzWsPJM