CLI-8 compatable info posted on Printer Newsgroup

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I copied this post from the printer newsgroup. Anyone able to translate from German? From the picture it doesn't appear to require transfer of the chip, and it claims to also monitor ink levels and protect the printhead.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ARMOR announced a new cartridge solution, replacing the
chipped cartridges on iP4200/5200... and
MP500/530/800...

http://www.druckerchannel.de/cache_..._konzept_armor_bietet_neues_system_laf7df.jpg

It's based on an adaptor, purchased only once, to hold special cartridges.

There's an original chip placed on the adaptor, while you clip in
special cartridges, e.g. from Geha.

http://www.armor.fr/upload/a2a-9916.pdf
http://www.german-hardcopy.de/news#newsID_210
http://www.german-hardcopy.de/files/ftpordner/Geha_Weltneuheit_CLI8_PGI5.pdf

delivery: from 2006-12-01 on
price: unknown

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The link ...........newsID 210 says:

Many months fiddled engineers, in order to offer an alternative to the chip-protected cartridges of the Canon-CLi-5 and/or 8-Serie. But also this task was solved with Bravour. The result are not only compatible products, but equal a whole compatible concept: the Geha Tuning kit! How does it function? The customer, who wants to transfer to compatible ink and thus a quantity wants to save money when printing (30 - 40%), buys first the Geha Tuning kit. Hereby it receives a complete cartridge set for its printer as well as a free adapter. These one in-clicks within seconds simply into the printer. Then the Geha cartridges as used into the adapter are clicked. In a back transmission bag free of postage the oem cartridges can be returned to the German hardcopy AG. We carry immediately 1 out to 1 replacement: for each sent in oem cartridge we send back a full adequate Geha cartridge to the sender. If the customer acquired once an adapter, this can remain in the printer. No further exchange is more necessary. Only the ink cartridges must be bought in addition. And it - as used - gives in the single luggage or in the bonus luggage. Thus one saves cartridges to even with a sentence up to 40% to the CAN on original product! That cannot! The Geha solution is the ingenious solution and limits the function of the printer in keinster way. On the contrary: with the Geha Tuning kits remain all functions full such as ink condition announcement etc. of the printer! In the printer or in the printer often commodity do not have to be changed attitudes. Everything remains like it is. The Geha solution is a finished High Tech solution. Is not necessary tinkering or changes of chips. And the most beautiful: the more one prints, the more saves one also. We wish much fun with the Abverkauf. Our field service will enter starting from in the middle of November into the active sales. Beside the products it will give many Abverkaufshilfen and action displays. The distribution begins at 01 December in time for the yearly final business.

Pardon if my German is a little rusty. Every time I translate, my English gets a little messy. I've got to talk to Google about this.

"keinster" is knowing or smart, not to be confused with "keister", which is ............

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Ah... I've heard about these..

They're basically a sort of adaptor that holds the chip and provides a carrier for their own cartridges..

Essentially what they've done means you only have to transfer the chips once to the carrier and from that point on they can stay in the printer while you just keep replacing the ink reservoirs as and when you require.

It's a nice idea and basically it makes something of a mockery of the whole Canon chipped cartridge because using this method you have a printhead, a carrier with chips and then the reservoirs (ink carts)... Strange how the world works :)

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
"The Geha solution is the ingenious solution and limits the function of the printer in keinster way. On the contrary: with the Geha Tuning kits remain all functions full such as ink condition announcement etc. of the printer! In the printer or in the printer often commodity do not have to be changed attitudes. Everything remains like it is. The Geha solution is a finished High Tech solution."

They make it sound like it is more than just the convenience of not changing the chips. They seem to be claiming that you would still have ink monitoring. I wonder.

Their pictures also seem to be showing 1 Canon chip and several things that look like chips under black epoxy down below. Suppose they have added an IC that solves the monitoring problem?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
canonfodder said:
They make it sound like it is more than just the convenience of not changing the chips. They seem to be claiming that you would still have ink monitoring. I wonder.

Their pictures also seem to be showing 1 Canon chip and several things that look like chips under black epoxy down below. Suppose they have added an IC that solves the monitoring problem?
You may be right actually... I assumed and promptly made an ass out of me and not you which was dumb..

Looks like it'd be worth approaching them and asking them if we could do a review because it does sound a lot like it could be exactly what a lot of people have been looking for... Assuming of course it does actually work ;)

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Armor says, "Solution easy to use,
Guaranteed Ink level control,
Warning linked to the cartridges's change (LEDs system),
No risk of printhead damage."

Available beginning in December.

I hope. They too really want to sell ink, so how will they treat refillers?

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
canonfodder said:
This image doesn't show any additional electronics and it only shows one set of contacts to the print head (it doesn't look like a Canon chip). If their carts have prisms, they should still be visible to the printer's sensors.
Geha3.jpg

This is a blowup of another of their images. It shows a chip mounted between 2 carts, but it doesn't look like there are any contacts to the chip - this may just be a mockup. However, there is a partially hidden printed circuit board that has square outlines about the size of the Canon chips. Also note that there are two holes in each square that approximately match the spacing of two of the vias on the Canon chip, so it would be easy to solder a complete chip set onto this PC board. If these chips use a simple 1 pin serial interface as has been postulated, every chip could be wired in parallel and connected to the single set of contacts shown on the first photo and still communicate with the printer.
Geha2.jpg

canonfodder said:
They seem to be claiming that you would still have ink monitoring.
The preceeding description would not explain how they do ink monitoring.

Their photos don't support this, but it should be possible to place a set of photo diodes under each prism in their carrier, then to disrupt communications with the chips when any of the carts appears as empty, stopping the printer. Neither if these would require any changes to the printer.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Looking at those pictures a little longer I'm wondering if perhaps what's being offered here is a different devil...

If you look closely it would seem that the new cartridges are also chipped with something from this manufacturer.. You still need to transfer your original Canon cart chips across (they only show one in the top photo but there's space for the others).. and then you have to replace the cartridges with THEIR replacements (granted cheaper, but still :().

I fail to see how this avoids the warranty issue (it's still going to come up unless they've cracked something in the chip) and in truth you're just exchanging devils, not excommunicating them.

Of course this is just WAG (Wild Assed Guesswork) but that's the only reason I can come up with for this system...

canonfodder

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The Armor web page gives an email address implying it is the place for press release information. I wrote there and the message bounced. The address was not recognized.

I wrote again, trying some guesses at addresses as I often do, and one guess didn't bounce. Maybe they will answer. Nothing yet.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Now it is possible that they found that they could count pulses with their own piggyback chip BUT could not respond to a verification of a Canon Identity thus requiring the original canon chip. Similar to Epson in a way.
Now if this this is the case, then Canon DID in fact leave room for compatible cartridges but they would have to crack encryption to do so. Noone has done that yet.
Notice that the manufacturer dearly wants the original cartridges from the buyer. They need these for a reason and it probably is that they need these for their carrier to respond with a Canon ID.