Fixative Spray / Coating for Waterproof / Waterfast Prints

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Hey all,

At the suggestion of fotofreek, I've started a new thread for coating "PAPER & OTHER MEDIA" to make it more water fast and maybe waterproof.

What have you used and what does / doesn't work?

Mark

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Very interesting subject. I have had considerable success using clear coat automotive paint of the sort that is available in spray cans at auto parts shops, such as Advance Auto, Pep Boys, etc.. When first attempting this, I was surprised that, because of the solvent content, it did not bleed the ink (perhaps owing in part to applying a vey light mist coat first which was allowed to dry before putting on a cover coat). I have only used this on the self-adhesive material material marketed as sticker or outdoor display media. The clear coat products also contain an anti-UV component that may help reduce or retard fading from sunlight, at least theoretically. It also dries quickly, but needs to be applied outdoors or with adequate ventlation. Best regards to everyone, Mark.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Yup, I agree that FINE COATS is necessary. I was in a rush once and tried to put on a single bit fat coat. Bleeding colors was the result.

BlasterQ

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Been doing that with sticker paper since I first had my first bubble jet way back in 1996. Using it on photo paper is different though. I had little success on it. But maybe I sprayed too much coat on the first spray, that must be the reason. Maybe I'll try again.
Oh, by the way, I use a spray can using a clear (transparent) color.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
So, both of you use automotive clear coat type sprays? Mark, have you used this type of spray on photo paper, regular paper, or cardstock?

Mark

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hey Rob:
I have only applied it to the sticker type material. I'll try to experiment with some other papers this weekend & report back.

BlasterQ

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I have little success spraying on photo paper, but that was last time i was using epson c43ux. The result was awful though. with my new canon, i still haven't tried it. I'll try it later after work and let you know.

Mark

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
O.K. - Here are some very unscientific results: Using automotive clear (acrylic laquer from my garage shelf of a of an older vintage than I care to admit) I coated 3 identical 4x6 prints - 1) Kirkland glossy, 2) Matte photo; and 3) Nexxtech smooth photo paper. I allowed a mist coat to dry a few minutes followed by a few progressively heavier coats, all at about 65 deg. F. Once dry, about 15 min, I noted no change in appearance, except in the matte photo, which began to look as though a few more coats would have converted it to a satin or pearl finish. I held each print under a steady stream of room temp. tap water for about a minute with the edges cupped slightlly to avoid contact with areas other than the front surface. No penetration or change of any kind. Frankly, I was amazed by the absence of any bleed in the prints, which were all made w/ a i960 printer w/MIS inks. I'll send a scan of the results to rob for his inspection & comments.

Best Regards to Everyone, Mark

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Mark, the only thing that seemed to be missing from your experiment is the non-sprayed prints. I took some kirkland photos and ran them under some water and was pretty impressed with how water resistant (not waterproof) they were.

Do you (or anybody else) care to do an equal experiment with card stock or regular paper? Maybe I'll see if I can pick up some of this spray and try it.

Oh, and here are Mark's prints:
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/img/files/mark1.jpg
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/img/files/mark2.jpg
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/img/files/mark3.jpg

Kenyada

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Lumijet Image Shield? I've read that it is an excellent UV shield against print fading. A 14 oz. can sells for about $18. I've never really given much thought to fading, but it makes sense, what with the depleting ozone layer.