CLI-8 compatable info posted on Printer Newsgroup

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Jackson,

Yes that is the company, and they have not put the information on their website as yet. The information comes from a link that Fotofreek gave in an earlier post. The link is to a press release connected with a trade show and it is the announcment of their upcoming release of CLI-8 type cartridges. The link is:

http://www.armor.fr/upload/a2a-9916.pdf

Scroll down to page 6 to see the announcement.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I just figured how this thing might work.
They use the original Canon chips to maintain the correct identity and don't hack into the chip they simply put these on a carrier. They then put in a a circuit between the print head and each chip. This circuit simply counts the pulses that has been sent to each print head like Epson. When it is determines that sufficient pulses to the a particular tank has been achieved and it is empty it will then take the Canon OEM chip offline or disconnect it. This will stop the printer from working and thus protect the head.
I suspect they don't use an IR system though it is possible. This system can actually be vastly improved if integrated into a single refillable cartridge with one extra touch of clever engineering without the need for a subcarrier. The only sacrifice is a little less capacity. Hmmm..............
They do not mention that you can monitor ink level via software. Their warning is possibly simply using the LED on the chip carrier only because it exists and can be used. This is clever since the unsuspecting will think that the original Canon chip is doing the flashing of the LED but it is their own circuit doing it.

chippedoff

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
This seems like a good addition for my Mp830.

Unfortunately i do not see anywhere to purachse one, or even a web site.

chippedoff

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
That Armor.fr solution is very attractive. Especialy for our MP830 and IP4200's (same cartridges).

Unfortunately even if it lists as available in December 2K6, Which market are they speaking of? European only?

If any one could explain this unit a little in the chip dept.

q1: Do the Chips that are transfered over from the original Canon (OEM) cartridges have to be 100% new, or can they be used at any level?

q2: The mention of the cartridges and Geha is a bit confusing (too some). Can one use the original canon oem cartridges, or are new special cartridges needed?

Thanks.

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
New information about ARMOR and their proposed solution to CLI-8 for iP4200, etc.

On the Armor website is this link to their Newsletter.

http://www.armor-group.com/upload/a2a-1318.pdf

There they give information on the release of the CLI-8 "intelligent adaptor".

They list: Armor ref # B12288 as the "Starter Kit for iP4200, etc." It offers the Adaptor plus 5 carts plus 3 more color carts.

Some Armor inkjet compatible cartridges are for sale in USA already. I note that Epson has sued Armor for infringement of cartridge patents.

In the Armor newsletter they say " This patented invention offers the end user an option of quality to the original product, whilst answering his need to save money."

I don't know who the patents would be assigned to, or in which country the patents originated. Maybe to Artech GMBH ? That seems to be where their research is done. A quick attempt at a search of US patents has not found any of theirs.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
canonfodder,

I noted their statement: "LED lights that announces the cartridge end of life". This does not say that the printer's driver is informed of the low ink level - only that an LED will light. If true, this is obviously better than pulling the carts to check the ink level, but not as good as having the signal integrated into the driver.

I seem to remember seeing a translation from a german announcement indicating that their carts will cost about 60-70% as much as OEM carts. Not a big bargain unless you can refill them. I wonder if they will "chip" their carts to prevent this?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Grandad35 said:
I seem to remember seeing a translation from a german announcement indicating that their carts will cost about 60-70% as much as OEM carts. Not a big bargain unless you can refill them. I wonder if they will "chip" their carts to prevent this?
That's my bet too... Hence my earlier comment regarding the whole "swapping one evil for another" ..

We'll see I guess.

As to the Epson patents... it's my understanding that Epson have a rather broad patent that is described simply as "sponge in a box".. ie: the use of a sponge/foam to restrict and control ink(fluid) flow. I've never seen the patent but that's how it was described to me by someone who is very much in the know.

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The Armor kit B12288 is offered for sale on a Norwegian website. Probably more places too.
Link to the part:

http://multidata.webmercs.com/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:1147280

It is listed as "out of stock", meaning they haven't gotten delivery yet. Their price translates to $90 USD. They have a big tax and 25%VAT. I didn't find information on the individual carts. The kit has set of 5 plus 3 more.

The Armor Newsletter at one place says "lights the LED", but also says "...intelligent adaptor that ensures the communication between the cartridge and the printer." That seems to imply more.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more with the comments about it beeing not much of a savings. In the case of the ip4200 or ip4300 you pay more for the device than the cost of the printer for the benefit of saving very little. Better, in my opinion, to refill the OEM carts, visually inspect ink levels, and take your chances with the warranty. EXCEPT, as Grandad says, if they can be refilled, keep the ink monitor functioning, and protect the warranty. Still, the price is fairly stiff.