EPSON Ecotank printer, INK, official Driver on windows behavior

ClarenceL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G570, EPSON L800/L3150
That's a pretty compehensive test you have started here, please make a note somewhere which time period the measuered values are for.
I agree with you that a mix of CMY dye inks and a pigment black don't go well together in such test, some Epson ink sets come with a dye black, that would need to be measured. I'm using the 106 photo black as a substitute for the pigment black, it impacts the summary deltaE value the least .
You are using the DeltaE(2000), I'm using the DeltaE(76), it does not really matter, since I'm not doing a visual assessment I don't really care about the differences how and why they are calculated differently - to bring the numbers closer to a visual perception of wider color variances. I'm looking for a ranking as the outcome of such testing for the inks and papers under test and an understanding how these react differently - turning brown - causing a bluesih or reddish color cast at the end etc.
Which numbers are you recording in the 'White' column ? Are you measuring the white point of the paper ? Or the luminance change of a given patch ?
If you measure the white point separately you may catch the effect of the vanishing effect of the optical brightener in the paper , and the white point will shift from a blueish tone to a yellow tone. An OBA will fade as well like the other dye inks.
Oops , I forgot to note the date. Edited.
The weather forecast for the next week seems like only 3 days sunny. Might check again after 2 weeks or more.
Maybe I would change to DeltaE(76) next time.
I am measuring the 'white' patch , seems like I am observing the OBA fade on the paper for reference.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
- you can consider the optical brighteners as a hidden additional color - they fade as well and impact the lighter colors and the white point, the white point is shifting from a cool white to a yellow white over time, and this explains the difficulty profiling such a paper. The HP Premium Glossy Photo Paper is a paper with the smallest amount of OBA's overall as I found over quite some time - excluding special FineArt museum type papers which are much more expensive. And there is another adverse longer term effect that deteriorated OBAs cause some additional yellow fading/staining over time.
https://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/optical-brighteners-obas/

I see some interesting effects in your numbers - similar to those I can see in my tests as well - the Cyan/Magenta ratio is very much different between papers and inks , this shows again that a judgement of an ink alone does not tell the complete story, the paper plays an important role - it's the ink/paper combination which counts.

The black of the Epson 664 ink looks pretty weak - that will turn brown pretty soon and prints with that ink will look ugly with the chocolade brown instead of a black - or a dark gray after some exposure. I found that the 664 ink performs overall no better than arbitrary 3rd party inks like those by InkTec - at a much lower price.

I'm always using a patch print on the same paper type with the 106 inks which let me compare weather conditions over time - the total exposure dose of light, UV and ozone changes from test cycle to test cycle due to different weather situations, I may get a deltaE of 3.8 in one week during springtime - overcast - less sun or 7.6 during a sunshine period in one week but I'm not going to try normalizing or readjusting my numbers and I'm not trying to separate variations from different levels of ozone and UV, additional levels of complexity are possible, but I try to draw my conclusions from the relation between the numbers during a test.

I don't think the overall ranking of the results would change whether you use deltaE(76) or (2000)

Last edited:

ClarenceL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Update DeltaE 76 version on previous post.

Also provide a quick compare profile between Hongsam EverNew , T673, 82N Claria Photo ink on EPSON T50.
The test paper is 130gsm Cast Coated Glossy Paper.
T50_EverNew_T673_82N_.png

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Do you somewhere calculate a total of the deltaE's of all your color patches - or an average of them ?

ClarenceL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Update recent records about the Fade test.
epson720_220627_DE76.png
HC200g_220627_DE76.png
IK180g_220627_DE76.png

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Let us go through your latest numbers of your fading test, it is apparent that the Epson 664 ink is pretty weak, at all times - in all your reports , that's one of those inks which performs no better than arbitrary 3d party ink like InkTec or no-name, there is no reason for a user to pay a premium price for an Epson ink with such weak performance. The user can get alternative inks if he needs longevity - the Hongsam inks or other Epson inks like the 106 inks used for the ET-7700/7750 . This agains shows that Epson with 664 inks - or Canon as well - deliver pretty weak inks with a wide range of their Eco/Megatank printers, and some other printer models get much better inks , the customer is not informed, and it is difficult to find relevant information in the product specs.
The 673 inks have a pretty limited use with the L805/L1800 A4/A3 photo printers, they are not used elsewhere, they are performancewise somewhere between the 664 and 106 inks and are not classified as Claria inks , I'm running the 106 inks on these printers instead - better inks at the same price in Germany.

It is my understanding that you are using a color stripe with the patches A - K as you show it in your posting #29

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/epson-ecotank-printer-ink-driver-behavior.15445/post-135214

Could you please post a .tiff file of that color stripe, I like to see where the colors of the patches are located in the Lab or RGB color space.

ClarenceL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Let us go through your latest numbers of your fading test, it is apparent that the Epson 664 ink is pretty weak, at all times - in all your reports , that's one of those inks which performs no better than arbitrary 3d party ink like InkTec or no-name, there is no reason for a user to pay a premium price for an Epson ink with such weak performance. The user can get alternative inks if he needs longevity - the Hongsam inks or other Epson inks like the 106 inks used for the ET-7700/7750 . This agains shows that Epson with 664 inks - or Canon as well - deliver pretty weak inks with a wide range of their Eco/Megatank printers, and some other printer models get much better inks , the customer is not informed, and it is difficult to find relevant information in the product specs.
The 673 inks have a pretty limited use with the L805/L1800 A4/A3 photo printers, they are not used elsewhere, they are performancewise somewhere between the 664 and 106 inks and are not classified as Claria inks , I'm running the 106 inks on these printers instead - better inks at the same price in Germany.

It is my understanding that you are using a color stripe with the patches A - K as you show it in your posting #29

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/epson-ecotank-printer-ink-driver-behavior.15445/post-135214

Could you please post a .tiff file of that color stripe, I like to see where the colors of the patches are located in the Lab or RGB color space.
The Hongsam K seems fade faster on Glossy papers.
Seem like I should keep my old expired T673 K.

On Paper HC200g Cast Coated Glossy paper, the T5431+T06G(T542) seems very strange. I should read the stripe again today.

The above test missing the K ink from T522, I would start another test sets.
Plan to select CMYK all dye ink sets from GI-73, T502(Not include K), T522, T673, T664, 85N, Hongsam EverNew.
This time would print from the same printer XP2101 & same media setup.

Here is the color stripe in RGB color space, I also upload the txt file to generate the customize patch.

Attachments

• base_inks.zip
    3.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
You are running your test on 3 different papers currently, the paper type has a significant impact onto the ink fading performance which makes it difficult to compare findings; I did a paper test here

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/a-fading-test-of-inkjet-papers.15381/post-134351

which shows that the HP Premium Plus Photo Paper performs very well across different inks, and it has the least amount of optical brighteners which fade as well and can cause other problems. We may - if we ever run a test at the same time - agree that we use the same paper - just one paper like this HP paper which is available everywhere around the world. We may use other papers additionally - papers which locally available. I was using this HP paper already before in various tests over several years.

ClarenceL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
You are running your test on 3 different papers currently, the paper type has a significant impact onto the ink fading performance which makes it difficult to compare findings; I did a paper test here

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/a-fading-test-of-inkjet-papers.15381/post-134351

which shows that the HP Premium Plus Photo Paper performs very well across different inks, and it has the least amount of optical brighteners which fade as well and can cause other problems. We may - if we ever run a test at the same time - agree that we use the same paper - just one paper like this HP paper which is available everywhere around the world. We may use other papers additionally - papers which locally available. I was using this HP paper already before in various tests over several years.
Agreed! I am trying to get that paper, not yet found it.

Searching HP Premium Plus Photo Paper, 300gsm? glossy​

From your table, I still have some Canon PT 101.

Last edited: