Computer forum?

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
I am looking for a computer forum that is not a bunch of pampas jerk.

There must be some computer forum that won’t thumb their nose at a senile old fart looking for a little help.

Thanks
Ron

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I am looking for a computer forum that is not a bunch of pampas jerk.
Nope, sorry Ron, that creature doesn’t exist, all the computer forums are manned by nerds from other planets..

Why don’t you give it a try here, go ahead and ask your question, there might be someone that can help you.... ;)

Question:.... ? :bow

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Long story but what I have:

Refurbished Dell Optiplex 7010 with I5-3570 3.4G processor

8 GB DDR3 Memory

2TB Hatachi hard drive

DVDRW optical drive

No instructions or any thing to help me with set up.

The computer does look and smell like new inside and out.

The Problem:
I know nothing about Windows 10 still using XP.

The computer is supposed to have windows 10 Pro installed on the hard drive waiting for me to set it up. From what little I have read you can set things up so you don’t have to log in every time you turn the computer on.

I just want to find out if this takes place during set up or any time after set up.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/automatically-log-in-to-your-windows-10-pc/

About a year ago I asked on a electronics forum what computer I needed to buy to be able to watch youtube and basic internet stuff. They recommended the Optiplex 7010 computer for $250 instead of a new Dell XPS-8910 for $625.

I finally got around to ordering the 7010 because the XPS deal only lasted for one week and they ran out of 8910s and 8920s are pricey. Now those same guys that recommended the Optiplex 7010 and told me they would help are totally ignoring me.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
I forgot the pictures.

s1044136_sc7.jpeg
s1044138_sc7.jpeg

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I just want to find out if this takes place during set up or any time after set up.
I do not recall whether I had to make a setting change after installation/setup or I was able to bypass the logon by not setting up a password or a Microsoft Account (both of these you can skip during setup) or more than one account (more than one user of the computer, each with their own sign in and therefore their own customization of the OS, bookmarks/favorites, email, etc).

Yes, this is one way to change settings after installation. Like so much that is Windows, there is more than one way to accomplish the same task:

2 different ways

3 different ways

Sometimes it is good to read different posts on the same task because you might glean additional information that helps. Anyways, if you have set up windows and find you must click on the logon screen then now you have 3 different ways to bypass it.

Speaking of setup, here is a link that goes through the user required setup steps for Windows 10. Again, note you do not need to enter a password or a Microsoft account if you do not want to. Skip it!

https://www.hardwarezone.com.my/feature-heres-step-step-guide-installing-windows-10

Here is a brief selection of Windows 10 setup tips. You can find many more on Google with search term "Windows 10 Tips".

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-tips-and-tricks

Last for tonite... a handy standalone app, from a safe web site, to easily make privacy/security settings changes in Windows 10:

O&O ShutUp10

This app makes short work of things as many setting controls are different than in Win XP.

Honestly, you can spend hours tweaking things or not, it's up to you.

Last edited:

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Stratman thank you very much for going to all of that trouble.

Those links gave me enough info to get through set up.

I used a different user name and that let set up finish. Then I went in to Settings-Accounts-Family and deleted second user.

Don’t know what I did but the computer does not show a log in screen. Yeah.

I cant find any thing in windows 10 without a directions.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I cant find any thing in windows 10 without a directions.
Yep. You'll feel out of sorts for a while and then you will adapt. I loved XP, however, Windows 10 is a better OS in stability and power. For instance, the annoying but sometimes useful built in search app Cortana can actually help you find Windows functions on your computer and search the internet. Example - typing "Paint" in Cortana will take you to that program. Some hide Cortana. I shrunk the space it took in the taskbar to a small icon and occasionally use it. (right click on Taskbar and select Cortana and choose what you want)

True, there are some annoying things, like the controls are rearranged and the compelled updates even in the Pro version, but it is well worth the upgrade even with our growing pains.

Good luck!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
@Ron350 It might be a negative thing that things are done differently in Windows 10, but a good thing about Windows 10 is that good old Canon printers still work even if they are not officially supported. Drivers for earlier Windows version often work well. Most often it is not necessary to install the driver in compatibility mode. I have had old printers like Canon i965 and iP4000 work on a Windows 10 laptop. See this post and this.