Epson 3880 uses different chips in USA and in Europe?

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Requirements for the condition of the original CHIPS ( Ink Level percentage ) when used on refillable carts will differ greatly! It is all dependent on the coding of the controller chips that are used.

The requirements will run the gamut. So don't take just one set of requirements fro one company as the gospel for all.

Buy the refill carts and use your original chips. If they are not empty you should be fine. They are ONLY used to identify the COLOR they are coded to. All 9 chips have specific codes for the specific color they represent. You can not exchange them and that also applies for the controller chips they will work in tandem with.

Joe

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
You are confused.......Join us..one minute you are asking about Cone carts and chips, now you have bought 60ml syringes and are quoting muttett......
May I suggest that you post an outline of what it is you are actually trying to achieve then the person that has experience in that area will pick up and direct you to the answers that they found.
Cheers,
Andrew

Ian Barber

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3880
Sorry Andrew if I confused you, I have a tendancy to do that sometimes.

My requirements are:

I am wanting to try refill carts in the R3880, at this stage just one to dip my feet in the water. My chosen target is PK.
I was a little confused as to why Marrut USA stated that the OEM chip had to register 10% full but @jtoolman has answered that now
I bought the 60ml syringe and adaptor to harvest OEM from larger ink carts I am buying just like @jtoolman shows in his videos.

Hope this is more clear :)

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Sorry Andrew if I confused you, I have a tendancy to do that sometimes.

My requirements are:

I am wanting to try refill carts in the R3880, at this stage just one to dip my feet in the water. My chosen target is PK.
I was a little confused as to why Marrut USA stated that the OEM chip had to register 10% full but @jtoolman has answered that now
I bought the 60ml syringe and adaptor to harvest OEM from larger ink carts I am buying just like @jtoolman shows in his videos.

Hope this is more clear :)
Ok gocha!

Here I bow out as I am not able to assist with running just one 3rd party cart amongst OEM's, while its pretty straightforward and an every day occurrence to introduce one 3rd party one cart at a time but I have not done it so I will bow out here in hopes that what I have been able to contribute is of use to you good luck I will follow with interest
Cheers,
Andrew

Ian Barber

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3880
Thanks Andrew, your support has been very valuable in this discussion.

I was initially unsure about the quality of the refill carts and whether not having the ink in a sealed internal bag would introduce any long term issues. Although I guess this is possible, no one has actually come forward and expressed a problem. I see you have been using them for some time and appear to 100% satisfied.

Ian

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks Andrew, your support has been very valuable in this discussion.

I was initially unsure about the quality of the refill carts and whether not having the ink in a sealed internal bag would introduce any long term issues. Although I guess this is possible, no one has actually come forward and expressed a problem. I see you have been using them for some time and appear to 100% satisfied.

Ian

I jumped in boots and all, a leap of faith after lengthy research, the encapsulation which Cone had and shared only with OEM carts at the time, was the clincher for me. @jtoolman was an absolute life saver with his advice for a fix on sticking carts hard to extract, Since then many refills, framed images and given away and sold many many prints all still being displayed in the savage Aust UV environment as we are in the zone of most impact by ozone depletion with NO ill effect on pigment prints primarily on Canson watercolour paper , both colour and B&W. Also Canson Art papers so yes I print sell and give away with absolute confidence. My Cone carts are faultless had no need to resort to using ANY of the Cone backup carts as yet.
I washed and rinsed with bore water initially, it tests as high grade mineral springs water... then gave it away and simply top up by weight/sight ........Honest not a single issue in 4 years..

Closest I got was a vivid Magenta fail a nozzle test print. Rested it 24 hrs and it printed 100%, that was after a 6month Summer here at 40 degrees centigrade, bone dry 24/7....... and a total of 8 months of neglect :oops::oops::oops::hide

Cheers

Ian Barber

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3880
I have now pulled the trigger and ordered some PK Cone ink and a cone refill cart to do some testing. :)

RogerB

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pro3880
I know that ConeColor has a very strong following in many quarters so I am probably swimming against the tide now; however, I thnk someone needs to redress the balance slightly.

I switched to ConeColor in my 3800, largely because of the good things being said bout it, and used it for a year or so. Since I made my own profiles I had no problems with colour matching although I did note that ConeColor was giving me a smaller colour gamut than Epson K3. I could live with that but what finally made me look elsewhere was the lower Dmax with PK ink and the excessive bronzing on my B&W images.

I eventually switched to Inkjetfly IMA24/36 V3 which gave me a slightly bigger colour gamut than OEM although I found it essential to have custom profiles to remove a visible magenta cast. The IJF gave almost the same Dmax as OEM with PK - visibly better than CC. The bronzing was also virtually eliminated.

After I switched to IJF I submitted samples to Aardenburg Imaging for light fade testing because there was so little information on third-party inks. I submitted four samples in January 2011 but they didn't go into test until February 2012. The Aardenburg Conservation Display Rating (CDR) on Harman Gloss Baryta is 47-54 Megalux Hours - not as good as Epson HDR but still pretty good. Interestingly the CDR on the same paper but using the Advanced Black and White mode is 60-100+ Megalux Hours - still passing at 100.

As a comparison, ConeColor has been tested at Aardenburg using the R3000. It has achieved a CDR of 11-15 Megalux Hours on Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper Glossy. Epson K3 on the same paper achieves 47-54 Megalux Hours.

For anyone that's interested there's a recent thread on Luminous Landscape on ConeColor versus Epson. You can find it at http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=102606.0

Now I know that many people are very happy with ConeColor and I'm not saying they shouldn't use it - it's obviously a good price/performance trade off for them. I just wanted to point out that it's not the only third-party ink for Epson K3 printers, and not necessarily the best.

Ian Barber

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3880
what finally made me look elsewhere was the lower Dmax with PK ink and the excessive bronzing on my B&W images.

What Dmax was you achieving with Cone PK and what paper was it tested on Roger