Pixma MP620 cannot scan via Navigator

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Been driving me mad for ages. when using MP Navigator I get the message error in scan driver. Even if I use built in Windows scan facility I get a different longer message but amounts to the same. Tried various sites online tried downloading a another Navigator but get same result. However if I go to control panel and select printer and scan from there it seems to work.

Also can now only print via LAN cable. My wireless settings all seem fine in the printers settings page.

Any ideas appreciated it seems a common problem from the number of complaints online. Windows 10 probably may be to blame.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have both a laptop running 32 bit Windows 10 and a Canon MP620. I have just made a successful trial install of the MP620 on the laptop.

Canon offers no drivers for Win 10 for this printer, but the "Mini master setup" that supports Windows versions from 2000 up to and included 8.1 works perfectly with Win 10. Compatibility mode is not necessary. You should download the proper 32 or 64 bit version for your OS. The install procedure is the same as installing from the install CD: The printer must not be connected to the computer and turned on before the install program asks for it.

With printer only machines you can do a plug-and-play install in Win 10, but with all-in-ones a downloaded driver is necessary, else the scanner doesn't work properly.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the information what I do not understand is that this laptop and Canon Pixma MP620 have been working fine for quite a long time. I have tried uninstalling/re-installing but scan driver error keeps coming up plus wireless connection does not work. I have not tried The Mini-Master download but will do so and see what happens.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Tried your link but the site would not let me download every time I selected download went back to their warnings post. Went onto Google and found the same download on cnet but American canon site, however I selected region, downloaded the Mini-Master program suggested and this time it was different it offered 3 different options, I selected the 3rd wireless one because I had already checked the LAN settings on the printer and they were correct. It immediately checked with printer and contact was confirmed. After this download installed I was able to print wireless again.
If you tried to scan via Navigator still got the scan error message. But if I selected scan in printer panel followed the instructions the scan preparation showed on the printer screen followed by the scan opening up on the computer screen in Navigator with all the usual edit facilities.
So all is well, if you are using USB cable perhaps it operates differently.
The other main crucial difference on the American download was 1. the option of 3 different options and most importantly you selected the port you wanted manually from a list which was different from the previous location. Its been a long struggle but finally back to full wireless operation. Print/copy/scan. Thanks for your support.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I selected the 3rd wireless one
I thought it was considered best to install a Canon by USB cable first and then set up wireless, not install by wireless. If so, maybe this is why the scanner does not function via Navigator software.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
When you search the Canon website for drivers and software the website detects your OS. If you use W 10 you get the message that no driver is availlable. Use the OS drop down menu to select for instance W 8.1 32 bit and the "Mini Master Setup" is now availlable for download.

With Win 10 detected you get this from Canon UK:
MP620 W10 driver 1.jpg

Change the OS and get this:
MP620 W10 driver 2.jpg

I also got the choice between 3 different connection methods when running the setup. I guess the download from the British and American Canon sites might be the same as you are asked to enter your region.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have an MP540 for which I also have the install CD. The MP540 and MP620 are same cartridge generation, and both printers are only officially supported by Windows 8.1 or older. I installed the MP540 on the Win 10 laptop using the install CD. It worked normally, no error messages about incompatibility, so if you have got the install CD for the MP620 installing from the CD might be better/easier. The Mini Master Setup only installs drivers, the CD has some extra software. These extra programs can also be downloaded from the Canon site, if you select the tab "Software" instead of "Drivers".

Last edited:

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
MP Navigator EX has been replaced with My Image Garden (see about 1/4 to a 1/3 from the bottom of this page https://www.canon.co.uk/support/pixma_software/).

I do not use Win 10 or My Image Garden so can not comment if it would solve your issue but may be worth a try.

If you still need MP Navigator i suggest looking at some of the other NON-UK and USA canon sites as the UK version from my memory for older devices is only something like version 2.x or 3.x the version here... http://support-th.canon-asia.com/contents/TH/EN/0200395702.html is 5.1.1 and claims to support Windows 10.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I downloaded and installed the Navigator v 5.1.1 from Asia and installed it on my Win 10 laptop. The program would not start, but not because of the OS but because it only supports a few printers of which I have none installed. I think these printers are Asian types. See this, it is Danish, but the list of printers are the supported models, click to enlarge:

Navigator 511.jpg

I installed everything from the MP540 install CD. Everything inclusive Navigator works normally under Win 10, but only with MP540. I cannot change the printer in the drop down menu in the settings, click to enlarge:

Navigator 2 MP540.jpg

It seems the Navigator program is made in many versions, each only supporting one or a few printers. I uninstalled these two versions of Navigator, restarted and installed the version 2.05 for MP620 under Win 8.1 32 bit from Canon UK. This works also under Win 10 and I can choose between more printers, click to enlarge:

Navigator 2 settings.jpg

And it works with Win 10, notice "MP620" in the upper left corner, click to enlarge:

Navigator 2 MP620.jpg

If you have the install CD I suggest to try that first, else you can use the download linked to from Canon UK.

Last edited:

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
These Canon printers use CNBJ ports (seems to be proprietary).
When you move printers back and forth they can't find the previous port anymore (although there can be plenty piled up already).
Scanners in particular are lousy.
Never found out how to clean this up neatly.
I install the driver again in this case.