Did Ink Ruin My printer?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
If lines are forming, it is possible that you may need to purge the magenta cartridge. I will note that the i560 is a long time out of production and if this is the first time you are refilling it, then that is perhaps the problem. Refilling dried out cartriidges or cartridges that have been open and in storage can sometimes be troublesome. Canon recommends that once a cartridge seal is opened, that it be used within six months.

chobo2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
mikling said:
If lines are forming, it is possible that you may need to purge the magenta cartridge. I will note that the i560 is a long time out of production and if this is the first time you are refilling it, then that is perhaps the problem. Refilling dried out cartriidges or cartridges that have been open and in storage can sometimes be troublesome. Canon recommends that once a cartridge seal is opened, that it be used within six months.
How do I purge the magenta cartridge? I saw they have a magenta purge one and I done that but that was before the yellow went back in and it was good. Like I really can't get purging ever day I done it so many times now that I am just wasting so much ink.

The cartridge was probably opened for about 4 months.

chobo2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
mikling said:
Where is the scan you said you were going to do?
LOL since no one was answering I thought there was no point to do the scan anymore. Now that someone is answering again I guess I will go do that scan when I go back on Monday.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Don't leave the tanks open overnight. No one said to do that. The ink will dry out at the outlet and can cause problems.

The other thing that I noticed is that you indicated you were printing and had some cartridges out? Like printing yellow before you put the magenta back in. Don't tell me you're doing this. That is very bad for the printhead.

I fear you are trying too hard and causing yourself grief. Initially you said that the yellow was the problem and it seems to be a different issue now.

If none of the cartridges leak at all, and you can get a perfect nozzle check pattern at times then something else might be the culprit. Try popping a new set of color cartridges in and see what happens. That is a key determinant of what is happening. If it prints perfectly, then slowly replace one cartridge at a time over a few days and see what is causing your problem. That way, you see the cause of the problem immediately. You can always reseal the extra ones and having a second set of cartridges is always recommended over just refilling the existing ones.

chobo2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
mikling said:
Don't leave the tanks open overnight. No one said to do that. The ink will dry out at the outlet and can cause problems.

The other thing that I noticed is that you indicated you were printing and had some cartridges out? Like printing yellow before you put the magenta back in. Don't tell me you're doing this. That is very bad for the printhead.

I fear you are trying too hard and causing yourself grief. Initially you said that the yellow was the problem and it seems to be a different issue now.

If none of the cartridges leak at all, and you can get a perfect nozzle check pattern at times then something else might be the culprit. Try popping a new set of color cartridges in and see what happens. That is a key determinant of what is happening. If it prints perfectly, then slowly replace one cartridge at a time over a few days and see what is causing your problem. That way, you see the cause of the problem immediately. You can always reseal the extra ones and having a second set of cartridges is always recommended over just refilling the existing ones.
Well I already left the carts out and nothing bad happen so I guess I got luck.

With the second I was stating after I put the yellow cartridge back in after it was standing out side I did a print and magenta printed fine. It was until later the magenta started to change color.

I don't have a extra set of carts the only color I have extra is yellow and I will try that and see what happens.

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
With the second I was stating after I put the yellow cartridge back in after it was standing out side I did a print and magenta printed fine. It was until later the magenta started to change color.

I don't have a extra set of carts the only color I have extra is yellow and I will try that and see what happens.
You state that the magenta started to change color. To what color? Can you describe it? It would really be better for you to do that scan. Do that or take a photo of what prints.

chobo2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
canonfodder said:

You state that the magenta started to change color. To what color? Can you describe it? It would really be better for you to do that scan. Do that or take a photo of what prints.
Ok Here are the scans

So one of the scans(left side) shows how it looks after a cleaning cycle happened. The other one shows how it looked after a couple hours on the cart sitting in the printer. With these picts you should get a basic idea how it looks since the scanner seems to not be super high quality and it does look a bit different(more brown in it).

I have not printed out a purge test lately since I just don't want to waste anymore ink at this time but its probably worse by now.

http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/4849/inkxp3.png

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Your cyan is getting (leaking or wicked) into the magenta. You can see as the printer prints, the mixed ink gets used up and the magenta is getting back into a pure color again. Check again that the cyan is not leaking.

Give the cyan cartridge a gentle squeeze on the sponge side. Take a paper towel, wick some of the cyan ink from the outlet. Then take a good look at the outlet as you hold up the cartridge. See if there is a buildup of ink at the outlet like it is sweating. If there is none, then the cartridge is good.

Try it in the printer again and see what happens.

chobo2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
mikling said:
Your cyan is getting (leaking or wicked) into the magenta. You can see as the printer prints, the mixed ink gets used up and the magenta is getting back into a pure color again. Check again that the cyan is not leaking.

Give the cyan cartridge a gentle squeeze on the sponge side. Take a paper towel, wick some of the cyan ink from the outlet. Then take a good look at the outlet as you hold up the cartridge. See if there is a buildup of ink at the outlet like it is sweating. If there is none, then the cartridge is good.

Try it in the printer again and see what happens.
What do you mean by "wick some of the cyan ink from the outlet"?. Like do you mean push on the sides then take a paper towel and dab around on the nossel?

I must say I am quite surprised that you think it is cyan that is causing the problem since that is a cartridge I bought from canon and till I started refilling the yellow ink I never had this problem.