Constructive Crit' please

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
At the risk of sounding like I'm trying to do a little underhand promotion (given that this my post is about my OctoInkjet YouTube channel) I'd like to get some warts and all reviews of the current content so that I can improve pretty much everything from how I tackle the filming, setup and camera angles to how long I make the videos... Having just spent the last couple of months taking another big stab at a few videos guides, even a marketing piece (which is not my forte!) I'd like to get feedback now before I go all out on the next batch... and hopefully do a better job.

The channel is here (https://www.youtube.com/c/octoinkjet/videos)

So, any of your constructive thoughts would be welcome but just as a guideline here's a few initial questions:
  • Should I put my "lovely" mug on screen?
  • Am I missing information or giving too much?
  • Would it be better to include the voiceover or demonstrate everything so it's more accessible for non-English language users?
  • Would it be worth having different styles of video that cover the same thing (ie: demo speed run throughs as one version and long-winded "explain everything" as an alternative)?
  • ... and anything else you can think of

Basically anything you can provide in terms of feedback would be appreciated... :hide

So, here's your chance to lend me your eyeballs and even potentially agree with me eldest who has suggested that I should be making sleep tapes for insomniacs! *ouch*
:smack

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Basically anything you can provide in terms of feedback would be appreciated... :hide
A nice compilation of your helpful videos all in one place, and yes some of them are a bit long winded , mostly I found some where the sound was Poorish and a great help for sleepy heads.. But not a turn off…:duc
P.S. But if I was someone looking for help or advice then they are excellent..:thumbsup

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I'm not really a regular user of Youtube content - just a few clips about printhead flushing.

I think a clip should start with a brief personal introduction and the company you are representing, a short introduction what the clip is about - an index if several subjects are covered , and a word if special or non-standard tools are required and used, and the scene should be well lit.

'and even potentially agree with me eldest who has suggested that I should be making sleep tapes for insomniacs'

Just ask this 'eldest' how he would create such a clip - would he add a track with background music ? Or adding some graphic effects ? or ????????????

Last edited:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I'm not really a regular user of Youtube content - just a few clips about printhead flushing.

I think a clip should start with a brief personal introduction and the company you are representing, a short introduction what the clip is about - an index if several subjects are covered , and a word if special or non-standard tools are required and used, and the scene should be well lit.
I try to avoid too much repeated intro' as it's a fast track to losing the short attention span crowd but I take your point that an intro' video might be worth doing.

The bit about pre-prep' on what tools needed, etc... is definitely a good idea though... and yes agree about well lit. A friend helped me redo the space I'm using to improve that.

'and even potentially agree with me eldest who has suggested that I should be making sleep tapes for insomniacs'

Just ask this 'eldest' how he would create such a clip - would he add a track with background music ? Or adding some graphic effects ? or ????????????
I suspect he was egged on by his mother (we have such a loving relationship! :tongue) but I'll have a chat with him about it when he's had a play with his own video creations... At the moment he's still a consumer and not really able to communicate what he does/doesn't like about instructional videos beyond the subject material. One for when he's a bit older maybe.

Thanks for the input.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Put a couple more videos on the channel in the last 24 hours so if anyone is of a mind to comment on the newer format that'd be appreciated.

I don't want to plug anything so feel free to send by PM if that's preferred.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I don't want to plug anything so feel free
Curiosity get the better of me and I watch the refilling of the Pro 1000 and a bit of the Pro 1 cartridge..

It started off well but after a couple of minutes the volume started to get fairly low (Muttering) and I had to increase the volume my end..

Now it was nice to see you refiling the Pro 1000 cartridge properly and not drilling holes in the Feckin thing as other eejits do, also I would start the refilling procedure by pulling back on the syringe just to let some of the air out first, especially on the Pro 1 cartridge..

Other than that nice clean Job.. take the rest of the day off..:)

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Content, content and more regular content is the secret to getting interested customers but one quick tip...

Do some reading or watch a few vidoes on Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) for YT channels. A little time spent doing a good comprehensive description with keywords links etc. for your videos will get a lot more traffic to the channel. Video is the way to go if you are wanting to promote products these days ;)

Last edited:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Content, conten and more regualr content is the secret to getting interested customers but one quick tip...

Do some reading or watch a few vidoes on Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) for YT channels. A little time spent doing a good comprehensive description with keywords links etc. for your videos will get a lot more traffic to the channel. Video is the way to go if you are wanting to promote products these days ;)
Thanks for the nudge... I'm keenly aware that it's an area that I've lacked the motivation to dig into when there's so ruddy much else to do, but yeah... I need to do the work across the board. First I need to learn P
Curiosity get the better of me and I watch the refilling of the Pro 1000 and a bit of the Pro 1 cartridge..
Good ole curiosity ;)

It started off well but after a couple of minutes the volume started to get fairly low (Muttering) and I had to increase the volume my end..

I'll take that on board... I use a lapel mic to get a clearer audio track but placement has been an issue so I'll do a bit of experimentation on making that a bit more reliable.

Now it was nice to see you refiling the Pro 1000 cartridge properly and not drilling holes in the Feckin thing as other eejits do, also I would start the refilling procedure by pulling back on the syringe just to let some of the air out first, especially on the Pro 1 cartridge..

Other than that nice clean Job.. take the rest of the day off..:)
:) As with all videos I do my research first but somehow I always manage to forget one stage... but a day off? What's that again?

:gig

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Nice videos Martin, well focused and framed and straight to the point. :)
( The Hat, I didn’t need to RAISE THE VOLUME. )

Some minor points, that I think it’s worth commenting:

1- In my experience, it’s best to dedicate a syringe for each colour, Cleaning the tip of the syringe with a cloth after refilling one colour isn’t enough to avoid a certain amount of contamination.

2. Syringes with a rubber seal don’t last long. Ink solvents attack slowly the rubber, which bloats progressively making more and more difficult to push/pull the plunge, until you can’t do it anymore or the rubber seal gets unstuck from the plastic plunge. Not a big deal, just more syringes to purchase.
Anyway, there’re syringes with an all-plastic plunge (no rubber) that don’t suffer from this problem. although they don’t make a seal as good as rubber and sometimes a couple of drops escape from the back of the syringe if you push too hard. Choose your poison..:rolleyes:

3- All the pigments inks that I've tried ( Octoinks for PGI-72, Inktec, Canon OEM) have a density slightly above 1g/cc. I measured several of them and they ranged from 1.04 to 1.07 g/cc. Exception was your chroma optimizer for PGI-72 that had exactly water density.
For instance, 14ml of PGI-72 ink weight roughly 15g. ( or 15ml = 16g). Of course, 1g won’t matter much, but in the case of the Pro-1000, 80ml would range from 83 to 85g. and that’s already a sizeable difference.