Fixative Spray / Coating for Waterproof / Waterfast Prints

Jungle

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I'm a professional printer (offset not inkjet) and for extra particular clents, we laminate business cards. This would work well for inkjet printing because you could print on any type of paper and still get a matte or glossy finish, depending on what type of laminate you use.
Laminating the card also makes it more sturdy, so you don't have to put such a thick card through your printer. It's also water proof and the ink doesn't rub off after sitting in your wallet.
I haven't checked the cheapest price for a laminator these days but I have seen personal ones available.

BlasterQ

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Laminating a business card makes it extra thick. If you carry with you many business cards, you will know what I mean. For me, the best way to print on a business card is by using a color laser printer.

Jungle

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Extra thick brick-like qualities is the trend these days. But if you want thinner...you could just print on paper instead of card and laminate that. It was just a solution to waterproofing that somebody asked about.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I've got a personal laminator that does 8.5 x 11 and they run about $30 - $40. You can buy laminating sheets in a variety of mills (thickness) so you can use cardstock and lightweight laminating sheets or vice versa. My biggest issue is the extra time and cost for laminating the cards.

Jungle

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I use something called an aqueous coating at work for protecting finishes and adding a brilliant gloss to make colors stand out. I'll have to test it to see if it works on ink-jet prints...since the coating is water-based.

I found another option on a different forum - they said it seems to work but I haven't tried it: http://www.cdspray.com/start.html

MeghanKerry

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I tested several types of clear sprays on both inkjet-printed photos and sticky-backed photo paper (found at an online art store by a company called "Janlynn"). I applied several light coats to each test piece, letting them dry for 10 minutes in-between coats. I then waited an hour to let them dry thoroughly. Last, I sprinkled water on my prints and rubbed my hand over them to test for colorfastness. Here are my results:

Photo Paper + Eastwood "Diamond Clear" gloss for bare metal (automotive spray): worked very well, no bleeding, although the paper turned slightly wavy

Photo Paper + Prismacolor Final Fixative Gloss (fine art spray): some bleeding- although colors didn't run together, the dried water had a tint to it.

Photo Paper + Colorworks by Krylon Clear Lacquer Spray: Very good results, no bleeding, dried product slightly wavy

Photo Paper + Eastwood "Clear Coat Barrier", a Nylon-Based automotive spray: WOW! I could have completely submersed this test piece and it would have been completely unchanged. Of course, when I went onto the Eastwood site to order more, I found that it is only sold as part of a $99 kit. I have yet to find another nylon-based spray.

Sticker paper + Colorworks by Krylon Clear Lacquer Spray: The best option I tested on this type of paper. No bleeding, although you could tell from the unprinted parts of my test piece that were rubbed along with the printed section that the water did lift some color off.

Sticker paper + Grumbacher Gloss Final Fixative (for fine art): Totally disappointing. My test looked like a badly painted watercolor afterwards.

Hope this helps someone.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Could you use a second printer, fill its cartrdiges with protective coating and then pass all your photos through it (as a full page-full color print) so that you avoid losing time & material with spraying?

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I love the idea, but I'd have to think anything like that would gum the snot out of any nozzles, no?

I've tried different sprays with moderate success, but I'm glad to see the results above.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Of course, but having tested various strange mixtures on my inks (some of which included sugar which is sticky) without real problems, I believe those who produce protective coatings should try it.

The printer doing this job could easily be one of those "buy me, I am cheaper than my cartridges" models, so there is little to lose.