Constructive Crit' please

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Nice videos Martin, well focused and framed and straight to the point. :)
( The Hat, I didn’t need to RAISE THE VOLUME. )
It's the old age... happens to us all... :hide

Some minor points, that I think it’s worth commenting:

1- In my experience, it’s best to dedicate a syringe for each colour, Cleaning the tip of the syringe with a cloth after refilling one colour isn’t enough to avoid a certain amount of contamination.
Ah... Noted.. Classic example of assumption on my part. The actual kit we sell includes one syringe per colour but I took that for granted and didn't highlight it as a result.

2. Syringes with a rubber seal don’t last long. Ink solvents attack slowly the rubber, which bloats progressively making more and more difficult to push/pull the plunge, until you can’t do it anymore or the rubber seal gets unstuck from the plastic plunge. Not a big deal, just more syringes to purchase.
Anyway, there’re syringes with an all-plastic plunge (no rubber) that don’t suffer from this problem. although they don’t make a seal as good as rubber and sometimes a couple of drops escape from the back of the syringe if you push too hard. Choose your poison..:rolleyes:
Those carts only have a max capacity of 20ml which I find to be a little too small a volume but I do have a big box of the ruddy things so perhaps I should take a look at the differences and heck, do a video on it ;) Food for thought.. thanks.

3- All the pigments inks that I've tried ( Octoinks for PGI-72, Inktec, Canon OEM) have a density slightly above 1g/cc. I measured several of them and they ranged from 1.04 to 1.07 g/cc. Exception was your chroma optimizer for PGI-72 that had exactly water density.
For instance, 14ml of PGI-72 ink weight roughly 15g. ( or 15ml = 16g). Of course, 1g won’t matter much, but in the case of the Pro-1000, 80ml would range from 83 to 85g. and that’s already a sizeable difference.
Agreed... I didn't do my due diligence on that which is why there's the correction in the subtitles. I wonder if I fudged it a little by not committing to either filling by volume or by weight and not flip flopping between the two.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I would propose that you add a direct link your YT videos onto the resp. page for the particular cartridge type in your web shop, or even embed it there directly.

I'm not a Canon but an Epson user but would be able to get a perfect refill directly on the first instance with your videos.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I measured several of them and they ranged from 1.04 to 1.07 g/cc
When you look up the safety data sheets you see a slightly varying ratio of the water/glycole mix between different inks, the average amounts to 1.05 what I have seen over a longer time. That can make a small difference if you refill by weight or by volume.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I would propose that you add a direct link your YT videos onto the resp. page for the particular cartridge type in your web shop, or even embed it there directly.
Took me a couple of seconds to get what you meant... Yeah, putting video content in the actual product pages is definitely a good idea but a technical hurdle I need to address as the store I use is out of date for embedding videos at the moment.

I'm not a Canon but an Epson user but would be able to get a perfect refill directly on the first instance with your videos.
Thanks... Appreciate the vote of confidence.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@The Hat I'm just shocked you watched a video
I was hoping for some slim chance of a gratuity from Websnail.. :caf :lol:
( The Hat, I didn’t need to RAISE THE VOLUME. )
I’m sorry because I don’t have your 20/20 (Vision) Hearing.. :old:lol:
. Syringes with a rubber seal don’t last long. Ink solvents attack slowly the rubber, which bloats progressively making more and more difficult to push/pull the plunge,
On the sticking plunger in the syringe, a good way of rejuvenating the rubber is to apply a few drops of Propylene Glycol into the back of the syringe and that will help it move much easier, or remove the plunger and apply by hand.. :thumbsup
but in the case of the Pro-1000, 80ml would range from 83 to 85g. and that’s already a sizeable difference.
As far as the weight to liquid volumes are concerned, the 1 gm. to 1 ml. is as close as you’re going to get, no matter how many time you measure it, because its plus or minus nothing in the end.. The Pro 1000 carts can take another 10% with no difficulty..
Took me a couple of seconds to get what you meant... Yeah, putting video content in the actual product pages is definitely good
Try linking the channel page here in your signature on this forum, others do that..;)

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I’m sorry because I don’t have your 20/20 (Vision) Hearing.. :old:lol:
Probably it's because the volume on my earphones was already VERY HIGH when I opened the video :p

Last edited:

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
On the sticking plunger in the syringe, a good way of rejuvenating the rubber is to apply a few drops of Propylene Glycol into the back of the syringe and that will help it move much easier, or remove the plunger and apply by hand.. :thumbsup

As far as the weight to liquid volumes are concerned, the 1 gm. to 1 ml. is as close as you’re going to get, no matter how many time you measure it, because its plus or minus nothing in the end.. The Pro 1000 carts can take another 10% with no difficulty..
Interesting idea about the propylene glycol, but I don't have this product. To prepare the conditioner recipe of 'the pharmacist' I used diethylene glycol instead ( still have some from my old days of color film developing). Diethylene glycol solvant properties are similar to propylene glycol, but it has the problem of being moderately toxic, so I'lI leave the rubber seal of the syringes to die of 'natural causes'. Besides, I use 'all-plastic' syringes for refilling most of my carts. Only the big 60ml model for refilling Maxify's black cart has a rubber seal.

BTW
80gr isn't equal to 84 gr. Close enough for practical purposes maybe, but why introduce unnecessary errors on the equation when you can easily avoid it ?.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
80gr isn't equal to 84 gr. Close enough for practical purposes maybe, but why introduce unnecessary errors on the equation when you can easily avoid it ?.
I know where you're coming from with this. The difficulty I see with this is that the only way to guarantee that a user puts the full amount of ink into the cartridge is to do one of two or three things.
  1. Have a table of cartridge weights that indicate when a cartridge is full (probably the most practical now that I think about it).
  2. Draw out all remaining ink, record it and then push it back in before topping up with the required amount. The only issue I see with this is that you can potentially mix up old ink with the new ink in your bottle but on further consideration, you're doing that in the internal printer buffers anyway so I suppose it's a bit moot. I guess I'm just a bit of a purist in this regard.
  3. Have a table of specific gravity for each ink and a calculation of exactly how much is needed to top up to full based on weight. Totally unrealistic for the average (or even the advanced user).
On balance I think I've argued myself into not necessarily assuming the first two ideas are necessarily bad ones although I think the first one is the best as I'm loath to encourage users to mix old and new inks on the basis it might be someone with a different printer model where mixing might create more problems, not less.
Table it is... Hope you enjoyed this externalised thought process.. :fl

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
And in other news... I've added a few more videos this past week covering.

1. Full set swapping for the Pro-300 although it covers the overall process for those with and without chip resettable cartridges.
  2. Flushing & initial refilling cartridges that have never been refilled before (primarily for the PGI-9 / 72 and PFI-300 but the flushing part is still useful for other ink tank type cartridges).

...and...

3. How to dig yourself out of a fluster cluck when you put the wrong ink in a cartridge and need to fix things. (I did this on purpose.. *cough* honest!)
On a bit of a roll with the video content at the moment so more to come. Hopefully the vid's are getting better... :hide:hu

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Have a table of cartridge weights that indicate when a cartridge is full (probably the most practical
I have always relied on this safe formula of 1 gm. = 1 ml. and it never failed in any way, the differences in weight between inks is so mynute that no errors has ever showed up, maybe had I been working with even larger volume cartridges then things might have been different.

But what I noticed was the maximum safe amount that a cart can hold is always higher to what Canon recommends, the PGl-29 carts calculation by Canon was 84 gm. but I regularly filled to 94 gm, I couldn’t get any more in safely without it spilling out..
On a bit of a roll with the video content at the moment so more to come. Hopefully the vid's are getting better..
I must have a look....:ep