CLI-8 compatable info posted on Printer Newsgroup

CanonPhreak

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The patent for which Epson has been suing companies has to do with the way the chip comes affixed to the cartridges. All new pre-filled compatibles which are now sold must come with the chip separate from the cartridge, the end-user must attach the chip before install. Cartridge blanks which are sold (without ink installed) are not subject to this limitation.

I got this information from John at Weink. He said that this is also is slowing down design of the aftermarket Canon chips for the CLI-8, a patent exists for the out indicator light.

websnail said:
That's my bet too... Hence my earlier comment regarding the whole "swapping one evil for another" ..

We'll see I guess.

As to the Epson patents... it's my understanding that Epson have a rather broad patent that is described simply as "sponge in a box".. ie: the use of a sponge/foam to restrict and control ink(fluid) flow. I've never seen the patent but that's how it was described to me by someone who is very much in the know.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
The mind boggles doesn't it...

Surely there's prior art to the whole "light indicates level of fluid" concept.. it's called a fuel or oil indicator.. How the hell did anyone patent something that is just plain common sense... :?

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
websnail said:
The mind boggles doesn't it...

Surely there's prior art to the whole "light indicates level of fluid" concept.. it's called a fuel or oil indicator.. How the hell did anyone patent something that is just plain common sense... :?
I'm sure you are right. Something has to be original to get a patent. It's probably just bluff like the wolf baring its teeth.

Maxwell the newspaper man got away with his criminal activities for years because people yielded to his threats of legal action.

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Armor, an ink supplier in France posted their newsletter with the announcement of a solution to the chipped printer iP4200 and such. They show December 2006 as the release date.

Their Kit for starting this alternate ink system is Ref # B12288 and includes the Adapter, 5 carts plus 3 color carts.

A search for sellers of this kit came up with several in Norway and France.

I wrote to one in France named GS2I. They have the kit available now for about $100 US plus shipping. I have asked for a definite price including UPS shipping to New England area. I will report their answer.