Dye based ink fade resistance of 200 years?

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Is this real? I recently encountered an ink seller selling dye based ink with such a claim that says 200 years of fade resistance when the photos are stored in albums, 100 years under glass and 80 years exposed to air and light. Seriously how is this possible? Dye colorants are known to break down when attacked by UV, ozone gas and humidity. Maybe I am out of date that I am not aware of such advances of technology. Is this real or a sales pitch that is completely out of line? Frankly the seller also sells stuff such as CISS and blank ink cartridges that are obviously made in China. This makes it especially suspicious about the truthfulness of the claim. If the claim is actually false isn't it that the seller is engaging illegal practices in business? What's your opinion about this? I'll appreciate to hear your thought about this. Thanks in advance.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Advertisers can make any claims they want as long as they give you your money back if their claims don't hold up. If you don't buy the product, you can't make a complaint. At least, that's the way it used to work in California and I suspect still does.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
But if the ink fades in say one year is there any recourse you can do? I don't think you can ask for your money back after using the ink all up.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
That's a good point. I don't know how that would be handled.

Unless the seller provides a written warranty, you probably wouldn't get your money back.

I'm really trying to make the point that there is very little protection by our governments against sellers that make outrageous claims. The problem is that it is very difficult to prove any claim is false except by actually purchasing the product and seeing if it lives up to the claim. If the seller then simply offers to give you your money back, they are in the clear as far as our governments are concerned.

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I think I will avoid it. It is such an incredible claim that it won't take a genius to know that it is not possible.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
It is the old story. If it sounds too good to be true ---- it isn't.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Funny - I thought that pigment inks were more light, ozone, and moisture resistant than dye based inks. The only scientific tests to date use accelerated exposure techniques to extrapolate long term stability. For the 80 year claim I would expect that the only way to really prove the case would be to print documents today and look at them 80 years from now! I don't think I have time for that as I'd be 155 years old by then. Of course, you could take a peek between now and the 80 year mark to verify that the prints are still as vivid as when they were made.

Reminds me of the problem with determining when wine has aged and reached its peak. Unfortunately, you have to periodically uncork a bottle to taste it. Once opened you have no choice but to drink it as the bottle is compromised for future evaluation.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi All,

All who believed these nonsense about a dye ink lasting 200 years should be put into a psychiatric clinic. Even Epson guarantees their colour-based pigment inks for only 80 years.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
So take a picture of your baby and put it in your will that he must show the print to Epson after 80 years to get your money back. Then you can post on this forum, hey that 80 year claim was bogus and Epson wouldn't reimburse him.

Simon R.

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Not sure if all papers can last 200 years, ink - probably not.

However some of those old manuscripts in the libraries, are much older than taht... so who knows?