Dye based ink fade resistance of 200 years?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
That said but :) if they would only make pigment acrylic ink, now that would turn a few HEADS..:cool:

nche11

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
The reason pigment based ink is more permanent is by fading on its molecules on the surface to form a barrier to protect the molecules unber the surface from further fading. This causes pigment ink less vibrant period. If you can coat a thin layer of UV protection film on top of prints printed with dye based ink it should have a similar effect. The print will be more permanent. But all such UV coating tends to cause a color shift or reduction of vibrancy. UV protection coating has been used for protection of paint for years.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
What about ozone gas coming from the rear uncoated side of the paper? Something else is that dye can actually bleed over time in humid climates. I've seen it before as it has happened to me.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
nche11..

I taught that because dye ink was transparent and let the UV light in it faded faster, and pigment ink is opaque which blocks UV light therefore was far more resistant to fading..

;)