Cool trick! How to do nozzle checks as a scheduled task

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
In my Windows 10 Scheduler this works (triggered every 2 days with my normal user account)

C: \AUTONOZZLE\AUTONOZZLE.BAT

(remove the space after the C: otherwise you would have read :\)

NET USE LPT3: \\INSPIRON\PRO9500
COPY PRO9500.SPL LPT3
NET USE LPT3: /DELETE

PS: I stopped this since I can't find any advantage versus switching the printer on only when needed

mmcmusnret

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't provide more info...I'm running Win8.1. I didn't have to fool with admin rights for the other two batch files/scheduled tasks. They run perfectly and on schedule. Can't figure out why I'm running into issues with the Pro-100. And I tend to agree with your conclusion, @palombian, with one exception...the fat black in my MP780 has been a thorn in my side for years. I used MIS Autoprint but realized after yet another clog that the limitations of that program wouldn't resolve my issue...Autoprint can't accomodate using a .txt file that would exercise the 3ebk black. I was manually printing a Word document periodically but my summers get pretty busy outdoors so I ended up with a clogged printhead again. I now have that situation under control with this batch file. I probably don't need it for the PRO-100...it has never failed me no matter how long it sits idle, sometimes for months.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Retired so I can fish and play with toys...like printers!
@mmcmusnret, If you ever need another hobby, try getting a 3D printer, now there’s something that will keep you interested and busy...High recommended...:D

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
And if you have a partner make sure you have a pre-nuptial agreement in place before buying the 3D printer - you have been warned :lol:
Either that or you better print some useful stuff for your partner ;)

MikeBG

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma PRO-1
I was looking for a way to do scheduled nozzle checks on my printers. (every 3 days for me)
I know MIS autoprint exists, but it sends a purge page without actually telling me the nozzles are clean.

I've found a way!!! The trick is to capture the data sent to the printer for a nozzle check, and keep the spool
file to use in whatever way we wish.

1. First share the printer from the printers folder in the control panel. Give it a simple name because we will need to create a batch file later on.
I shared mine as "IP4500".

2. Pause the print queue for that printer. To do this, double click on the printer in the printers section of the control
panel. Then click on the "PRINTER" menu and on the "PAUSE PRINTING"

3. Run the nozzle check utility from your printer driver software. You will see the data go from the driver to the
print spooler, but it will stay stuck in the spooler
I cannot get this to work on my PRO-1000 printer. The nozzle check seems to get printed without going to the print queue so no files get left in spool\PRINTERS even if printing is paused.

Any ideas to get this working?

paulcroft

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100

@crenedecotret

I've recently updated my pc but I'm still using my faithful Pro-100. It's not used often these days so I run a nozzle check every so often and have a shortcut to my own version of your autonozzle.bat and these instructions were essential in my being able to adapt it for the new pc - in essence I'd forgotten to share the printer.

I love that these forums are available and kept. Thank you staff - and for your invaluable guidance over the years.

fwiw my PRO-100 is still running (faultlessly - touch wood) almost certainly because of the invaluable advice found here to NEVER let the ink cartridges run dry.

Best wishes to all, I still look in occasionally

Paul

Herb

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TS5350
I'm trying to extract the SPL file, but I have some problems.

First of all, pausing printing doesn't stop the nozzle check sheet from being printed.
And I didn't see any files inside Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS during printing. I enabled showing of hidden and system files too.
Maybe they get deleted quickly? Or they're in another location? I'm using Windows 10.

Can someone upload the SPL file here? I assume they're all the same for Canon inkjet printers, if not please let me know. A simple PDF file would be even better.
Oh and I use A4 size paper.

I cannot get this to work on my PRO-1000 printer. The nozzle check seems to get printed without going to the print queue so no files get left in spool\PRINTERS even if printing is paused.

Any ideas to get this working?
I have the same problem. Did you ever figure it out?

Last edited:

paulcroft

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
I'm trying to extract the SPL file, but I have some problems.

First of all, pausing printing doesn't stop the nozzle check sheet from being printed.
And I didn't see any files inside Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS during printing. I enabled showing of hidden and system files too.
Maybe they get deleted quickly? Or they're in another location? I'm using Windows 10.

Can someone upload the SPL file here? I assume they're all the same for Canon inkjet printers, if not please let me know.

I had the same problem. However, you don't actually need to copy the SPL file, all you need to do is tell the system what to do with it. In my case my printer is shared as PRO100 so the SPL file gets labelled - by the computer - as PRO100.SPL and thus the second line of the batch file reads: COPY /B PRO100.SPL LPT3.

My complete batch file for autonozzle is:

NET USE LPT3: \\LOCALHOST\PRO100
COPY /B PRO100.SPL LPT3
NET USE LPT3: /DELETE

Hope that helps.

Paul

Last edited:

Herb

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon TS5350
However, you don't actually need to copy the SPL file, all you need to do is tell the system what to do with it.
But that file has to exist somewhere on the drive, doesn't it? (next to that batch file)

I tried it anyway and, as expected, it didn't work... "The system cannot find the file specified"