Don't forget or ignore cartridge flushing.

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
ok 1 question about the plugs, will they fit the hole if you pop the ball out of the cartridge or do you have to drill a new holoe

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
No.
They must have a 1/8" dia drilled into the cart.
The plugs are designed for cleanly cut, 1/8" diameter holes.
It is very easy, I start with a 7/64" bit and then true up the hole with a 1/8" bit.

I use a battery-powerd drill at very low RPM.

Be sure to choose the correct location for your type of cart.
Mine are BCI-6 and their optimum location is closer to the retainer clip than the newer carts require, as shown in the pictures from Hobbicolors.

You want to avoid the baffles below when you choose the proper location.

davec

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I read this thread with considerable interest, I am new to the forum and have never really read up on any of this stuff before. I have been refilling my Canon MP500 CLI and PGI ink cartridges for 5 years now, I am still using the original cartridges that came with the printer.....each of the cartridges has been refilled at least 60 times during this period and I am ashamed to admit that I have never flushed out any cartridge. I even use the same ink in the CLI and PGI black cartridges, even worse I don't know whether I am using pigment black or dye black in both. My ink just says black and suitable for both types of cartridge. For the first 3 years I wasn't even using canon compatible ink...just the cheapest I could get from Morrisons supermarket when they had a 2 for 1 deal. I only changed to Canon compatibles, when I noticed a slight magenta cast on photos printed at high resolution (they were fine at low res).

I had never heard about the German method and simply drilled a hole above the non sponge tank.

The only thing I do is clean my printhead once every 6 months or so......so far no problems, but it seems I may have just been lucky?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
davec

:) If it has worked for 5 years for you, then doesnt change a thing keep your cartridge filling routine the same.
You have managed to keep your printer going trouble free for a l o n g time now so if it isnt broke dont fix it.
I think a round of applause would be appropriate now but sadly you wont hear it, but you can have one anyway from me.. ;)

davec

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks....In fact I am pretty sure the black I use is dye based in both cartridges, so this may be another reason for no problems, as I assume the pigment based inks are slightly more prone to clogging. It may be the kiss of death, but I have just bought the Squeasyfill system from Octoinkjet and decided to treat my printer to some decent and "correct octojet inks for my cartridge types.

I have even gone the extra step of buying from ebay, some new empty cartridges, all ready for refilling with tabbed plugs and an orange clip on the bottom so I don't have to keep a gloved finger on the outlet hole.

.....I suppose my printer will finally go wrong once that lot all gets delivered. :/

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
davec

Stick with your OEM cartridges dont be tempted to use 3rd party ones, you dont want to end up with a mishap that could cause the death of your printer.
If you are going to use Octoinkjet inks (good choice) you will have to purge the Canon cartridges to get them back into good condition before you use your new inks.
Try Octoinkjet KMP black its the best.
.....I suppose my printer will finally go wrong once that lot all gets delivered.
There is no reason to think it wont go on just like before maybe better.. :)