EPSON Ecotank printer, INK, official Driver on windows behavior

ClarenceL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G570, EPSON L800/L3150
When I try to fill the 4 color pigment oem ink to L655, I notice the profile seems like similar to the original T774pigment +T664 dye. (Matte media type)
L655_matte.jpg

But seems different to the 4 dye inks printer, I am wondering if they can works better on 4 dye inks model?
L550_matte.png

But unfortunatly I can't find any PrecisoinCore based model came out with 4 dye inks.
I tried the similar age WF2650( DuraBrite Ultra & the same 400/128x3 nozzles) driver, it works on L655. But seems like the same behavior.
L655_T06G_T774_matte.png

Most of the Ecotank based on none PrecisionCore , usually came with 180/59x3 nozzles.
It's also very frequently seems on XP & some WF models
I am curious about the different behavior between ink, printer & driver.
I get a cartridge model XP-2101(180/59x3 nozzles), flash to chipless fw. It's compatible with other ecotank & some XP models driver easily.
So I can change the different inks quickly like @Ink stained Fingers using WF2010.
The test would based on the same cheap 130gsm Coated Art Paper, driver media type as matte or Inkjet paper.
Select XP-2101(original Pigment black + CMY dye)as target printer, XP-2101, XP-245(original Claria Home dye) & L365 (Original T664 dye) as drivers.
drv_tbl.png

Start with T664 CMYK dye inks
XP2101_T664.jpg

Just finish print on T774+T06G (All pigment), would update test results tomorrow.

Attachments

• model_drv_lists.jpg
    model_drv_lists.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

ClarenceL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Just found I am wrong about the Claria Home ref 202 cartridge. It's actually pigment black + CMY dye.:eek:
But the driver behavior for chromaticity on XP245 seems like similar to the L365. Except the Dmax, the driver on XP245 limits like L655 & WF2650.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
You spent quite a lot of effort to create all these profiles, are you using all these printers and ink combinations ?
I assume that the dotted line/triangle in the xy-diagram is the sRGB color space ?

ClarenceL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
You spent quite a lot of effort to create all these profiles, are you using all these printers and ink combinations ?
I assume that the dotted line/triangle in the xy-diagram is the sRGB color space ?
Only L655, XP2101 & TX430W are physical exist printers. (I also have some other Ecotank models, at first I try to fix broken L550 & L655 from coffee shop retired machine. And dig into other color issues etc. It's a long story... Anyway, I have 7 EPSON printers running in my room now:oops:)
Other lists on above table as grey background just print via different drivers.
My original motivation was to create the profile for All pigments ink on L655.
But now considering to move to L31x0. Before I fill the ecotank, I would like to test on XP-2101 for a quick results.
And consider to extend the test to other inks like GI-73, 106 or Hongsam Evernew(Seems like it's not hard for me to get them via taobao in small bottles)
Might also add fade test once I setup a workflow for that.

It's ARGB color space, somehow the image generated title might have bug. But the bottom selection seems correct on input1 & 3.

Last edited:

ClarenceL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
The T774 pigment black seems like would smudge by finger on the paper I use.
It's 130gsm , coated, glossy.
I don't have a precise paper name, since it sale as the paper for the prepress proofing on inkjet printer.
It should touch like flyer.
PXL_20220506_115935380.MP.jpg
Anyway, I would get the T542/T06G Durabrite Black Ink to check again.(Above image not printed by pigment ink)
The https://www.epson.com.au/news/technologynews/durabrite_ultra.html claim they support most of the EPSON glossy papers.
From what I noticed even old cartridge TX430W with DuraBrite Ultra ink, the driver also print glossy papers in CMY only.

The test results as below, at first check the L655(ET-4500) again for reference in the same ink.
L655_8.png

XP-2101
XP2101_a.png

XP2101_b.png

XP2101_c.png

Attachments

• XP2101_T774_T06G_s.png
    XP2101_T774_T06G_s.png
    199.2 KB · Views: 146
  • XP2101_T774_T06G.png
    XP2101_T774_T06G.png
    349.1 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
The T774 pigment black seems like would smudge by finger on the paper I use.
It's 130gsm , coated, glossy.
Yes, the matte ink does not adhere to the glossy surface, that's a general effect and not just related to Epson inks.
Epson blacks are marked as 'PB' for the bottled dye black - Photo Black - and 'BK' for the matte pigmented black.

You can do a simple thing in the 4 color pigment ink printers - like the WF2010W and lots of other models - just use a refill photo pigment black and use the matte paper selection in the driver and you'll get very good prints on glossy photo paper - a good black and a good gamut (depending on the pigment inks you use). I'm not aware of an Epson bottled photo black pigment ink for Ecotank printers), Epson will not compete with their P700 by offering a ET-8550 like model with pigment bottled inks. It would do it I'm sure - I ran an L1800 for quite a while with pigment inks but going back to dye inks is a hassle.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Durabrite inks on glossy papers - that works, but I remember that I saw some bronzing effect stronger than with some other inks - but that depends very much on the ink/paper combination. Some people don't see that effect or some other don't care.
Glossy papers are either cast coated - the coating applied to the paper base - and it still feels paperlike on the backside, or there are the PE/RC papers - the papere carrier sandwiched with a very thin PE foil on both sides and the resin containing coating applied to the PE ffilm, these are typically the better papers - higher and more uniform gloss, the papers don't curl or curl much less than cast coated papers. I'm using several types of papers - cheaper cast coated papers - via Amazon, Ebay etc - Labelheaven - Hayatec and more, that's papers I select for the lowest price. And there are premium PE/RC papers like the Canon PT-101 or HP Premium Plus Photo Paper which I use as a kind of reference, they are available around the world. And there are some other local PE papers I'm using.
The fading of an ink is not just an ink property, it depends very much on the paper you are using for a test , my tests always show wide differences for different papers.

ClarenceL

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes, the matte ink does not adhere to the glossy surface, that's a general effect and not just related to Epson inks.
Epson blacks are marked as 'PB' for the bottled dye black - Photo Black - and 'BK' for the matte pigmented black.

You can do a simple thing in the 4 color pigment ink printers - like the WF2010W and lots of other models - just use a refill photo pigment black and use the matte paper selection in the driver and you'll get very good prints on glossy photo paper - a good black and a good gamut (depending on the pigment inks you use). I'm not aware of an Epson bottled photo black pigment ink for Ecotank printers), Epson will not compete with their P700 by offering a ET-8550 like model with pigment bottled inks. It would do it I'm sure - I ran an L1800 for quite a while with pigment inks but going back to dye inks is a hassle.
True, I can't found any Epson photo black pigment oem ink.
It's also one of the reason I haven't transfer my L800 to other non-oem ink yet.
Oops, admit I have another 6-color printer.:)

I did have some different cheap glossy paper, premium RC/PE glossy photo paper and
some canon OEM SG-201, PT-101 , LU-101(for test on G570).
Yes, I would like to try the GI-73 ink, but instead just buy the ink.
I bought the printer with 2nd ink sets in a good deal around 300USD.

BTW, just notice a kind of the bottle pigment ink popular in Asia.
Clam it can print around 25 degrees celsius on almost any paper.
Seems like design for universal art paper, might be search as "Art paper ink".

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Yes, there is no Epson photo pigment black in bottles; you can drain larger cartridges for the large format printers - P7900 and all those, or you can use a pigment black ink for Canon printers - like the PFI-305 or PFI-701 cartridges for Canon printers with Lucia (Pro) inks , those black inks run in Epson printers, and the blacks are pretty good - a good black level, no bronzing; and these cartridges can be found in Europe beyond the expiration date pretty much discounted ; I never had problems with such expired cartridges.
And yes - you can print on matte paper with photo black - the black level may be slightly different, but it depends - as always - on the paper/ink combination