Epson XP-15000: how to mix dye ink with clear ink base to obtain red and grey using CMYK

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
After refilling the refillable cartridges and installing them, I suggest to run a nozzle check to seem everything is ok and try to print an image you already printed with the original ink and compare the outlook: if it is the same you do not need a profile, otherwise we can create one.

billydr

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson xp 15000
After refilling the refillable cartridges and installing them, I suggest to run a nozzle check to seem everything is ok and try to print an image you already printed with the original ink and compare the outlook: if it is the same you do not need a profile, otherwise we can create one.
Hello. Used this weekend and everything looks great. There are slight differences in colour to the correct Epson ink but imo on the paper I’m using the 106,114, cannon combination actually look better. I would say there’s just a touch more red but it makes skin tones look better. On a side note I tried the canon paper (highly rated) and it looks terrible with both the correct and other inks. The strawberry on the test page look metallic !!!

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon paper is optimized for use in Canon printer. I suggest to use an Epson compatible photo paper. I presume it is Canon Photo Paper Pro I/II you are using ? I tried Canon Photo Paper Pro in my Epson Pro 3880 a few years ago and it seems to be ok, but that was pigment ink, never tried with dye ink.

billydr

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson xp 15000
Canon paper is optimized for use in Canon printer. I suggest to use an Epson compatible photo paper. I presume it is Canon Photo Paper Pro I/II you are using ? I tried Canon Photo Paper Pro in my Epson Pro 3880 a few years ago and it seems to be ok, but that was pigment ink, never tried with dye ink.
Hello. How are you getting on with your xp 15000 ? Mine useless, every time I try to print it pulls the paper and the moment it starts trying to print it comes up with a paper jam error and won’t print. There’s nothing blocking the paper.
Looks like it’s going back :(

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
You seem to have bad item. I hope it will be replaced under warranty. Mine is printing ok.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Today my Grey cartridge was registered as almost empty and I removed all the cartridges from the printer and topped off not only the grey but all cartridges and reset the chips with the usb powered resetter and everything was declared 100%, so no more cascading ink level fall thanks to the resettable chips of the cartridges.

I advise always to refill and reset all of your cartridges when one or more carts are registered low/empty (refillables with reset at will chips). Original carts must be reset at 15% level, otherwise the chip will be disabled by the printer rendering them non-functional.

Last edited:

nertog

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3000 - PX720 - P50
Canon red is actually NOT red but a light orange, so is the Canon green which looks more like a fluorescent green than a true green. Epson green pigment ink is a bluish dark green. Epson Red is a true Red, because they also have an orange ink (Canon "Red"). I have bought a bottle of Canon GI53 Red, hopefully it is a true red and NOT orangy.
Did you have a chance to see how the Canon red ink performs compared to the OEM inkset and your magenta + yellow mix? If you have an ICC profile we can check some numbers here as well :)

mavtop

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP 15000
Hi all,
i too have the epson xp 15000 european model, with resetter and i use original Epson cartridges
for now i'm refilling only the Black, Cyan, Magenta and Yellow with Epson 106 inks (they would be the same Claria HD of the epson original 378XL inks for the xp 15000),

now my questions are:

1) for the grey i can use the 114 grey ink, will be it the same of the Epson original 478XL ink ? I mean luminosity, rendering, resulting mixing colors/black levels/greys, (but i know it will last less from the fading test)

or would be better get the grey from mixing 106 PB with clear base (i see it harder to build) ?

2) for the red i can use the formula given here and i would get the "same" red of the original Epson Claria HD, right ?

or the Canon Red gi 53 is better in performance and duration ? it will mix with other Epson inks with no problems ?

3) Are you sure that using the cartridge up to the X appears on the printer display and ask to change it (empty for the printer) will not permit to reset the cartridge ?

My last Red and also the Grey were used up to X displayed and i can't print anymore but were cleared off from the resetter (green light) with no problem, but i never tried to re-insert them in the printer because i couldn't refill them. I suspect maybe the problem could be that they will not refill, some valves could remain closed.

4) Anyway if i will mix colors (to get red and grey or use the 114 for the grey), would i make new paper profiles ?

or i will be able to use the existing one (i mean for Epson paper listed in the drivers, for other paper types i will have to create the proper profiles) ?

I used ArgylCms with my i1pro for some paper i had in stock so it is not a problem for me.

5) if someone has got the Red using 106 inks mix and Grey using 114 ink or 106 ink and clear base mix can post standard images got versus original epson ink standard images ?

I still have 3 original Red and 3 original Grey (Epson 478xl cartridges) so i can wait for the pharmacist to test the 114 grey and the Canon GI-53R

Thanks for all the help
mavtop

Last edited: