Epson 3880 Refilling - Problem with resetter

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Have been wrestling with this problem for most of the evening. Will try and be uncharacteristically brief, but include all relevant data.

have been refilling my 3880 using OEM carts and harvesting OEM inks from larger carts for economy faithfully following the tutorials from JToolman. This has worked well with no serious problems for about 2 years - probably 3 complete refills in that time.

This evening topped up my carts and find the resetter is not resetting my carts - all 9 of them.

This had been a documented resetter induced problem couple of years back, and Mickling kindly sold me this functioning resetter at discounted price, and it has worked flawlessly til this evening.

I have cleaned all contact areas on chip and resetter. All carts are better than the recommended 15% minimum level.

When resetting I get the red then solid green indicating a good reset, but all carts indicate their previous level.

11.30pm so going to bed now, but hoping somebody can come up with some thoughts or ideas as I have exhausted my limited expertise on this subject.

rs

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Roy. Try resetting the twice. Reset and reset. I've had to do that on occasion.
Joe

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Try open the resetter and change the batteries.

Thanks for thesuggestion. I thought of that - Surprisingly the resetter does not have a removable battery. Everything is soldered onto a small motherboard. There are a few components I cannot identify and I suppose one of them is the battery.

It had crossed my mind that the battery had become discharged with enough charge to show the light, but insufficient to reset the chip.

The resetter still resets the waste tank

rs

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Roy. Try resetting the twice. Reset and reset. I've had to do that on occasion.
Joe

Thanks Joe,

I tried that without success. I also have a spare set of cars - and they failed the reset as well.

Have ordered a set of third party carts with ARC chips from Precision Colors. I will use the OEM ink in them.

At least they should work until I can resolve the problem.

rs

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I reckon the battery has run down, even nuclear power only has a half-life of 2500 years... ! :eek:

Certainly sounds like the most likely cause. Of some concern is that one of our members. I think Harry Briel recently described a similar scenario happening without warning. Hoping it is not the result of some nefarious activity by Canon. :(

rs

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Certainly sounds like the most likely cause. Of some concern is that one of our members. I think Harry Briel recently described a similar scenario happening without warning. Hoping it is not the result of some nefarious activity by Canon. :(

rs

I didn't know that Canon is infiltrating Epson printers to sabotage their firmware :lol:.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I didn't now that Canon is infiltrating Epson printers to sabotage theire firmware :lol:.

Oops - If I had half a brain I could be dangerous. Should have read "Epson" of course. :(

rs

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Thanks for thesuggestion. I thought of that - Surprisingly the resetter does not have a removable battery. Everything is soldered onto a small motherboard. There are a few components I cannot identify and I suppose one of them is the battery.
Could you post a picture of the circuit board? I'm just curious, because we had opened some resetters and all had removable batteries:
https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...son-pro-3880-blocked-in-software.10115/page-2
BTW I once had an empty battery in a stereo receiver, and I could solder it out and solder a new one in... if the contacts are not too small...