Epson XP-600 and 800 series

doom2

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
hahahah, love it Dooomy-San.... Think I have a while before my waste ink counter hits its reset point. The Online re-setter is the only one i've spotted so far, and the Service Applications available for me as a lowley end user, seem to have the ink reset removed.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
doom2 said:
hahahah, love it Dooomy-San.... Think I have a while before my waste ink counter hits its reset point. The Online re-setter is the only one i've spotted so far, and the Service Applications available for me as a lowley end user, seem to have the ink reset removed.
I've just double checked the WICReset and confirmed that support for the XP-700 was added just under 2 months ago so you're covered.

I suspect the online reset you're referring to is the USB Redirector sharing approach that was being touted by a service tech somewhere in Eastern Europe or Asia. I had quite a few queries from folk wanting to know if it was legit and from everything I checked it seemed to be. Certainly the software was only sharing the USB connection and access controlled by the customer so it wasn't like anyone was getting full remote desktop access.

What wasn't covered by the service (or the docs to go with it) was that it was very much a one time thing. The software being used was a demo with a 30 day limit and then a $75+ price tag to register (continue to use) so assuming you had a printer that had used the approach to reset, the next time you needed it again it was going to be a case of forking out $75, finding another machine to work from or hitting the road for a service centre. Thankfully WICReset updated but it was touch and go for a bit there.

EDIT:
doom2 said:
...and the Service Applications available for me as a lowley end user, seem to have the ink reset removed.
Almost forgot... Yes, Epson have worked hard to remove that functionality from their Service Utilities. The approach for allowing such functionality now requires the equivalent of a locked room with only one key and your first born as collateral against unwarranted use/sharing. I wish I were kidding but if anything I've probably understated the situation... :rolleyes:

We're heading off-topic here in a big way but just to add that WICReset compatibility is included in the "Supported Models" tab on the utility itself and I've been keeping the Quickfind tool on OctoInkjet up to date with all the options available so a useful reference tool if in doubt.

Coming back to the original discussions about these XP models though:

The discussion about the XP-600 is equally applicable to the XP-700, XP-605, XP-800... For WICreset the XP-850 and XP750 will also work but obviously from an ink perspective it's the follow-up from the PX730WD (Artisan 735, etc..) and is a 6 colour ink printer with Light Cyan/Magenta and no pigment black. All the points about refilling are identical.

Oh and last, rather obvious in restrospect, point... The cartridges for the XP-600 (et al') have no chip commonality to the XP-750/850 cartridges. Basically you can't use the Cyan from an XP-605 in an XP-850. However in physical ink terms the CMY and Photo Black appear to be the same in both families. In the UK/Europe the T26xx are for the XP-600, etc... and the T24xx are for the XP-750/850.

Final nugget is that Epson launched the XP-510, XP-610, XP-615 and an A3 model in the guise of XP-950.

The first three use the same cartridges as the XP-600, while the XP-950 follows on from the XP-750/850 format and uses their established 6 cart consumables. Your guess is currently as good as mine on whether the Auto Reset Chips will work or not, assume not until confirmed either way.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
mikling said:
The Method Tank is quite a bit of overkill for a printer like this. More Appropriate is the standard Precision External Tank (PET).
I happen to prefer your Method waste tank over your PET system because its less lightly to have an accident and spill
which would be my main concern while using an external waste ink tank, it looks far more elegant as well..:love

A question for you Mike.
Are all the Epson XP series printers AIO or are there any stand alone ones..

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
When the PET is attached with industrial grade velcro you can literally lift the printer up by picking up the PET. Rest assured detachment is not an issue. It would require a distinct desire to remove the bottle where you'd hold onto the printer with one hand and the bottle with the other.

At this time, the only printer only model in NA appears to the Artisan 50. All others are AIO. The printer only segment has shrunk to the point of disappearance. Canon has none and Epson is using a dated chassis that goes back around 5+ years now which is old in printer years. They're milking it. Investment into a new chassis is likely a no no because the market is too small. If someone wants the occasional rear feed they have the upscale 850 series for considerably more money but it offers a single sheet rear feed.

When the Artisan7-8xx series had come out, you'd think that they would introduce the improved printing on the 1400 but they didn't. That was another segment that they're milking the dye 13".

With the Canon Pro-100, Epson has tough choices for the dye based 13" photo printer. Something competitive would cannibalize their much more pricey pigment offerings and if nothing was offered, they'll slowly drip market share. At this time, the latter choice appears to have been made. This fall their cards will be revealed. Canon has shot directly into Epson's weakest point and they know it. Epson, however, now has a serious contender for the REALLY usefull AIO. This machine is a true AIO unlike the wannabe ones like the workforce series which is really a business printer.

Let me restate, the XP600 can do fast sharp text, like what we had been used to in the Canon line. It can do very good pictures like the 4 dye colors like the old Canon line. The advantage to the user of these machines is their ability to use ARCs, their easy refill, not requiring any drilling or syringes or any special techniques and if you really choose your inskset carefully..you'll be laughing. To top it off, unlike the Canon we can reset the waste ink counter and add the external tank. This machine is a sleeper.

I'm using adjprog for the XP600 to reset the waste ink counters.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
mikling said:
At this time, the only printer only model in NA appears to the Artisan 50. All others are AIO.
Looking at the EU market and abroad the equivalents of P50, T50 and T60 are likewise the only models. Of course, the L800 (where available) is effectively the Epson official CIS hybrid using the same engine again.

To top it off, unlike the Canon we can reset the waste ink counter and add the external tank. This machine is a sleeper.
... and one additional point worth noting. The Epson printhead is a lot more forgiving of clogs or ink flow issues compared to the Canon which has that wonderful tendancy to burn out so another win for the new models.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I know a few folks, that hail from here, have been asking after this, so just to note that there is now a Printer Potty & reset bundle for the XP-600 to 850 called the SoloXP2.

Just finished off the instruction set tonight and for this series I've opted to trial a printed format to see how well that's received, along with a change in approach to make it more multi-lingual friendly.

Right... long few days so finally time to sign off and head to bed... Cheers folks :)

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Only the hard core user needs to install an external waste ink tank on these machines. The Fact and shocking truth is that the pads are in fact Easily accessed and are WASHABLE on this machine. Removal of 6 Philips screws and the tank like cup drops out. The pads are then removed. properly rinsed, dried, fluffed a bit and then refitted into the tank tray. This is unlike most Epsons and Canons where the pads are not easily replaced or accessed requiring a waste system. So while I have shown a waste ink tank, I needed this for development purposes where many insertions and ink changes needed to take place. The average user will not undergo this unless one or more of three possible things happen. They use the wrong ink, use compatibles which do not work well or a CISS. Here you will experience "clogging" like symptoms of bad nozzle checks that jumps all over the place. If you have been through this, you now know what the problem is.

PROOF OF SIMPLICITY AS SHOWN
THE TANK

AFTER RINSING

AFTER DRYING

All the pads do is soak up the ink inside the cup/tank. Perfect fit is not necessary just make sure that a depression/hole is placed where it originally was.. You can even use female hygiene pads, baby diapers etc. if you prefer not to wash.

I will show the screws that need to be removed at another location after I get the shots clipped.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
First thing, is do NOT use up the Epson chips. Replace them when they are halfway down. Put them away carefully labelled and put on the ARC chips before the ones that came with the printer becomes empty. If you need to have warranty, slip the real Epson ones back on and reinstall into printer. Second, the other reason you should not go about adding an external tank immediately is for warranty reasons as well.

You don't want any physical changes/mods in the event you need to exercise warranty within the first year. Even if you refilled each cartridge twice a month, I don't see an ink counter reset being required for the average user within a year unless you've gone off the recommended route....in which case an external tank won't solve the problem.

doom2

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
I'd seen a you tube video on the removal of the waste ink tank a few weeks back, and agree that i would probably not fit a waste ink tank until the warranty of my XP-700 had expired, and so far the the only head maintenance i have had to do is due to the crappy CISS carts i was sold and the head cleans needed to try to get them to work correctly.... so hopefully now I'm refilling the Epson carts I wont be wasting much of the ink into the tank. Once the warranty has expired I'll prob fit one just for ease of emptying it and not getting dirty. ( me lazy :p )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW3KoGnQkRA

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Oh boy,

that video is the same guy that said DRILL.

Maybe next thing is that he discovered his drilling was not working out. So he started switching to a CISS and after a little while like he says his pad is up. No wonder, just like I predicted.
I can imagine the head cleans he's going through and he did not "get" that something was wrong early on.

Hi claim of no reset ability is wrong at this time. There is the wicreset and the Epson adjprog that is available. I imagine they're doing brisk business furnishing users who have strayed and filling up their printers.