Do Epson inkjets intentionally print bad when using non-OEM inks?

masbass

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have an Epson SX125 (small home printer/scanner) and contrary to all printers I have used in the past, this model consistently leaves quite a few gaps and/or misalignments when using non-OEM cartridges. Could this be intentionally programmed by Epson to discourage non-genuine ink use? Is there a problem with my printer? Or, does ink quality be of a certain level for these printers' technology? When I switch to Epson cartridges, the faint areas/gaps as well as misalignments (this last one is suspicious) disappear... I don't care much about print quality as I'm using this printer every now and then for some text-only print-outs, but all those gaps are too many to ignore.

costadinos

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
7900, 4900, 9890, R2000, P50
Try printing using the higher quality mode, or disabling bi-directional printing, to slow down the printer.
Some of the lower quality third party inks don't have as good flow characteristics as the OEM inks, and that can lead to gaps when printing in fast/economy mode...

masbass

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
ok thanks, will try that :)

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
When you get gaps between passes and it is not due to clogged nozzles, then a head alignment should be performed. Quite often that will fit it.
Go to your maintenance tap in your driver to run it.

masbass

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I had tried both head cleaning and head alignment but it doesn't do much. When I switched to Epson cartridges again it did print without those annoying gaps, that's why it seems it's either intentionally done by EPson or the generic ink quality needs to be above a certain level. And all this is a bummer for me as I only print out text on pages and this epson setup demands all 4 cartridges present in order to output grayscale...

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Although I moved from Epsons to Canons about 10 years ago due to easier refilling, I expect that there are some similarities when diagnosing some printing problems. In my experience, some of the Canon aftermarket prefilled carts I tried several years ago didn't have adequate feed characteristics. Sounds like that is the problem you are having, and the fact that switching back to OEM carts pretty well rules out the printer as a problem to me. there may be very good aftermarket prefilled carts or aftermarket carts for your own refilling, but if your OEM carts are easily refillable you can then purchase known quality inks for refilling. The quality of ink in prefilled non-OEM carts may or may not be ok, and the manufacturers of these carts may change the inks without notrifying the end user. Best to control the quality of ink as well as the quality of the cart.

While non-oem carts may look exactly the same as oem carts, some just don't function as well. I suspect that this is your problem.

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
Same problem here. I managed to get my vintage printer in working order and I bought ink that is made for the T007/T008 carts. The ink is called 'UV INK' and it is the dye type. Although the ink is sold and priced as premium quality some of the printer nozzles get clogged. I've used cleaning fluid and lots of ink to clean the head, but the problem returns. Sometimes when the nozzles are clean and I print a photo the problem starts half way the photo.

When I exchange the refill carts by OEM carts, the printer works without a problem. The photo's look as if the printer is brand new. Nozzle check prints are 100%

What should I add to the non OEM ink to make the flow better? Or should I dillute the ink with destilled water? What is the secret ingredient in the OEM ink?

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Lucas28 said:
Same problem here. I managed to get my vintage printer in working order and I bought ink that is made for the T007/T008 carts. The ink is called 'UV INK' and it is the dye type. Although the ink is sold and priced as premium quality some of the printer nozzles get clogged. I've used cleaning fluid and lots of ink to clean the head, but the problem returns. Sometimes when the nozzles are clean and I print a photo the problem starts half way the photo.

When I exchange the refill carts by OEM carts, the printer works without a problem. The photo's look as if the printer is brand new. Nozzle check prints are 100%

What should I add to the non OEM ink to make the flow better? Or should I dillute the ink with destilled water? What is the secret ingredient in the OEM ink?
Are you refilling OEM carts or are you refilling aftermarket carts? What is the source and brand of the ink you are using to refill? In my estimation, there is no additive that you can use if the cart or the ink are not feeding correctly, If you are getting good results with the OEM carts with original inks that pretty much rules out a printer problem. Using the problem carts and having the first half of the photo printing properly and not the last half tells me that you have carts with feed problems.

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
generic or 3rd party ink cartriges often suffer from bad internal design and terrible ink flow. Or even the viscosity is not really comparable to the original ink.
Your SX125 epson printer uses pigmented Epson DURABrite Ultra Ink be advised the MOST of the common 3rd party inks I know used cheap Dye inks in there cartriges. You should grab your self a refillable kit of cartriges and 100% Epson DURABrite Ultra Ink compatible Ink from Octopus or Inktek.

E0013-01LB Black 1000ml
E0013-01LC Cyan 1000ml
E0013-01LY Yellow 1000ml
E0013-01LM Magenta 1000ml

They retail at 25 per Litre with less amount the prices per litre raises..

cheap set of refillable cartriges
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Set-of-4-Emp...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item2c6d00d350

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
Thank you for the reactions!

cls: The printer is not a durabrite printer. Actually it's an Epson Photo 895, so it's vintage. One of the first generation printers that prints photo's from a CF-card without being connected to a PC. It's build for use with 6 colors dye ink, so I bought this ink set.

fotofreek: The cartridges I use were empty refillable cartridges, spongeless and with ARC-chip. It seemed better than refilling old carts. I think the only suspicious product here is the ink.
The ink has no brand. The seller offers 'to put your own brand on it'. True, this set is found on the net under different brands.

Of course I can buy OEM cartridges from now on and pour the suspiscious ink down the sink. But ink is nowadays more expensive than a printer. I want to make the ink more solvent.