Don't forget or ignore cartridge flushing.

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
in preparation of flushing empty cli cartridges that i have purchased, (seller said some may be as old as 6 months), i have tried drying a BCI-BK after flushing (i use the german method for filling). using a shop vac with numerous adaptors i was still concerned about moisture in the sponge area. oh yeah i filled the spongeless area with water before flushing and using the syringe to remove the water after flushing that works great. so i found that if i put the needle and the syringe back into the cartridge and removed the plunger, then put the vac hose on the syringe (with an adaptor) i was able pull out another 4 mls of water out of the sponge area. i am concern about the amount of water left in the sponge as it will dilute the ink. i don't know how people are getting these sponges to turn white after flushing unless the pigmented BCI-3eBK will not totally clear itself when flushing

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
mrelmo,

First, blow low pressure compressed air into the vent port - this pushes out more water than the shop vac. Then turn the carts upside down (with the exit port pointing up) on a flat surface and place a fan so that air blows over the exit port. It may take a few days, but this will almost completely evaporate the water remaining in the sponge and filter. As previously stated, placing the carts in a vacuum will also speed up the evaporation process.

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
mrelmo said:
i don't know how people are getting these sponges to turn white after flushing unless the pigmented BCI-3eBK will not totally clear itself when flushing
I have not had luck getting the BCI-3eBK sponge real white, especially in the sponge area around the outlet port. The other BCI-6s do get almost totally white. I think the BCI-3s will need to be flushed more often than the dye based ink cartridges. I also fill the BCI-3 cartridge with Windex after initial flushing and let it sit for a day or so, then reflush. Does help whiten the sponge somewhat.
To get the water out of the sponge I have a tube device connected to my compressor that fits into the top fill hole (I don't use or plan to change to the German method of filling). It really blows out most all the water from flushing. I have another similar tube device that connects to the faucet for flushing. Some say to always back flush, but I have had at least two problems with the BCI-3eBK cartridges where the sponge moved up from the outlet hole when backflushed and no amount of reasonable bumping would get it reseated. Had one cartridge leak in the printer because of this problem - hadn't seen that the sponge moved until I noticed the leaking. Couldn't get it to reseat.

Steve W.

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
ok after considering a vacuum, i decided to use my seal-a-meal i placed the cartridge in the container and hooked the container up to the sealer and sucked all of the air out several times now i will let it sit for a day or 2 and see how that works, after my previous post about using the needle to remove the moisture , i tapped the exit port on my hand and i was still getting quite a bit of water out of the cartridge so i hope this will be a better method, results to follow

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
With an 1/8" dia fill hole drilled above the reservoir tank, it took the better part of a week to completely dry the tank.
I vacuumed and used compressed air, then let them sit in my hot vehicle while I was at work.
The best position was as Grandad stated, with the exit port up (and the 1/8" hole clear to breathe).

Several days went by before I could no longer see moisture above the foam.
Without the 1/8" hole it would have to take longer, I would think.

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
well i am trying not to put a hole in the reservoir as i am using the german method for filling, to put a hole in the reservoir i might vas well go back to using screws and o-rings, but the opportunity of a cartridge leaking is something i don't want to get into

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
mrelmo said:
well i am trying not to put a hole in the reservoir as i am using the german method for filling, to put a hole in the reservoir i might vas well go back to using screws and o-rings, but the opportunity of a cartridge leaking is something i don't want to get into
The best solution that I have found is the silicone rubber bung from Hobbicolors.
It is positive and very tidy. Installed, it looks OEM.

Flushing and then trying to dry without that additional hole would seem to be a handicap.

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
mrelmo said:
i've gone to the hobbicolor site but can't locate the rubber plugs
Use the "Ask seller a question" to request info and price on the plugs. He usually supplies those kind of parts as a separate item on request. The plugs are shown when you select one of the multi-color refill kits and scroll down the pictures.

Steve W.