Epson R3000 PK cartridge not recognize

ioprappas

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-10S
I am a longtime user of refillable cartridges / inks in an Epson R3000 (refillable cartridges with ARC 2nd generation).
As of know, if Photo Black ink reading is very very low on the chip and you switch the printer to Matte Black, I 'll not be able to switch back to Photo Black.
Usual advise is when Photo Black is reading low, keep printing until it switches back to full and then switch to Matte Black!
Unfortunately, I forgot this advise, and now my printer is not able to switch back to Photo Black.
Is any solution to this problem?
Thank you in advance.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
You could try taking a picture of the chip on your R3000 PBK cart (close-up would be best) and share it here. Someone may be able to recommend a seller or source for a new chip to get you past the issue and then swap back. That way you can have a backup plan in case you hit this in the future.

Alternatively try your original refillable cart supplier to see if they have any spares. Best I can recommend though as the ARC's may not play nice with other/different/newer generation chips.

lolopr1

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4800,R3000 & 9600
I am a longtime user of refillable cartridges / inks in an Epson R3000 (refillable cartridges with ARC 2nd generation).
As of know, if Photo Black ink reading is very very low on the chip and you switch the printer to Matte Black, I 'll not be able to switch back to Photo Black.
Usual advise is when Photo Black is reading low, keep printing until it switches back to full and then switch to Matte Black!
Unfortunately, I forgot this advise, and now my printer is not able to switch back to Photo Black.
Is any solution to this problem?
Thank you in advance.
As websnail mentioned your best option is to get another set of chips or you will be better off with a new set of cartridges. I own a R3000 myself and I currently have 2 sets of extra cartridges to swap them when needed. Just last night I replaced the yellow cartridge after getting the error of not being recognized by the printer. Since the R3000 is a bit old, refillable cartridges are only available by only few sellers on ebay. Take a look here US seller https://ebay.us/qVW08a Chinese seller https://ebay.us/vGYd0j

Dae

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson
I gave my Father in-law our old R3000 and he came into the same problem. His solution was to get a new chip for the cart in question which was the same cart you have an issue with (Photo Black).

He picked his up from Inkjet Mall, https://shop.inkjetmall.com/Shop-By-Printer/Accessories-R3000/

You can reset these chips from Inkjet Mall as well so you won't run into the problem of having a low PK and switching to a MK.