Epson XP-600 and 800 series

doom2

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Just read this thread with great interest, thank you mikling, Ive just recently purchased an XP-700 that uses the same carts and had seen the drill method on youtube so glad i was pointed here first..

At the moment i only have the Epson 26Setup cartridges but seems from the past posts that they will fill to XL capacity? did i understand this correctly?

mikling, in your last post are you saying that the XL chips will always run out first before the valve is triggered or are we still best trying to get hold of Standard ARC's for the carts to force refill before the valve is triggered.

Thanks.

doom2

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
I have a CISS on it at the moment that use what looks them carts and im not getting good results on the printing and it can only be down to the OEM carts as the pad on bottom of the OEM cart are not the same as epsons or then the INK itself... so i wanted to try the Epson refill option first.

doom2

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
I am going to be starting some testing on the original Epson starter carts shortly by testing some ARC's and 2 differing ink brands refilled into the Epson starter carts using miklings method show in this thread. What I am unsure on how to flush out the carts so i can achieve an accurate test, so the ink is not being mixed and influencing the colour tests with the retained ink within the carts..

Are any of the Inkjet Masters able to advise me?

The only idea i had was to make a very small hole in the top of the starter Epson cart to force distilled water through and allowing to dry, knowing that the carts would now be fairly useless for the long term, but may allow some testing to be done on the inks brands, or would this method really mess-up the internal bladder thus making the cart not perform as a sealed unit.

How did people clean out the PGI-9 carts, and would it work with these carts?

Many Thanks
D2...

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Responding to your email directly but the short version is that the reported valve would probably need to be sealed somehow and then a modified transport/cartridge clip (the lime green ones) should allow water to be injected in, and then pulled out again.

There has however been some discussion as to whether the seal will be as good as on the PGI-9 cartridge clips so we'll find out the hard way on that one. If it proves necessary a silicon grommet may tighten things but we'll see.

Just waiting on some empty T26x cartridges so I can start pulling them apart and testing the process.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
doom2 said:
I am going to be starting some testing on the original Epson starter carts shortly by testing some ARC's and 2 differing ink brands refilled into the Epson starter carts using miklings method show in this thread. What I am unsure on how to flush out the carts so i can achieve an accurate test, so the ink is not being mixed and influencing the colour tests with the retained ink within the carts..

Are any of the Inkjet Masters able to advise me?

The only idea i had was to make a very small hole in the top of the starter Epson cart to force distilled water through and allowing to dry, knowing that the carts would now be fairly useless for the long term, but may allow some testing to be done on the inks brands, or would this method really mess-up the internal bladder thus making the cart not perform as a sealed unit.

How did people clean out the PGI-9 carts, and would it work with these carts?

Many Thanks
D2...
My advice is dont drill that hole because youll only get a gusher, it will leak like crazy.

These cartridges are internally sealed so any interference with that and your results will only be bad,
I wouldnt try to empty these cartridges either it will render them useless..

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I have now nearly completely figured out this printer. For one thing it is very sensitive to ink color balance. In this regard I will be offering a new inkset that resolves this. The standard inks 2094, 6137 etc inkset that would normally be used creates print that looks somewhat OK on plain paper and is not good at all on photo paper. Not acceptable to me. In the future I will display an example. This new inkset gives about 95-98% of what the OEM gives. This allows anyone wishing to print nice photos on this printer to achieve it with absolute simplicity without profiles etc. All the while saving 90% of the cost of OEM. Custom ICCs are NOT mandatory my new inkset.

It has taken a while since I will not release a product until I am satisfied that it is possibly the best that I can offer. I can improve the inkset to 99% of the OEM Claria but it may take a couple more weeks. Customizing inksets is a huge investment in time and effort.

Like the Pro-100, the rewards will be there for those that are patient.

doom2

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Thats very good news to hear Mikling..... The ink that i was using on Photo paper were truly awful, Totally throw away material.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I tuned it today and I am calling it a final. On some papers it is superior to OEM Epson inks. The choice of paper I used for optimization was Kirkland Professional Glossy. On this non Epson paper it might actually be considered superior to Epson in certain areas. By choosing different types with different papers, the colors are tunable. For example, choosing Ultra Premium Glossy, the output is warmed up over Premium Glossy. So any mismatches between papers are resolvable by the choice of media. Of course if the user wants to profile... fine, even better. Great results with just a few samples..It's that close.

doom2

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
I've nearly drained my Epson Setup carts of Epson Ink, and time to flush out and refill, shame the postage from the US to the UK wasn't better as it will make it way to expensive for me :( Were your color test used with Original Epson carts refilled or via the refillable/CISS carts?

Many Thanks
D2/