Did Ink Ruin My printer?

chobo2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi

I bought some ink from percussion ink. I refilled one color up(yellow). After this all my stuff started printing out more green then anything else. When I did a deep clean yesterday all was fine. Today I printed out something again same thing again everything looked all green. When I did a deep clean again its all fine once again.

It seems like every time I use it I have to do a deep clean.

So I am not sure what is going on.

I have the canon i560.

lolopr1

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4800,R3000 & 9600
chobo2 said:
Hi

I bought some ink from percussion ink. I refilled one color up(yellow). After this all my stuff started printing out more green then anything else. When I did a deep clean yesterday all was fine. Today I printed out something again same thing again everything looked all green. When I did a deep clean again its all fine once again.

I have the canon i560.
Make sure that the hole you make in the cartridge is correctly seal.The most likely problem is that the seal over the fill hole is not air-tight.

chobo2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
lolopr1 said:
chobo2 said:
Hi

I have the canon i560.
Make sure that the hole you make in the cartridge is correctly seal.The most likely problem is that the seal over the fill hole is not air-tight.
Well I was told to make 3 holes. 2 air holes and one over the tank that you put a screw to cover up.

As how I understood I was to cover one of the air holes up closest to the screw.

After I took up the tape off the spout where the ink comes out no ink came out after filling so I thought it would have been tightened up enough(even though they said ink would come out none never came out). So how do I test if it is not air tight?

lolopr1

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4800,R3000 & 9600
As how I understood I was to cover one of the air holes up closest to the screw.
After I took up the tape off the spout where the ink comes out no ink came out after filling so I thought it would have been tightened up enough(even though they said ink would come out none never came out). So how do I test if it is not air tight?
Take a look here, you cant go wrong if you fallow their instructions
http://www.cartridgedepot.com.au/dl/tech/CDepot_Canon_BCI-3e6_Refill.pdf
http://www.inksupply.com/direct.cfm
Good Luck.

chobo2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
lolopr1 said:
Take a look here, you cant go wrong if you fallow their instructions
http://www.cartridgedepot.com.au/dl/tech/CDepot_Canon_BCI-3e6_Refill.pdf
http://www.inksupply.com/direct.cfm
Good Luck.
The reason for him have those 2 holes is so that you can flush out the old ink in the sponge with new ink. I am not sure why they leave one air hole open but I thought that had to be done.

I was just looking at my cartridges I noticed under the yellow that there was some ink on the ring parts(you know where you put the cart in and the nossle goes on the round thing). None of the other ones had it

Is that the problem?

lolopr1

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4800,R3000 & 9600
The reason for him have those 2 holes is so that you can flush out the old ink in the sponge with new ink. I am not sure why they leave one air hole open but I thought that had to be done.

I was just looking at my cartridges I noticed under the yellow that there was some ink on the ring parts(you know where you put the cart in and the nozzle goes on the round thing). None of the other ones had it

Is that the problem?
I never heard of that technic with the 3 holes in the ink cartridges. I'm 100% sure that the method you are using to refill your cartridges is the problem. Can you post a picture of the yellow cartridge so everyone here can see what you did. I can tell you one thing if you make 2 holes in the sponge area that cartridge is no good now.:|

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
lolopr1 , if you haven't seen the situation the one thing said is wrong. The cartridge is still GOOD.

The holes on the sponge side are primarily for flushing or diluting away the old ink after it has dried. This will give an partial effect of vacuum refilling without a vacuum. They key reason for this is to lengthen the time or increase the amount of times you can refill before a flush becomes necessary. The reason one hole is left open is that sometimes a user will block the vent passage without knowing it and telling people to blow into the passage is not sometimes understood. So balancing the risk of blocking the vent hole and causing ink starvation or leaving one hole to ensure ink feed, the leaving one hole open is preferred as the one detriment is a small increase in ink drying as opposed to destroying a printhead.

The problem is that there is an air leak on the tank side that is small. This is allowing the ink to flood the nozzles and cross contaminate most likely the cyan. The deep clean process basically bears this out, as the nozzles are all flushed of the cross contamination green ink and the printer prints fine again. The yellow is just slowly oozing out the nozzles and running up the cyan or blue when the printer is parked.

The method used to reseal the hole is identical to that used by grandad35 where he coincidentally was first to use similar screws before me but I did not know of this before I learned of his method as well. These are tapered machine screws that seal against the rim of the hole just like the valves on an engine. What has happened possibly is that the screw has not been tightened enough and air is seeping. This method will also seal even if the screw is not inserted straight. The only precaution is that during the removal of the ball, the hole edge must not be damaged. The screws can be tightened down enough to deform the body so try turning the screw an additional 1/4 turn or so, until the air seal is tight and the pressure balance is obtained.

The prevention of needing to flush is to help inexperienced users minimize the likelihood of damaging their printer due to bad ink flow after multiple refills. This is the most common problem with people refilling and then damaging their printer and printhead.

lolopr1

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4800,R3000 & 9600
mikling said:
lolopr1 , if you haven't seen the situation the one thing said is wrong. The cartridge is still GOOD.
Mikling, I maybe wrong but if I have to go to that extreme and make that many holes to be able to refill my cartridges :p I will think is time to get a new set of cartridges, remember is just my personal opinion based in my own experience with canon printer (I'm not an expert) that's why I switch to Epson no more sponges :lol: Canon printers are great if not the best but not for me, also one more thing that Canon have is the best customer support in the entire printer market.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
You can refill it with just one hole on the tank side like everyone has done before, purging is not something many users really want to deal with and that is the problem with the Canon cartridge. Not many people will switch printers because of that issue. Most, after having bought a printer just get shocked at how much a new tank costs and want to refill.

So many refill for a while, and then they claim that refilling clogged their printer. This as many know, is not the reason. and that the life of the sponge has been exhausted and not because of the ink. maintenance of the sponge is now necessary and that is beyond many refillers. With the cost of CLI-8 tanks, that is unpalatable to many.

My feeling is that they should enjoy the savings, be shown how to extend the life of their sponges or minimize the need to purge and when the time comes to purge, be made aware how to recognize the situation and deal with it either by maintenance or purchasing a new tank. What is most important, though is that the refiller has to know refilling ad infinitum is not possible with the same tank, without bumping into an issue. Sadly most are not informed and Canon then sells a lot of printheads.

chobo2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
mikling said:

The holes on the sponge side are primarily for flushing or diluting away the old ink after it has dried. This will give an partial effect of vacuum refilling without a vacuum. They key reason for this is to lengthen the time or increase the amount of times you can refill before a flush becomes necessary. The reason one hole is left open is that sometimes a user will block the vent passage without knowing it and telling people to blow into the passage is not sometimes understood. So balancing the risk of blocking the vent hole and causing ink starvation or leaving one hole to ensure ink feed, the leaving one hole open is preferred as the one detriment is a small increase in ink drying as opposed to destroying a printhead.

The problem is that there is an air leak on the tank side that is small. This is allowing the ink to flood the nozzles and cross contaminate most likely the cyan. The deep clean process basically bears this out, as the nozzles are all flushed of the cross contamination green ink and the printer prints fine again. The yellow is just slowly oozing out the nozzles and running up the cyan or blue when the printer is parked.

The method used to reseal the hole is identical to that used by grandad35 where he coincidentally was first to use similar screws before me but I did not know of this before I learned of his method as well. These are tapered machine screws that seal against the rim of the hole just like the valves on an engine. What has happened possibly is that the screw has not been tightened enough and air is seeping. This method will also seal even if the screw is not inserted straight. The only precaution is that during the removal of the ball, the hole edge must not be damaged. The screws can be tightened down enough to deform the body so try turning the screw an additional 1/4 turn or so, until the air seal is tight and the pressure balance is obtained.

The prevention of needing to flush is to help inexperienced users minimize the likelihood of damaging their printer due to bad ink flow after multiple refills. This is the most common problem with people refilling and then damaging their printer and printhead.
So I have the cart right now standing up so the nossel is on the paper. No ink has come out yet.

I screwed it tigher yesterday it seems a bit better but still not perfect. When I started to unscrew it now I saw what looked like to be air bubbles inside the cart tank. So I don't know if thats a good thing.

edit

I unscrewed the screw and put it on this time ink came out when the screw went off.

When I stand the ink up no ink comes out but when I push on the sides ink comes out. It never use to do that nor do the other ones do this when you push on it.