Epson Stylus Photo PX820FWD Firmware upgrade while ARC installed

james3

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 835
Hello,
just checking on the Epson website I discovered that there is a recent firmware upgrade for my printer ( nov 2020), but I'm currently using ARC refillable cartridge.
Does anyone has experience upgrading firmware while using compatibile / refillable ARC / CISS cartridge ?
Could it be harmful for my printer ?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
just don't do it unless you have a problem with your printer which has been fixed explicitly by Epson. There is normally not a complete list of bug fixes available, and it could be that Epson changes the age window for cartridges - the chip of every cartridge for Epson printers carries a mfg date code which could be blocked - as well in ARC chips.

Last edited:

james3

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 835
Thanks, exactly what I was thinking "If ain't broken don't fix it"

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Epson is desperately taking all possible measures to prevent refilling, for their latest printers they officially declare only OEM inks can be used.

Would you buy a car you can only fill up with one brand of gasoline ?
Not me, and IMO more and more people will react the same way and this will backfire on Epson.

Edit:

james3

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 835
Epson is desperately taking all possible measures to prevent refilling, for their latest printers they officially declare only OEM inks can be used.

Would you buy a car you can only fill up with one brand of gasoline ?
Not me, and IMO more and more people will react the same way and this will backfire on Epson.

Edit:
Plus I have to add that even if my printer was really neglected in the past years (left for months partially airclogged) it stil works flawlessly and has no problem at all once the printer head is perfectly primed and can handle different non OEM inks even the ones that came from cheap compatibile cartridges

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Plus I have to add that even if my printer was really neglected in the past years (left for months partially airclogged) it stil works flawlessly and has no problem at all once the printer head is perfectly primed and can handle different non OEM inks even the ones that came from cheap compatibile cartridges

You're not alone to keep what you have ...

I am in the Canon stable where the described trend is followed with some delay, I hope they won't play it as rough as Epson. Not amazing they are already under terrorist attack ;).