Don't forget or ignore cartridge flushing.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
There seems to be a focus on refilling the Canon tanks with various methods and which needles is best or the optimal length etc. german method etc etc. I think while that has its merits no one has really pointed something out. So I will.

Well as long as you get ink into the tank and reseal the tank, the cartridges will work properly. You can use the German method, the USA method, the English method etc. eventually your own method.

There is something more important that should not be ignored and that is that the cartridge sponges will eventually need to be flushed to maintain proper ink flow to the head. If ink flow to the head is not properly maintained, slow degradation of the head nozzle heaters will occur and eventually can destroy the printhead. This is the whole basis of how so many users have the belief that refilling clogged the head...and in truth, it did because I would hazard to guess that they did not know about flushing.

Everyone is entitled to have their favorite refill method. That's choice but consideration should be given as to how the cartridge is to be flushed. If one opens up a hole to the tank, flushing is easily accomplished with nothing more than a faucet. This consideration is vitally more important in the long run than how it is to be refilled.

One must consider or devise an easy way to flush, below is one way flushing is accomplished easily but it is incompatible with the German method. It simply requires a faucet and running water.

EasyFlushing_Small.jpg

So how does one easily flush with the German method? without getting getting or devising special jigs?

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
It makes sense to flush out dried ink from the sponge once in a while. But I think it also depends on what ink is being used. I have refilled compatibles, OEM empties of BCI-6 and CLI8s with Hobbicolors ink for more than a year. I have never needed to flush any of my BCI-6 and CLI8 refilled cartridges. That's right, not a single one. Maybe I am too lucky. Every time I refilled a cartridge I looked for possible sponge blockage trouble. Most of the time I found no sign of trouble. Once plugged in a clean cycle later the nozzle test print always looked perfect.

I can agree that this probably will not be forever. I do look for sign of trouble always. I always observe how ink is spread into the sponge when I refill ink from the reservoir tank. If ink spreads in fast it will flow out fast. I seem never see a slowed one when ink is filled. The sponge has to be near empty to begin with so I always almost use the cartridge to near empty before I refill them. I will find out when eventually I will need a round of purge for the cartridges.

I don't believe I am the only one who has been lucky. Anyone who refills with Hobbicolors ink please share your experience. Do you need to purge your cartridges?

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
The dried ink that is believed to cause blockage in the sponge should be dissolved back into solution (liquid) when fresh ink is filled back into the sponge. In other words all the ingredients in the ink should be water soluble. I believe this is why I have not needed to flush my cartridges. I don't believe I am the only one who have not needed to flush refilled cartridges.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The requirements for when flushing is required varies depending on how many times the cartridges have been used, how fast it has been used and a host of other various factors. Just indicating that it has been one year is not evidence that flushing is not eventually going to be required or that it is not necessary or that you were lucky as luck plays no part in this. As said before, the factors surrounding printing cause variations that are not easily predictable nor totally understood. But eventually and that is the operative word here, eventually, it is going to be required some sooner than others and should not be ignored.

While ink is soluble and much of it can be diluted with new ink if one flushes the sponge with new ink on refilling, this delays the need but eventually it will no longer be effective enough at some point. To get a better idea, of the deposits that remain, it is well known that using hot water to flush is more effective than cold and that tells you something about the deposits.

The concept of flushing is not new and have been discussed on and off on the forum over the years, but the unfortunate part is that for each person that presents a case for flushing there are possibly countless others oblivious to the problem that end up with burnt out printheads that are described as clogged.

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I just checked my ip4200. the CLI8-BK and PGI5 were still more than 50% full. CLI8-Y still has a few drops at the bottom of the reservoir tank. But he Cyan and Magenta were bone dry. Got them refilled in 10 minutes. I found it took only 15 or 20 seconds for a full reservoir tank of ink to lower its level below 30%. That's 5 or 6 ml of ink spread into the sponge in less than 20 seconds. You can see it going lower in every second. Plugged them back into the printer. Did a nozzle check (without a clean cycle) the print was perfect, not a slight banding at all. Gosh, this is 20 to 30 refills in one year. I refill about once every two weeks. Whether you look at how long or how many times the cartridges have been refilled there is just no sign of trouble that tells that I need to flush the cartridges.

I don't believe I am the only one who is so (not) fortunate to need not any flushing for the cartridges. My cartridges are OEM. Ink is Hobbicolors. Anyone who refills with Hobbicolors ink please share your experience. Do you really need frequent flushing of your cartridges?

fish

Printer Guru
Reaction score
mikling,

For the chipped cartridges is it necessary to keep the chip dry? Should I tape over the chip?

Thanks

Fish

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Mikling,

There is a very effective method to rinse cartridges refilled by the german Durchstich method. I will put here a link to my post of the German Durchstich method:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2465&p=3

By injecting distilled water prior before rinsing the cartridge, this water will counter the pressure during the flushing process and prevents restaining of the sponge chamber when the pressure falls back when flushing is done. After the sponge is completely white, just use the German Durchstich method to withdraw the water out of the ink chamber.

jru

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Fish,

I found it very hard not to get water on the chip, no matter how hard I tried.

If it does get wet, it seems like one should let it thoroughly dry before using the cart.

So I decided to find a way to cover the chip for the next time.
But it did not seem like a good idea to put any tape adhesive onto the chips, so I took a piece of wide masking tape,
and took a small piece of narrow scotch tape, and put the piece of scotch tape down centered onto the wider
piece of masking tape. (The adhesive side of the scotch tape onto the adhesive side of the
masking tape. This makes a small rectangle within the piece of masking tape, and the scotch tape
rectangle has its smooth (non-adhesive) side that will face the chip.

I then loosely put the masking tape to cover the chip, trying not to let it actually touch the chip -- just cover it.

In doing this I could see the outline of the scotch tape, as light passes through the masking tape, so it is easy to
make sure the scotch tape smooth surface protects the chip.

Once the piece of masking tape was adhered around the chip,
I took a second piece of masking tape and added it perpendicular to
the first.

Masking tape is not waterproof, but it did stop any splashed water
from reaching the chip.

When the cart is purged, I immediately removed the tape.

Perhaps someone has come up with a better way to cover the chip while protecting it from splashing water?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Here is my purge unit I made from parts found at the local Home Depot:

1) 3/8" inner diameter clear vinyl tubing (outer diameter 1/2"), 3 feet ~$1.00 worth.

2) One Sweeper Nozzle, Model 56171 at Home Depot, $2.97 (similar to but with some plastic: http://lawn-garden.gillroys.com/Hoses_&_Sprinklers/Hose_Nozzles/BRASS_SWEEPER_NOZZLE-s761223.html). This screws onto my utility sink's threaded fawcet like a typical garden hose would.

3) One Hose Clamp 7/32" to 5/8" to secure #1 to #2. Cost ~ $1.

4) 2mm hole drilled into the top of the spongeless area next to the edge of the decal (near where the ball is located) to let the purge water out.

The flexible tubing easily fit around the exit port of the cartridge. Warm water washed the sponge clean in well under one minute and I have no ink on my hands. I held onto the cartridge and directed the purge stream down the drain hole, but any ink in the sink washed completely out without staining.

I have used hot glue to close the 2mm hole on the top of the cartridge after purging. Am interested in hearing about people's experiences with Mikling's silicone plugs. (http://cgi.ebay.com/Plugs-for-refil...hZ003QQcategoryZ99319QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem)

I have never had any issues with water and the chips. My purge unit helps prevent water from washing all over the chips. If you are worried about the chips and tap water, rinse the chips off with fresh de-ionized water to remove potential conductants in your tap water. When the sponge is dried enough, so too will be your chips.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Mikling:

How often do you flush your PGI-5 and CLI-8 cartridges?

Since I am using ink purchased from you, I would like to know how the ink holds up over time and with power users like yourself in order to anticipate potential issues with my printing in the future.

Thanks.