Computer forum?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
SATA-3/600 SSD
https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/...fference-between-sata-i,-sata-ii-and-sata-iii

SATA III = Faster Data Transfer Rate = Good

Thanks once I get this computer on line it will need a video card and a Samsung SSD.
The brand of SSD you get is up to you. There is more than one that perform well, but, yes, I think Samsung Evo's are a safe bet in general.

Your Dell Optiplex 7010 with I5-3570 3.4G processor should have a graphics chip built in. From my research it may be the Intel® HD Graphics 2500. (Supported games per Intel) This will be sufficient for much or all of what most people do except for certain games played at high resolution / special effects levels and intense photo/video manipulations. Simple image/video manipulations probably will be fine with this GPU (Graphics Processing Unit). If not then you can add a video card and simply turn off the onboard graphics chip in the BIOS/EUFI.

If I am looking at the right computer, yours has both a Display Port and a VGA port on the back to plug in two monitors at one time. Nice.

Also, you might be happy with the 2 TB HDD that comes with the computer. Give it a good test drive before buying an SSD. You can always spend money later. :thumbsup

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Back in the Win XP days I had a Dell Optiplex GX620 Ultra Small Form Factor. It was a 3 GHz P4 machine. The computer had a sticker marked "Service Tag" attached. This service tag had a code that was the key to the service manual, drivers and history of the computer at the Dell support website. I don't know if this still applies? If so the manual and drivers are certainly worth downloading.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi Ron,
Aren’t you glad you decide to post your computer problem here and not somewhere else...:hugs

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Startman thanks for the additional information.

Peter BJ this Dell has been rebuilt and the product key sticker has a big black X over that sticker. I don’t know how that works but the Computer now has been upgraded to Windows 10 Pro and the BIOS has been upgraded from A13 to A24.

Hat
Yes I am glad you guys have helped a great deal.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
the Computer now has been upgraded to Windows 10 Pro
If a computer is upgraded from Windows 7 or 8 then you have 30 days to try Windows 10 out before the previous Windows version is deleted from the hard drive.

Also, the hidden partition on the hard drive that Dell and other builders make to store a factory fresh installation copy of the operating system is deleted when you upgrade to Windows 10.

Windows 10 handles product key in one of two ways. If you install a copy of Windows 10 from an installation disk then you will use a product key to activate your copy of Windows. If you need to reinstall Windows 10 hen you use your product key from the installation disk or packaging. This is no different that previous versions of Windows.

BUT... if you upgraded from Windows 7 or 8 then your product key from the earlier version of Windows is turned into a Windows 10 Digital License which is kept on a Microsoft server. First, your old product key from Windows 7 or 8 no longer will work, ie you cannot reinstall your old version of Windows (the only exception is the 30 day trial period I wrote about above). Second, your new Digital License for Windows 10 will automatically be activated by the Microsoft server if you need to reinstall Windows 10. No more entering a long alphanumeric string when reinstalling Windows.***

How to find out if you are using a Digital License or Product Key:

Select the Start button, and then select Settings > Update & Security > Activation.

If your Microsoft account is linked, you’ll see this message on the Activation page:

Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account.

***Caveat - Depending on the Windows license you own, you may or may not be able to migrate your Windows 10 to a different computer or substantially different same computer (eg change motherboard or microprocessor). A retail copy can be installed on any machine, though of course only one machine at a time. An OEM copy, typically ones installed by Dell and other builders, can only be used on the machine originally installed on.

A new hard drive, such as changing to an SSD, or new video card should not trigger an issue. Also, if a conflict does occur, a phone call to Microsoft has been known to resolve activation issues if your explanation seems ok.

Bottom line... you do not need a product key as you now have a digital license and if you ever need to reinstall Windows 10 then the Microsoft server will automatically enter in your digital license and activate Windows during the installation process. Easy peasy.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
:yuckyuck

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
OK I messed up and now this Dell 7010 with Win10 will no longer recognize a PS2 mouse. This is boring so be warned.

This computer has been back in its shipping box since December because of health problems. I ordered two Lexor 32GB USB 2.0 jumpdrives hoping to make a copy of the Hard Drive using the “Back up and Restore (Windows 7)” feature in Win 10 control panel.

Well the computer recognized the jumpdrive as E drive and said it had to be formatted to NTFS. Formatted the drive to NTFS and went back to “Create a system image” and now it said “This drive is not a valid backup location.”

Then I got the bright idea to use a good 80GB SATA HD and mount it in the computer hoping the computer would recognize it. Plugged the SATA cable in the next empty slot on the mother board slot #2 with slot #0 having the Factory HD and slot #1 having the factory DVD drive.

When I turned the computer on the mouse arrow was frozen so I unplugged the computer and removed the second HD and put every thing back like factory but now the PS2 mouse pointer is gone and the computer does not see any PS2 mouse.

Any suggestions on how to bring back the PS2 mouse without using “Restore to Factory Settings” option.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Are you getting any error message? If so, what is it (word for word)?

Some things are difficult to diagnose from afar, so I'll post several links and maybe one of them will work for you. You may also consider buying a USB mouse, like one with a back button by your thumb.

https://superuser.com/questions/996001/do-ps2-keyboards-work-on-windows-10

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledg...t-working-after-upgrade-system-to-windows-10/

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000254.htm

https://hitech-us.com/articles/entry/303/PS/2-mouse-is-not-working-on-Windows-10

Read all the links first and try the suggestions in the order you feel seems best. You may find other potential solution on a Google search.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Stratman thanks for finding those links.

There are no error messages it is like the link to the PS2 mouse socket is fried or something. A USB mouse will still work but I want every thing to work like it was before I messed things up. I don’t see why having a extra HD plugged in should have caused any thing other than a pop-up message.

I am so upset about this computer I cant see straight.